Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chisholm: Having Calderon Back Might Come In Handy For Raps

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chisholm: Having Calderon Back Might Come In Handy For Raps

This is a long article. I have only posted here the first and last paragraphs
    ================================================== =========

CHISHOLM: HAVING CALDERON BACK MIGHT COME IN HANDY FOR RAPS
    TIM CHISHOLM
    8/24/2010 5:49:46 PM

Three months ago, it looked like a virtual certainty that Jose Calderon would not be back with the Toronto Raptors. Now his return looks all but ensured after a hamstring injury knocked him out of the FIBA World Championships that begin this Saturday. However, before all you Raptors fans begin sticking needles in your eyes, consider that this might not be such a bad thing for a club looking to hand their immediate future to a collection of athletic finishers who all have trouble creating their own offence. Having a guy who knows how to get players the ball in their best spots might be just what the team needed (if for no other reason than to boost Calderon's trade value into a meaningful territory, but fortunately there are other reasons).
    When Bryan Colangelo pledged to remove one of his point guards at the conclusion of last season, the circumstances around the team were significantly different. The team could afford to lose one of them because Turkgolu was a quality playmaking option and in need of more minutes at the point. In truth, the glut Colangelo was trying to ease was not between Calderon and Jack, two players that don't really play the position in the same way at all, so much as it was to open more point guard duties for Turkoglu before he demanded a trade out of town. Going into the summer, Calderon represented a lot of skill duplication with eroding defensive abilities. Without a go-to offensive force like Bosh to dictate the tone of the offence this year, though, quality playmaking has to step-in to fill the void, meaning Calderon suddenly has a purpose on the Raptors again. While Jarrett Jack excels in several areas, he's never averaged more than 5.3 assists-per-game in a season, let alone anything close to the 8.6 assists Calderon averaged over the two seasons spanning 2007-2009. A trade may still well be in Calderon's future, perhaps even his near future, but it says here that if he winds up reporting to training camp as a Raptor, the club will have plenty of reasons to be happy about it. He didn't fit well into the team's structure last season, but this is a new year with new needs. Don't forget, too, that just because Calderon didn't get traded this summer, doesn't mean he can't get traded during the season or next summer without losing the same long-term financial benefits many were (somewhat arbitrarily) hoping for this summer.
    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=331546

This is Buddahfan and I approve this article
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Aug 24th, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I approve this article as well... maybe because I'm a Calderon fan... i guess my opinion doesn't count :P

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he can come back fresh and take a play-making/shooting role off of the bench. The new/young players can use his play-making skills and if Derozan/Weems/Johnson/Davis get inside consistently they can kick it out to Calderon for open shots. Let hope Davis' help defence takes into effect to nullify Calderon's allowed penetration.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the plan is to run n' gun, Calderon seems like a good fit too me.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that keeping Calderon won't be the worst thing ever. I mean we don't have any real good point guard backups and we have guys that really can't create their own offense so it is still a plus for keeping Calderon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I always thought that keeping Calderon won't be the worst thing ever. I mean we don't have any real good point guard backups and we have guys that really can't create their own offense so it is still a plus for keeping Calderon.
    Actually probably because of put backs Johnson had a lower field goals "assisted" percentage last season than Bargnani did. On the other hand as you will see from the stats below Johnson had a higher percentage of his FG assisted than other PF who score mostly on inside. It seems to me that that is because he gets a lot higher percentage of his FGs on assisted plays like run outs, alley-oops, pick and roll than do the other PF/C who score more in the paint than on jump shots.

% FG Assisted 09-10
    -----------------------
    Bargnani-----77%
    Johnson-----69%

69% is high and 77% is almost astronomical.

By comparison

Amar'e-------61%
    Bosh---------50% - Now that is really low for a PF
    Gasol--------57%
    Randolph-----47% - Wow, even lower than Bosh
    Dirk----------63%
    Murphy-------77% - Another high volume 3 pt shooter
    Lewis---------71% - Another high volume 3 pt shooter
    West---------58%

So the pattern that is developing here is that PF/C who shoots a lot of three balls have a substantially higher percentage of their shots assisted than the PF/C who scores most of his points in the paint.

So if anyone will need Calderon's help in 10-11 it will be Bargnani more so than Johnson

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAC.HTM
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally i like to keep the guy... i always liked him and his play... and rather not have to retire the only raptor jersey i own with his name -_-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

yea the best thing for a run n gun offense is a pg with a injury prone leg which disables him from running fast.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
    yea the best thing for a run n gun offense is a pg with a injury prone leg which disables him from running fast.
    hahaha here we go again. im waiting on what sleepz and sirchilly are going to say.
    maybe you guys will find a way to link calderon's injured leg to BC's mismanagement of the raptors

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    hahaha here we go again. im waiting on what sleepz and sirchilly are going to say.
    maybe you guys will find a way to link calderon's injured leg to BC's mismanagement of the raptors
    tbihis don't worry it will not take long; they probably have not woken up as yet. You definitely nailed the sam guys that find and blame every flaw on B.C or Bargnani while praising Sir Douchebag himself the almighty RuPaul.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pizzaman wrote: View Post
    tbihis don't worry it will not take long; they probably have not woken up as yet. You definitely nailed the sam guys that find and blame every flaw on B.C or Bargnani while praising Sir Douchebag himself the almighty RuPaul.
    hahaha +1

Post Thanks / Like

Say what?

