Blast From The Past Back in the NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast From The Past Back in the NBA

Anyone remember Jonathan Bender? I bet most Raptors fans do.

Anyhow, Knicks are apparently signing Bender as a free agent. Too little, too late?

New York Knicks President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent forward Jonathan Bender has been signed to a contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. “Jonathan has worked extremely hard in preparing himself for a return to the NBA,” said Walsh. “I know him to be a young man of the highest character from my relationship with him that dates back 10 years to his rookie year and I think he will be a fine addition to our team both on and off the court.”

The Picayune, MS-native was selected out of high school by the Toronto Raptors with the fifth overall selection in the 1999 NBA Draft and was acquired by the Pacers on Aug. 1, 1999 in exchange for Antonio Davis.
    Source - Click here

Bender hasn't been out of the league too long. Good to see him back. I hope his body holds up.

Comment

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
        That is just awesome.
        http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

Bender impressing Knicks

David Lee was impressed with the shape the newest Knick, Jonathan Bender, is in after not playing an NBA game in four years.

“He’s doing great,” Lee said after practice today. “I told him today that he’s in a lot better shape than I would be if I took a couple years off ... I’d be 400 pounds.

“He looks like he’s in great shape, looks like he’s moving well out there, and he’s just got to find his rhythm.”

Bender did look pretty good on the court this afternoon in his second practice with the Knicks, moving well around the court and hitting some jumpers. Shooting has always been Bender’s strength, and the 7-footer has the size and athleticism to potentially do well in Mike D’Antoni’s offensive system, in which the coach said Bender would be a wing.

“He can guard a lot of people,” D’Antoni said. “He’s one of those guys that fits well with what we’re trying to do ... hits three’s, runs the floor, and has a lot of talent, so we’re excited about the possibilities.”

As D’Antoni watched the 7-footer hit several jump shots during an individual drill at the end of practice, he wouldn’t rule out the possibility that Bender could dress for tomorrow’s game.

“I don’t know ... we’ll see,” D’Antoni said. “He could (dress), because I wouldn’t mind, not knowing how the game is going to go, to get him time as soon as I can, in maybe a non-stressful time.”
          http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicks...H3z0Lzhv60kAVO

Comment

Working...
          X