Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Say What?

I doubt that the bench unit with Barbosa and Calderon could bring more energy than Johnson, Davis, Weems, DeRozan and Jack even these five were tired out.
    everyone gets tired at some point.. and they're all pretty unproven in starter roles.. so spots of lazy play are probably going to happen

having your fastest player, and your best passer coming off the bench is a pretty good contingency plan

Comment

This article echoes my sentiments exactly, even Amir/Davis playing C unless they have to guard someone bigger like D12 or Bynum.

The reason we could afford to trade one of the PGs isn't because they didn't work out backing each other up, but because we needed to have Hedo handle the ball. With no Hedo, we need both Calderon and Jack to run things. And unless we get a better starter on any position in return, I wouldn't want to trade Calderon. And to have better defensive capabilities than Jose, and come close to his playmaking abilities and offensive efficiency, that guy coming back will have to be borderline all-star, if not all-star.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Let's try an experiment. You run down the court and I'll throw a basket-ball, and we'll see who gets to the other baseline the fastest. If you running a fast break you need your receivers to run fast. All the pg has to do is pass the ball. It sounds easy but making a long pass is harder than just hucking it down the court. fortunately jose is an above average passer. He doesn't need to beat his man or anyone else's man down the court. He just needs his wings to do that and pass ball. He's penchant for too many dribbles is a bigger problem than his quickness.
        It seems to me to depend on who you are talking about

If it is Kevin Love then making that long pass is easier

If it is Amir then running down the court is easier

P.S. I don't know that the term "hucking" works in your sentence

To huck is to throw oneself widely up in the air and/or off something.

see link

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hucking
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          Let's try an experiment. You run down the court and I'll throw a basket-ball, and we'll see who gets to the other baseline the fastest. If you running a fast break you need your receivers to run fast. All the pg has to do is pass the ball. It sounds easy but making a long pass is harder than just hucking it down the court. fortunately jose is an above average passer. He doesn't need to beat his man or anyone else's man down the court. He just needs his wings to do that and pass ball. He's penchant for too many dribbles is a bigger problem than his quickness.
          would you agree long passes have a much higher rate of being intercepted ?

teams have scouting reports. and sooner than later, coaches will tell their players to look out for that long half court pass and we will be turning it over more.

Comment

Pizzaman wrote: View Post
            tbihis don't worry it will not take long; they probably have not woken up as yet. You definitely nailed the sam guys that find and blame every flaw on B.C or Bargnani while praising Sir Douchebag himself the almighty RuPaul.
            hahaha +1

Comment

Calderon/Jack is going to be one of the strongest pg combos in the league hands down. They obviously don't hold a torch to the elite pg's in the L, but they are definately not on the lower echelon either. I think for BC to trade either of them would be completely idiotic, because they each run different styles of offence. This will be great in assessing what type of pg we will need for the future, and what style of pg fits in best with the Raps young guys: Derozan, Weems, Bargs, Amir, Davis, Dorsey, etc..

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                Calderon/Jack is going to be one of the strongest pg combos in the league hands down. They obviously don't hold a torch to the elite pg's in the L, but they are definately not on the lower echelon either. I think for BC to trade either of them would be completely idiotic, because they each run different styles of offence. This will be great in assessing what type of pg we will need for the future, and what style of pg fits in best with the Raps young guys: Derozan, Weems, Bargs, Amir, Davis, Dorsey, etc..
                Good call. Now that we finally have some sense of a young core group of players, we should give Calderon and Jack at least one more fair chance to work with them using their contrasting styles; whichever style proves more effective can serve as the benchmark when determining what to look for in terms of prospective PGs. I still think a healthy Calderon will end up being the better option to maximize the potential of a core like the Young'unz.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                  only problem with the 2 headed pg monster is it really stunts the development of both of them and it's hard to develop chemistry when every game you're JJ or jose and you're not sure how many minutes you're gona get or after every missed shot, do you have to look at the bench to see if you're getting pulled or not...

plus what might work in the regular season, WONT WORK in the playoffs as the opposing teams will have their starting pg on the court for 40 mins like in the 2007 playoffs when J kidd lit up both jose and tj with i think 15 assists per game over the course of the series.

also, while it would be great to have two pg's to evaluate what works better for the young gunz, that "evaluation" is costing the team $30 million and in a salary cap world, having over one sixth of your cap flexibility spent on that is a waste.

so anyone who says they would like for calderon to get traded isnt necessarily saying they dont like his game, what they are really saying is his contract is hurting the team in the long run.