Davis rebounds the ball throws it to mid-court to Calderon who didn't have to go too far to get there from his position on defense on the prior play. Calderon takes two quick dribbles and while looking at Jack on the bench throws a perfect 40 foot alley-oop pass.

Unfortunately the Raptors don't score as Amir, Sonny and DeMar all leap at the same time and in the same place for the pass, Their faces smash against the rim, their bodies collide and they crash to the hardwood. Thus ending forever the myth that is the YGZ®

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's try an experiment. You run down the court and I'll throw a basket-ball, and we'll see who gets to the other baseline the fastest. If you running a fast break you need your receivers to run fast. All the pg has to do is pass the ball. It sounds easy but making a long pass is harder than just hucking it down the court. fortunately jose is an above average passer. He doesn't need to beat his man or anyone else's man down the court. He just needs his wings to do that and pass ball. He's penchant for too many dribbles is a bigger problem than his quickness.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Let's try an experiment. You run down the court and I'll throw a basket-ball, and we'll see who gets to the other baseline the fastest. If you running a fast break you need your receivers to run fast. All the pg has to do is pass the ball. It sounds easy but making a long pass is harder than just hucking it down the court. fortunately jose is an above average passer. He doesn't need to beat his man or anyone else's man down the court. He just needs his wings to do that and pass ball. He's penchant for too many dribbles is a bigger problem than his quickness.
    Well said!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    It seems to me to depend on who you are talking about

If it is Kevin Love then making that long pass is easier

If it is Amir then running down the court is easier

P.S. I don't know that the term "hucking" works in your sentence

To huck is to throw oneself widely up in the air and/or off something.

see link

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hucking

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Calderon/Jack is going to be one of the strongest pg combos in the league hands down. They obviously don't hold a torch to the elite pg's in the L, but they are definately not on the lower echelon either. I think for BC to trade either of them would be completely idiotic, because they each run different styles of offence. This will be great in assessing what type of pg we will need for the future, and what style of pg fits in best with the Raps young guys: Derozan, Weems, Bargs, Amir, Davis, Dorsey, etc..

Raptors Republic Rookie noxleno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Calderon/Jack is going to be one of the strongest pg combos in the league hands down. They obviously don't hold a torch to the elite pg's in the L, but they are definately not on the lower echelon either. I think for BC to trade either of them would be completely idiotic, because they each run different styles of offence. This will be great in assessing what type of pg we will need for the future, and what style of pg fits in best with the Raps young guys: Derozan, Weems, Bargs, Amir, Davis, Dorsey, etc..
    Good call. Now that we finally have some sense of a young core group of players, we should give Calderon and Jack at least one more fair chance to work with them using their contrasting styles; whichever style proves more effective can serve as the benchmark when determining what to look for in terms of prospective PGs. I still think a healthy Calderon will end up being the better option to maximize the potential of a core like the Young'unz.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    only problem with the 2 headed pg monster is it really stunts the development of both of them and it's hard to develop chemistry when every game you're JJ or jose and you're not sure how many minutes you're gona get or after every missed shot, do you have to look at the bench to see if you're getting pulled or not...

plus what might work in the regular season, WONT WORK in the playoffs as the opposing teams will have their starting pg on the court for 40 mins like in the 2007 playoffs when J kidd lit up both jose and tj with i think 15 assists per game over the course of the series.

also, while it would be great to have two pg's to evaluate what works better for the young gunz, that "evaluation" is costing the team $30 million and in a salary cap world, having over one sixth of your cap flexibility spent on that is a waste.

so anyone who says they would like for calderon to get traded isnt necessarily saying they dont like his game, what they are really saying is his contract is hurting the team in the long run.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Blog. Blog. Blog. If the NBA season is the main attraction, than the offseason is the Prequel.

Unfortunately most prequels aren't very good - they get lost in the hoopla and play second fiddle to what follows.

Jose Calderon, on the other hand, seems to appreciate the way prequels develop the story.

Evidence?

In Calderon's first NBA season, the young point guard couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

So what did he do?

He spent the summer working on his jump shot and by the time the main attraction rolled around, Calderon had developed a nearly automatic mid range jumper (which seems to be a lost art in the NBA).

Well, what else does this young man do? Certainly a jump shot isn't enough to base a prequel on (know matter how lack luster prequels tend to be).

Calderon forgoes trips to the Cayman Islands in favor of spending his summer QBing an excellent Spanish National Team. His pride and commitment to his native team is exemplary and unwavered, even when Ricky Rubio became more featured in the offence.

Okay, okay – this prequel is starting to shape up. If only there was one more thing to get excited about…

Well, there is!

The stigma attached to European basketball players is that they are soft – pure shooters who shy away from contact and refuse to take the ball into the painted area.
    Calderon obviously didn’t get the memo – for the past few years he seemed to be one of the few Raps who consistently took the ball to the rim (okay I could do without his trademark slow dribble and look back at the defender before he lays the ball in the rim)
    But it’s part of his swagger and you get the point.

Bottom line: this guy invests more time on prequels than George Lucas and I’m happy to see Calderon still has a role in this years feature film.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, a gimp with a clap defense, is our number one need? Sure, its great to have him back, but how is this team going to improve its league worse defense? P.J. Carlesimo won't be the answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information