Thread: World Basketball Championship 2010

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default World Basketball Championship 2010

A place to follow the Raps through this year's tournament.

Day 1

Australia (76) vs. Jordan (75)
    Boxscore
    Anderson = 22pts (7/10), 9 boards, 4 assists
    and finally two free throws by David Andersen with 13 seconds gave them the win.
    Brazil (81) vs. Iran (65)
    Boxscore
    Barbosa = 13pts (5/10), 2 assists
    Postgame Interview

Lithuania (92) vs. (79)
    Boxscore
    Kleiza = 27pts (11/15), 8 boards
    A stunning 13-2 run to start the second quarter and back-breaking shooting at key moments from Linas Kleiza has secured a hard fought 92-79 win for Lithuania over New Zealand in the opening game of Group D in Izmir.
    Kleiza was masterful with 27 points and 8 rebounds for Lithuania, while Paulius Jankunas (15 points) and veteran Jonas Maciulis (14 points) were also prominent.
    Side Note:
    Turkoglu (Turkish Jordan) = 6pts (0/6), 7 boards, 7 assists

Whose play on day 1 impressed you the most?

Raptors Republic Rookie Fon Riego's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BC Boy wrote: View Post
    Whose play on day 1 impressed you the most?
    Since I only saw France-Spain and I thought Gelabale was finished as a player, he seems o be healthy and impressed me today.

Nice thread

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Apparantly Kleiza has Canada a bit concerned.
    Link

This might not be the best way for Linas Kleiza to endear himself to fans of his new NBA team, the Toronto Raptors.

A day after scorching New Zealand for 27 points to open the world basketball championship, the Lithuanian forward now sets his sights on Canada on Sunday.

And Canada’s a little worried.

“He’s not going to just go nail you in the post,” Canadian coach Leo Rautins said of the 6-8 forward. “He kind of goes inside, outside, he comes off screens, he’s just not taking you straight down into the post.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Apparantly Kleiza has Canada a bit concerned.
    Link
    After today's game against Lebanon, I'd be scared too

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the article is about Turk. However, Barbosa gets a shout out and I agree with the comment below regarding Barbosa.

Hedo Turkoglu, Goran Dragic ready for World Championship
    Posted by Michael Schwartz on August 28th, 2:01 am

Slovenia will take on Tunisia Saturday at 6:30 a.m. MST, Team USA at 6:30 Sunday on ESPN2 (set your TIVO for that one), Croatia Monday at 6:30, Brazil Wednesday at 11:30 on NBA TV and Iran Thursday at 9.

All of the games can be watched live on ESPN3.com, but the two games on real television should not be missed. It will be an incredible challenge for Goran Dragic to face off against the platoon of guards Team USA will be able to throw at him (and could this be his chance for revenge on Derrick Rose). Against Brazil he may be matched up against his former bench backcourt mate Leandro Barbosa, a spectacular matchup for Suns/Raptors fans to watch.
    http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/08/2...-championship/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

In today's National Post

Around the worlds: A guide to the FIBA championship

The world of Raptors
    There are plenty of Toronto connections in the tournament, hardly surprising with Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo’s infatuation with the international game. Leandro Barbosa (Brazil), David Andersen (Australia) and Linas Kleiza (Lithuania) all could have big roles with their teams, but Jose Calderon (Spain) will miss the tournament after suffering a torn hamstring. The most likely Raptor to return home with a medal? Coach Jay Triano, who is serving on the staff of U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Former Raptors playing in the tournament include Argentine Carlos Delfino, Croatian Roko Ukic and Turkey’s Hedo Turkoglu.
    A Guide

Question:

Of all the NBA teams do the Raptors have the most personnel participating when you include former players?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm casually following this tournament, but man, I did not expect Canada to lose to Lebanon. I'm not sure how they'll fare against Spain and France, but both those teams are known to be good. I can see us going 1-4 in qualifying with the only win coming against New Zealand.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Day 2

Lithuania (70) vs. Canada (68)
    Boxscore
    Kleiza = 18 pts (6/15), 10 boards
    Linas Kleiza (18 points, 10 rebounds) and Martynas Pocius were also strong contributors.
    Brazil (80) vs. Tunisia (65)
    Boxscore
    Barbosa = 21 pts (8/11), 6 boards, 4 steals
    Leandro Barbosa erupted for 16 first-quarter points to give Brazil the platform they needed for victory against Tunisia.
    The Brazilians, who led 26-16 at the end of the first period, ended up claiming an 80-65 victory in the Abdi Ipekci.
    Barbosa's scoring burst came with jumpers, but also easy lay-ups and dunks after the South Americans forced a series of turnovers late in the opening frame.
    Barbosa finished with 21 points and will now look to make a big difference on Monday when his team takes on the USA.
    Argentina (74) vs. Australia (72)
    Boxscore
    Anderson = 7 pts (3/8), 8 boards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I'm casually following this tournament, but man, I did not expect Canada to lose to Lebanon. I'm not sure how they'll fare against Spain and France, but both those teams are known to be good. I can see us going 1-4 in qualifying with the only win coming against New Zealand.
    I'd worried about the game against the kiwis too...they know how to score: their PG is a scoring machine and have one man who can have the best jump in all the championship: Abercrombie, is awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Brazil vs USA

Triano checking out Barbosa up close and thinking of the best way to utilize his skills for the Raptors in 10-11

Post Thanks / Like

Barbosa misses the game tier at the buzzer to finish off for him an absolutely horrible second half and shooting performance.

