Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbosa Almost Leads Brazil Past USA

Raptors Republic Rookie ShinobiOne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barbosa Almost Leads Brazil Past USA

What do we really make of this?

Is this promising for the new look Raptors next season or is it just a case of Good NBA players looking much better on their respective Country team due to less overall talent.

I personally think this is really promising for the Raps next season. It shows those players are willing to lead their teams and build confidence coming into the upcoming season. Whether it translates into an NBA game and whether all these different players will mesh together still remains to be seen.

Barbosa's #'s against US: 14pts / 4 asts / 4rbs / 4stl / 3to /36min

http://espn.go.com/extra/fiba/boxscore?gameId=300832917

Raptors Republic Rookie noxleno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to see Barbosa putting up decent numbers. The only concern is his efficiency; 3/13 from downtown, 5/18 altogether. The last thing we need for the Raps is a player who ends up taking poor shots early in the clock. Hopefully Barbosa doesn't carry that "leading scorer" mentality into the NBA season.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to agree. However, if we look at the boxscore carefully we wouldn't want him attempting and missing that many 3 pointers. lol. I do like the 4 steals and 4 assists though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it means anything, as Barbosa has already created his identity in this league. To me, Barbosa is a guy who loves basketball and will play with the same passion wherever he is. Kleiza is much the same way. I think it is promising for sure, but not something I didn't already know we were getting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder sometimes if folks who comment actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO? Barbosa already has his game established in the NBA. Plus he plays defense. So, he had an off game shooting, they still almost beat Teasm USA w/ Barbosa's off night. Brazil has a very nice team, Splitter w/ be real nice next to Duncan in SA. *Barbosa is a shooting guard- point blank.

Kleiza I'm not sold on as a SF- especially a starting SF in TO, more of a stretch 4 in my mind.

Raptors Republic Rookie noxleno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
    I wonder sometimes if folks who comment actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO? Barbosa already has his game established in the NBA. Plus he plays defense. So, he had an off game shooting, they still almost beat Teasm USA w/ Barbosa's off night. Brazil has a very nice team, Splitter w/ be real nice next to Duncan in SA. *Barbosa is a shooting guard- point blank.

Kleiza I'm not sold on as a SF- especially a starting SF in TO, more of a stretch 4 in my mind.
    Sorry, I'm a tad confused. Which of the above comments led you to wonder "if folks...actually watch any NBA basketball outside of TO?" Are you trying to say that Barbosa routinely has such horrendous shooting nights? Are you trying to defend his poor shooting, despite the fact that nobody attempted to use the stat line as a straight-up indictment of Barbosa's game? Please, elaborate.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking 13 3 pointers + 5/18 from the floor = shitty game.

I think it's a classic case of I'm the best NBA player for my country and I'm playing the USA so I'm gonna shoot shoot shoot and try to prove something.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OTFP wrote: View Post
    Taking 13 3 pointers + 5/18 from the floor = shitty game.

I think it's a classic case of I'm the best NBA player for my country and I'm playing the USA so I'm gonna shoot shoot shoot and try to prove something.
    I addressed this with the comment below which is on the World Basketball Championship 2010 thread. see link below

He was 3 - 13 on three balls. The two teams combined were 16 - 45 on threes. So the rest of the guys were 13 - 32 which is just over 40%.

The problem was not that his shots were so much long or short, but a number of them were not on line but off to the side. When your jump shots especially the open ones and/or free throws are off line it usually means that there is a