Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The Raptors Finally Be Better Than The Cavs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The Raptors Finally Be Better Than The Cavs?

NBA / Aug 24, 2010 / 12:00 pm
    Who’s Worse: Toronto Raptors or Cleveland Cavaliers?

By Austin Burton

One of the more feeble darts thrown from Cleveland Cavaliers fans to LeBron James this summer is something along the lines of, “We made you.”

Right. Except now that LeBron is gone, the team that won 60-plus games in each of the past two seasons, that went to the ‘07 NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history, that during the LeBron era put together its first five-year string of consecutive postseason appearances since its ‘92-96 run, went from a legit title contender to arguably the worst team in the League the moment LeBron said he was moving to Miami. So who made who again?

Or maybe the Cavs won’t be the worst. The Toronto Raptors were also decimated by one player’s decision to join the powerhouse in Miami, as Chris Bosh’s departure turned the Raptors — already a Lottery team in 2010 — into a certain cellar-dweller for next season.

So out of Cleveland and Toronto, which team is better as they approach respective rebuilding phases? Or more appropriately, which team is worse?

So who will be worse this season? While the Cavs have more experience and battle-tested vets, the Raptors have a more youthful We-don’t-know-any-better mentality and fresh legs. And although the Cavs have farther to fall from their perch as the top seed in the East, the Raptors have at least some experience playing without Bosh due to his more common injuries. The Raps have shown to be OK sometimes without Bosh; when the Cavs didn’t have LeBron, they were always bad. Toronto added some decent talent this summer to compensate for losing their superstar; Cleveland’s top addition was Ramon Sessions. I also get the feeling that this is a throwaway season in Cleveland, and they’re mainly hoping to land another superstar in the 2011 Lottery.

So I’d go with Cleveland as the worse of the two for now. Fire up League Pass…
    comp article on Link

http://dimemag.com/2010/08/whos-wors...and-cavaliers/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Is this a joke?

I'll take the raptors roster player's 1 through infinity over the Cav's mess of a team. Hickson is the only verifiable talent on the squad that isn't washed up or fallen off the coattails that was Lebron's star creating bandwagon. I actually like Sideshow a fair bit too, but they have ex raptors at the wings that BC let go two years ago and thier point guard is either the guy who cost the Cav's the title or a journeyman pg who Kahn didn't even want.

The Cav's lost thier best leader, clubhouse guy, scorer, rebounder, passer, creater, one on defender, help defender, crunch time scorer, double team threat and workhorse that could play any position in a pinch. Oh and they plan on giving his minutes to Jamario Moon and Joey Graham.

The raptors lost thier most efficient scorer, rebounder and double team threat and replaced him with two player's that are younger, hungrier, cheaper and committed to doing all the little things that either never interested Bosh or didn't occur to him. Maybe not next season, but for every season after I'd much rather have to worry about how to fairly distribute Johnson/Davis minutes than worry about Bosh shattering into a 100 million pieces every time he lands awkwardly or starts crip walking at a club in South Beach.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
      Is this a joke?

I'll take the raptors roster player's 1 through infinity over the Cav's mess of a team.
      Hickson is the only verifiable talent on the squad that isn't washed up or fallen off the coattails that was Lebron's star creating bandwagon. I actually like Sideshow a fair bit too, but they have ex raptors at the wings that BC let go two years ago and thier point guard is either the guy who cost the Cav's the title or a journeyman pg who Kahn didn't even want.

The Cav's lost thier best leader, clubhouse guy, scorer, rebounder, passer, creater, one on defender, help defender, crunch time scorer, double team threat and workhorse that could play any position in a pinch. Oh and they plan on giving his minutes to Jamario Moon and Joey Graham.

The raptors lost thier most efficient scorer, rebounder and double team threat and replaced him with two player's that are younger, hungrier, cheaper and committed to doing all the little things that either never interested Bosh or didn't occur to him. Maybe not next season, but for every season after I'd much rather have to worry about how to fairly distribute Johnson/Davis minutes than worry about Bosh shattering into a 100 million pieces every time he lands awkwardly or starts crip walking at a club in South Beach.

I am a bit confused by your response.

Didn't his last sentence say that the Cavs would be worse than the Raptors?
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Half of the Cavaliers roster are Raptor's throwaways.

I don't think their is much else to be said

Comment

I think the Cavs will be good for about the first half of the season probably less, as they will be playing with a chip on their shoulders due to the fact that nobody respects them. But after the dust settles, they will flat out suck.

Comment

I juss think the dude had issues looking past the fact that these were the cavs a team that made the playoffs for a while and had a decent shot at winning at all. But the porlbem with the article is that the dude thinks the raptors club is only a lil bttr, i really doubt that in bout short and long term situation. They have an Old Jamison, and Moe a pointguard who had zero chance of bein an allstar if he hadnt been on the Cavs team. After those dues, beside JJ Hickson and Varejeo and possibly Sessions they're dead in the water. Atleast with the raptors, its they're in a more flexible position, every free agent out there would prefer Toronto over Cleveland, and that there is atleast possible hope that they wont suck that hard -_-....

Comment

Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
              I juss think the dude had issues looking past the fact that these were the cavs a team that made the playoffs for a while and had a decent shot at winning at all. But the porlbem with the article is that the dude thinks the raptors club is only a lil bttr, i really doubt that in bout short and long term situation. They have an Old Jamison, and Moe a pointguard who had zero chance of bein an allstar if he hadnt been on the Cavs team. After those dues, beside JJ Hickson and Varejeo and possibly Sessions they're dead in the water. Atleast with the raptors, its they're in a more flexible position, every free agent out there would prefer Toronto over Cleveland, and that there is atleast possible hope that they wont suck that hard -_-....
              I don't know about that.
              I'd hope so, but I wouldn't put money on it

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                I am a bit confused by your response.

Didn't his last sentence say that the Cavs would be worse than the Raptors?
                Yeah I know, but the fact that there is even a conversation about the two teams upset me furiously. I think the Cav`s will struggle to win every game and have a decent shot at becoming the worst team in NBA history if JJ or Sideshow get hurt. Having said that I think they have a punchers chance at the Dec 2 game since the Heat will be on a back to back, probably still undefeated and could fall victim to the last great gasp from a Cleveland crowd.`

I actually think the raptors overacheived last year with 40 wins and this year will have a much improved roster, chemistry and hopefully leadership.

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
                  I don't know about that.
                  I'd hope so, but I wouldn't put money on it
                  Well the way i would look at it, as a city cleveland isnt as interesting as toronto, and in terms of a future look to be pretty bleak at the moment, with the only hope being that the draft serves them well, otherwise their roster is pretty bad short term wise. Only reason free agents considered Cleveland was Lebron and he gone. Plus Cleveland had a horrible time finding free agents this summer, and at the very least toronto has European agents interest.

Comment

Personally I would prefer to be worse. At least we would get high picks But it's unimportant who is better, it's like asking who's ubetter Timberwolves or Nets? Pointless question. If we are better than them, what does it give us? How does it help us? We will win a couple of games more?

Comment

Its like asking who is the tallest midget.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        Personally I would prefer to be worse. At least we would get high picks But it's unimportant who is better, it's like asking who's ubetter Timberwolves or Nets? Pointless question. If we are better than them, what does it give us? How does it help us? We will win a couple of games more?
                        nah.... the worst team rarely even gets the top pick

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
                          nah.... the worst team rarely even gets the top pick
                          I didn't say top pick, and no way we're the worse team. I think we can make 30-35 wins this year.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                            I didn't say top pick, and no way we're the worse team. I think we can make 30-35 wins this year.
                            fair enough

Comment

Working...
                            X