Thread: The Linas Kleiza 2010 FIBA World Tournament Experience

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Linas Kleiza 2010 FIBA World Tournament Experience

Kleiza's 27 points lead Lithuania over New Zealand 92-79 at basketball worlds

By The Associated Press (CP) – 1 hour ago

IZMIR, Turkey — Linas Kleiza scored 27 points and Paulius Jankunas added 15 as Lithuania beat New Zealand 92-79 in the opening round of the world championships on Saturday.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...bw0n0OO70t3R6w
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

He will be our starting SF.

Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yah im startin to get a lil excited on Kleiza, everytime i see any scouting reports on the Lithuania team, they always warn of him and such. Then again considering the rest of the roster, he's seems to be only guy to be a lil feared of -_-... anyone else on the Lithuania team worth mentioning?

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPT0RS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote zapffe wrote: View Post
    He will be our starting SF.
    He might not be, it might be better if Weems start to build chemistry.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPS4LIFE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On another note, new Raptor David Anderson of Australia, had an impressive showing against Jordan earlier and they just barely won 76-75. He iced the game with his 2 late FTs...

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/eng...8/article.html

Anderson's line:

22 pts, 9 rebs, 4 ast (2/3 from 3PT, 6/7 from FT)

Post Thanks / Like

We shall see when training camp begins. Sonny is undersized for a SF position, unless they decide to move Demar to SF and Sonny to SG. I'm leaning towards Linas starting at this point.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza is definitely going to start. He is a beast. He is ALOT better than Weems. Starting Weems over Kleiza is just stupid. Kleiza is a proven player, played quite a handful of games at Denver, and played well from what I've seen (maybe 10 games). And I watched many of his games in Europe, and he's a champion and averages nearly 20 a game last year. So yes he's starting, over a guy that is unproven, and all he can do is bring energy and score alley-oops? Kleiza can rebound, shoot and space the floor and can actually play some D.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jk1m wrote: View Post
    We shall see when training camp begins. Sonny is undersized for a SF position, unless they decide to move Demar to SF and Sonny to SG. I'm leaning towards Linas starting at this point.
    I think Demar is still too weak for SF position, especially in defense.

What I like about the team is no spot is reserved (except Bargnani's) and they'll have to earn it during the camp.
    Last edited by zapffe; Sat Aug 28th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie Fon Riego's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
    Yah im startin to get a lil excited on Kleiza, everytime i see any scouting reports on the Lithuania team, they always warn of him and such. Then again considering the rest of the roster, he's seems to be only guy to be a lil feared of -_-... anyone else on the Lithuania team worth mentioning?
    Almost nobody in this year's team...Lithuania (as Italy) had better teams in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note: he's played as PF, where he made so great last season with Olympiakos. Last year, in the Eurobasket Championship, he played as SF, and were horrible.

I mean, in FIBA games he's best suited as PF and his game changes a lot, so I think we must see his performance in this Championship with caution

Post Thanks / Like
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPS4LIFE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh highlights from the Lithuania-New Zealand game earlier (Kleiza has a few of them)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9NjcZO_tI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPS4LIFE wrote: View Post
    Fresh highlights from the Lithuania-New Zealand game earlier (Kleiza has a few of them)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9NjcZO_tI

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing that I have been impressed with in watching the highlights of this game and his game against team USA is that Kleiza is really aggressive at taking it to the basket.

It is just too bad he doesn't have better handles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    The one thing that I have been impressed with in watching the highlights of this game and his game against team USA is that Kleiza is really aggressive at taking it to the basket.

It is just too bad he doesn't have better handles.
    And better shoot selection... (despite today's game)

Post Thanks / Like

BLOCKED: Tall Blacks point guard Lindsay Tait drives baseline and eventually had his shot blocked by Lithuania's Linas Kleiza during the opening game at the FIBA World Championship.

Tall Blacks fall in World Championship opener

By SCOTT PRESTON in Izmir - Stuff
    Last updated 06:39 29/08/2010

Frustration and anger for Tall Blacks after loss France shock Spain as US crush Croatia Boomers beat Jordan in Turkey Struggle awaits patchy NZ team Tall Blacks zone in on defence ahead of world champs NBA suspends three players a total of eight games Pero Cameron still in the running Five must-see games Four new faces in Tall Ferns Serbia's Nenad Krstic banned three games after brawl

There was no first-game upset for the New Zealand Tall Blacks as they fell 92-79 to Lithuania in their FIBA World Championship opener in Izmir.

Despite a game-high 37 points from shooting guard Kirk Penney, New Zealand fell victim to Lithuania's high screen-and-roll and inside presence as forward Linas Kleiza went for 27 points and eight rebounds.

Kleiza, now with the Toronto Raptors, torched the Tall Blacks with 11-of-15 shooting from the field, including 3-of-5 on three-point attempts, and was assisted by 15 points from big man Paulius Jankunas and 14 points from Jonas Maciulis.

A second quarter disaster, where the Tall Blacks were out-scored 25-10 and allowed Lithuania easy basket after easy basket, ultimately cost them the game. Although they made small runs in the third and fourth quarters, New Zealand could not find the big momentum-changing basket to seriously threaten down the stretch.

"We came out and didn't execute defensively and that set the tone for us," forward Tom Abercrombie said. "Giving up 92 points or whatever it was isn't going to win you many games.
    Tall Blacks Fall

Thread Information