Assisting Avery: Mitchell Leads The Youth Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assisting Avery: Mitchell Leads The Youth Movement

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.—Sam Mitchell knows it might seem odd, joining the staff of a coach he was competing for jobs this summer. But the groundwork for his current position as Nets lead assistant was laid last season, when Avery Johnson contacted him, cognizant that both might be in position to return to the sidelines. They discussed the possibility of working together in the event one was hired and the other wasn't. The Nets plucked Johnson in June, and Mitchell soon followed.

The two coaches have known each other for years – Johnson's NBA playing career (1988-2004) encompasses Mitchell's (1989-2002) and they were head coaches of the Mavericks (Johnson) and Raptors (Mitchell) from 2004-08. Mitchell says he respected the preparation and competitiveness of Johnson's teams, while Johnson praises Mitchell's ability to develop young players and teams.

"In my head assistant, I was definitely looking for a guy who was a former head coach," Johnson explains. "Didn’t necessarily have to be a former NBA player, but he had to have been a guy who had been in the hot chair before, a guy who could communicate with players. I was also looking for a guy who had coached young teams before, and Sam has had some success in the past with Toronto when (2003 No. 4 overall pick Chris Bosh came in, when (2006 No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani came in. And a guy that I could feel really good about taking his suggestions and recommendation because he’d sat in my seat before. Sam has a tremendous amount of experience – the 12-year playing career didn’t hurt at all. And he’s played and been an assistant coach under some great head coaches."
    cont here
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.
Working...
X