I sure hope he plays a lot better for the Raptors than he did today.

He ran the point for while and was absolutely terrible. All he did was dribble the ball up the court and pass it to a teammate standing 25 feet from the basket.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Barbosa misses the game tier at the buzzer to finish off for him an absolutely horrible second half and shooting performance.

I sure hope he plays a lot better for the Raptors than he did today.

He ran the point for while and was absolutely terrible. All he did was dribble the ball up the court and pass it to a teammate standing 25 feet from the basket.
    That's why Barbosa is a shooting guard & not a point guard.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

my thoughts exactly. I hope that Triano took note, barbosa cannot play point for more than a couple of minutes and only in particular situations/matchups. He definately lack the skills, vision and mentality to ran the point.
    He reminded me of Marco in similar situations, dribbling the ball too much and then rushing a shot or a pass...well actually he reminded me of almost every pure 2 trying to play 1

Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Might as well link back to my thread after all's said and done.

Let me know who you thought had the most success

Raptors in the FIBA Tourney

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

DAY 3

USA (70) vs. Brazil (68)
    Boxscore above
    Barbosa = 14 (5/18), 4 boards, 4 dimes, 4 steals
    The United States got their first real test of the FIBA World Championship on Monday night and edged Brazil 70-68 as Leandro Barbosa’s potential game-tying lay-up at the buzzer stayed out.
    "Leandro Barbosa is one of the best international players in the world and Machado was one of their best shooters.
    Australia (78) vs Germany (43)
    Boxscore
    Anderson = 8 pts (3/10), 8 boards, 2 blocks

Post Thanks / Like

DAY 3

USA (70) vs. Brazil (68)
    Boxscore above
    Barbosa = 14 (5/18), 4 boards, 4 dimes, 4 steals

Australia (78) vs Germany (43)
    Boxscore
    Anderson = 8 pts (3/10), 8 boards, 2 blocks
    Today/Tonight he looked awful and I mean awful

His shooting was terrible
    He ran the offense terrible
    His ball handling was sloppy
    He looked like he was moving at about 3/4 as fast as he used to

Now I will grant he has logged a lot of minutes the last few days a lot more than he will log for the Raptors
    So if his legs were weary which they could have been by the second half then that will affect his jump shooting and speed.

However it should have no affect on him looking terrible trying to play at point guard.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Today/Tonight he looked awful and I mean awful

His shooting was terrible
    He ran the offense terrible
    His ball handling was sloppy
    He looked like he was moving at about 3/4 as fast as he used to

Now I will grant he has logged a lot of minutes the last few days a lot more than he will log for the Raptors
    So if his legs were weary which they could have been by the second half then that will affect his jump shooting and speed.

However it should have no affect on him looking terrible trying to play at point guard.
    Didn't see the game, but his shooting percentage was bad and isn't everybody in the same position, in terms of playing a lot of games? Hope it was just a bad game, and I don't see him running point for Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see the game, but his shooting percentage was bad and isn't everybody in the same position, in terms of playing a lot of games? Hope it was just a bad game, and I don't see him running point for Raptors.
    He was 3 - 13 on three balls. The two teams combined were 16 - 45 on threes. So the rest of the guys were 13 - 32 which is just over 40%.

The problem was not that his shots were so much long or short, but a number of them were not on line but off to the side. When your jump shots especially the open ones and/or free throws are off line it usually means that there is a mechanics problem with your shooting.

His minute totals are

36 yesterday
    ----
    84 Total in 3 calendar days.

That is a heck of a lot of minutes to log in three days.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/esp.../schedule.html

If he was physically tired it could also have messed up his mechanics. It could also be the reason that he took more three ball shots yesterday rather than getting into the paint like it appears he did a lot more of the first two games.

http://turkey2010.fiba.com/pages/esp...0/profile.html

Raptors Republic Rookie ShinobiOne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How does Canada take France to the wire but get beat (by what seemed as handily) by the Lebanese? I didnt watch the Lebanon game but saw todays France game.
    Their posessions down the wire were downright awful...turnover after turnover! poor shot selection...missing vital free throws. Canada's hopes for this tourny are done and I hope things turnaround soon for Bball Canada's future. I guess it was a feat that they even qualified!

Thread Information