World Basketball Championship 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Basketball Championship 2010

A place to follow the Raps through this year's tournament.

Day 1

Australia (76) vs. Jordan (75)
    Boxscore
    Anderson = 22pts (7/10), 9 boards, 4 assists
    and finally two free throws by David Andersen with 13 seconds gave them the win.
    Brazil (81) vs. Iran (65)
    Boxscore
    Barbosa = 13pts (5/10), 2 assists
    Postgame Interview

Lithuania (92) vs. (79)
    Boxscore
    Kleiza = 27pts (11/15), 8 boards
    A stunning 13-2 run to start the second quarter and back-breaking shooting at key moments from Linas Kleiza has secured a hard fought 92-79 win for Lithuania over New Zealand in the opening game of Group D in Izmir.
    Kleiza was masterful with 27 points and 8 rebounds for Lithuania, while Paulius Jankunas (15 points) and veteran Jonas Maciulis (14 points) were also prominent.
    Side Note:
    Turkoglu (Turkish Jordan) = 6pts (0/6), 7 boards, 7 assists

Whose play on day 1 impressed you the most?

BC Boy wrote: View Post
    Whose play on day 1 impressed you the most?
    Since I only saw France-Spain and I thought Gelabale was finished as a player, he seems o be healthy and impressed me today.

Nice thread

Comment

Thanks.

Apparantly Kleiza has Canada a bit concerned.
      Link

This might not be the best way for Linas Kleiza to endear himself to fans of his new NBA team, the Toronto Raptors.

A day after scorching New Zealand for 27 points to open the world basketball championship, the Lithuanian forward now sets his sights on Canada on Sunday.

And Canada’s a little worried.

“He’s not going to just go nail you in the post,” Canadian coach Leo Rautins said of the 6-8 forward. “He kind of goes inside, outside, he comes off screens, he’s just not taking you straight down into the post.

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
        Thanks.

Apparantly Kleiza has Canada a bit concerned.
        Link
        After today's game against Lebanon, I'd be scared too

Comment

Most of the article is about Turk. However, Barbosa gets a shout out and I agree with the comment below regarding Barbosa.

Hedo Turkoglu, Goran Dragic ready for World Championship
          Posted by Michael Schwartz on August 28th, 2:01 am

Slovenia will take on Tunisia Saturday at 6:30 a.m. MST, Team USA at 6:30 Sunday on ESPN2 (set your TIVO for that one), Croatia Monday at 6:30, Brazil Wednesday at 11:30 on NBA TV and Iran Thursday at 9.

All of the games can be watched live on ESPN3.com, but the two games on real television should not be missed. It will be an incredible challenge for Goran Dragic to face off against the platoon of guards Team USA will be able to throw at him (and could this be his chance for revenge on Derrick Rose). Against Brazil he may be matched up against his former bench backcourt mate Leandro Barbosa, a spectacular matchup for Suns/Raptors fans to watch.
          http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/08/2...-championship/
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

In today's National Post

Around the worlds: A guide to the FIBA championship

The world of Raptors
            There are plenty of Toronto connections in the tournament, hardly surprising with Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo’s infatuation with the international game. Leandro Barbosa (Brazil), David Andersen (Australia) and Linas Kleiza (Lithuania) all could have big roles with their teams, but Jose Calderon (Spain) will miss the tournament after suffering a torn hamstring. The most likely Raptor to return home with a medal? Coach Jay Triano, who is serving on the staff of U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Former Raptors playing in the tournament include Argentine Carlos Delfino, Croatian Roko Ukic and Turkey’s Hedo Turkoglu.
            A Guide

Question:

Of all the NBA teams do the Raptors have the most personnel participating when you include former players?
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I'm casually following this tournament, but man, I did not expect Canada to lose to Lebanon. I'm not sure how they'll fare against Spain and France, but both those teams are known to be good. I can see us going 1-4 in qualifying with the only win coming against New Zealand.

Comment

Day 2

Lithuania (70) vs. Canada (68)
                Boxscore
                Kleiza = 18 pts (6/15), 10 boards
                Linas Kleiza (18 points, 10 rebounds) and Martynas Pocius were also strong contributors.
                Brazil (80) vs. Tunisia (65)
                Boxscore
                Barbosa = 21 pts (8/11), 6 boards, 4 steals
                Leandro Barbosa erupted for 16 first-quarter points to give Brazil the platform they needed for victory against Tunisia.
                The Brazilians, who led 26-16 at the end of the first period, ended up claiming an 80-65 victory in the Abdi Ipekci.
                Barbosa's scoring burst came with jumpers, but also easy lay-ups and dunks after the South Americans forced a series of turnovers late in the opening frame.
                Barbosa finished with 21 points and will now look to make a big difference on Monday when his team takes on the USA.
                Argentina (74) vs. Australia (72)
                Boxscore
                Anderson = 7 pts (3/8), 8 boards

Comment

Might as well link back to my thread after all's said and done.

Let me know who you thought had the most success

Raptors in the FIBA Tourney

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    I'm casually following this tournament, but man, I did not expect Canada to lose to Lebanon. I'm not sure how they'll fare against Spain and France, but both those teams are known to be good. I can see us going 1-4 in qualifying with the only win coming against New Zealand.
                    I'd worried about the game against the kiwis too...they know how to score: their PG is a scoring machine and have one man who can have the best jump in all the championship: Abercrombie, is awesome

Comment

Brazil vs USA

Triano checking out Barbosa up close and thinking of the best way to utilize his skills for the Raptors in 10-11

Comment

Barbosa misses the game tier at the buzzer to finish off for him an absolutely horrible second half and shooting performance.

I sure hope he plays a lot better for the Raptors than he did today.

He ran the point for while and was absolutely terrible. All he did was dribble the ball up the court and pass it to a teammate standing 25 feet from the basket.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          Barbosa misses the game tier at the buzzer to finish off for him an absolutely horrible second half and shooting performance.

I sure hope he plays a lot better for the Raptors than he did today.

He ran the point for while and was absolutely terrible. All he did was dribble the ball up the court and pass it to a teammate standing 25 feet from the basket.
                          That's why Barbosa is a shooting guard & not a point guard.

Comment

USA vs Brazil box score

http://turkey2010.fiba.com//pages/es...4728/game.html

Comment

DAY 3

USA (70) vs. Brazil (68)
                              Boxscore above
                              Barbosa = 14 (5/18), 4 boards, 4 dimes, 4 steals
                              The United States got their first real test of the FIBA World Championship on Monday night and edged Brazil 70-68 as Leandro Barbosa’s potential game-tying lay-up at the buzzer stayed out.
                              "Leandro Barbosa is one of the best international players in the world and Machado was one of their best shooters.
                              Australia (78) vs Germany (43)
                              Boxscore
                              Anderson = 8 pts (3/10), 8 boards, 2 blocks

Comment

Working...
                              X