Comment

Chisolm makes some great points. It is rather ironic that the one player the organization has been desperately trying to trade all summer is the one player the raps actually need for the 10/11 season. Blessing in disguise that Jose got hurt and destroyed what was left of his trade value. This team as currently constructed doesn't have a single play maker other than Jose. Jack is an undersized combo guard who is infinitely better at creating nothing into opportunities where as Jose excels in a more structured offense although he showed he can adapt to the personnel around him.

I have been on the trade Jose bandwagon for almost two years, but now it has come full circle and he might be the teams most integral player. The starting unit might be able to survive offensively, but the 2nd unit needs his calming influence and a Jose, Barbosa, Weems, Wright and Davis unit might prove to be one of the most dangerous in the league.

Comment

vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                      only problem with the 2 headed pg monster is it really stunts the development of both of them and it's hard to develop chemistry when every game you're JJ or jose and you're not sure how many minutes you're gona get or after every missed shot, do you have to look at the bench to see if you're getting pulled or not...

plus what might work in the regular season, WONT WORK in the playoffs as the opposing teams will have their starting pg on the court for 40 mins like in the 2007 playoffs when J kidd lit up both jose and tj with i think 15 assists per game over the course of the series.

also, while it would be great to have two pg's to evaluate what works better for the young gunz, that "evaluation" is costing the team $30 million and in a salary cap world, having over one sixth of your cap flexibility spent on that is a waste.

so anyone who says they would like for calderon to get traded isnt necessarily saying they dont like his game, what they are really saying is his contract is hurting the team in the long run.
                      hard to admit but i agree with vinnie on some of his points. but i have to disagree on the 1st one. JJ and jose are way past the development stages in their careers. both are already considered as veterans (5 or more years in the league). but i agree, you cant have 2 good PGs equally sharing the load. its good on paper, but realistically, you cant have two good PGs playing 24 mins each. you have to have one really good PG, and a good enough one to back him up. and almost 10mil a year for a backup PG is not worth it. calderon can probably be a starter, just not for the Raps right now.

Comment

@ tbihis

yea i meant its hard to develop chemistry not individual game...

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                          hard to admit but i agree with vinnie on some of his points. but i have to disagree on the 1st one. JJ and jose are way past the development stages in their careers. both are already considered as veterans (5 or more years in the league). but i agree, you cant have 2 good PGs equally sharing the load. its good on paper, but realistically, you cant have two good PGs playing 24 mins each. you have to have one really good PG, and a good enough one to back him up. and almost 10mil a year for a backup PG is not worth it. calderon can probably be a starter, just not for the Raps right now.
                          Well said. Very good points by both of you and they are not developing. JJ is a hustle guy who works his tail off plays a little defense , but has nowhere near the skillset of Jose. Jose is still the Raptors best point guard until something else happens, and brings a hugely better offensive game than JJ which includes playmaking, scoring and court vision.
                          The other thing I don't agree with is all the Young Gz hype. Weems was a great steal but has proven nothing yet, DD is a fine young developing talent but rarely looks for anything other than his own shot and needs to get into the game more by moving without the ball and passing to better options when they're there, and I love Amir but a little early for all the hype.

Comment

Blog. Blog. Blog. If the NBA season is the main attraction, than the offseason is the Prequel.

Unfortunately most prequels aren't very good - they get lost in the hoopla and play second fiddle to what follows.

Jose Calderon, on the other hand, seems to appreciate the way prequels develop the story.

Evidence?

In Calderon's first NBA season, the young point guard couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

So what did he do?

He spent the summer working on his jump shot and by the time the main attraction rolled around, Calderon had developed a nearly automatic mid range jumper (which seems to be a lost art in the NBA).

Well, what else does this young man do? Certainly a jump shot isn't enough to base a prequel on (know matter how lack luster prequels tend to be).

Calderon forgoes trips to the Cayman Islands in favor of spending his summer QBing an excellent Spanish National Team. His pride and commitment to his native team is exemplary and unwavered, even when Ricky Rubio became more featured in the offence.

Okay, okay – this prequel is starting to shape up. If only there was one more thing to get excited about…

Well, there is!

The stigma attached to European basketball players is that they are soft – pure shooters who shy away from contact and refuse to take the ball into the painted area.
                            Calderon obviously didn’t get the memo – for the past few years he seemed to be one of the few Raps who consistently took the ball to the rim (okay I could do without his trademark slow dribble and look back at the defender before he lays the ball in the rim)
                            But it’s part of his swagger and you get the point.

Bottom line: this guy invests more time on prequels than George Lucas and I’m happy to see Calderon still has a role in this years feature film.

Comment

Honestly, a gimp with a clap defense, is our number one need? Sure, its great to have him back, but how is this team going to improve its league worse defense? P.J. Carlesimo won't be the answer.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                Honestly, a gimp with a clap defense, is our number one need?
                                The Clap can be very efficient in stopping penetration....
                                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                                X