No announcement yet.

Whose ROSTER Is Better: Raps vs Kings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agree with most everyone else, kings by a country mile.

and for all those shitting on their pg situation, you don't really need a playmaking pg when you have a ball-dominating sg like tyreke who can score and make plays. in fact, it might be a hindrance to the sg doing his thing. see: the portland trailblazers trying to get rid of andre miller for someone who shoots better and handles the ball less. or, the miami heat teams before they started collecting expiring contracts for this summer. they won a title with jason williams and a 52 year old gary payton, both over the hill and shells of their former selves.

not saying tyreke is d-wade, but you get my point.

i actually think beno would be fine for that team if he were a better defender, he's just overpaid.

Comment

Eze wrote: View Post
      As for Evans, he's no Damon, IMO. Skill set wise, they're different players. Size/strength wise, it's two totally different things. I'm not sure how they're really all that comparable in general, other than both players stellar statistical rookie seasons. Seems like trying to compare an apple to an orange.
      You misunderstand the comparison. No one is comparing the two skill-wise. Obviously they are completely different players in that regard. Both players were drafted by bad teams and basically given the ball to do with what they please. There was little choice in the matter. Both players dominated the ball and put up great numbers, as a result. Both players need the ball in their hands and to be able to dominate the ball to be truly effective, but I don't see great team success with that. When Damon moved to Portland, he couldn't dominate the ball as much and struggled to adjust. He never looked as good as he did in Toronto because he's the type of player that needs to dominate the ball in order to be take full advantage of his skills, but simply isn't good enough to be able to dominate the ball on a contender. I see the same thing with Evans. With better players, I see Evans becoming less effective. He never really impressed me much in the games I watched, as he doesn't seem to have a clue how to run an offense, often passes only as a last resort, and while he's in the air, and doesn't have an outside shot to speak of. I see him as a poor man's Dwayne Wade, but Wade is much more athletic, is a much better passer and knows how to win, something I've yet to see from Evans.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I am interested to see how much time Whiteside will see, and how he will perform also. I think he has a skill set the Raptors could have used, although Davis probably brings a lot of the rebounding / shot blocking that Whiteside would have. I was hoping BC followed through when he said he might try to acquire a 2nd pick in the first round. It will be some time before Alabi is ready to compete in the NBA, I think Whiteside will be able to make more of an impact earlier in his career.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          You misunderstand the comparison. No one is comparing the two skill-wise. Obviously they are completely different players in that regard. Both players were drafted by bad teams and basically given the ball to do with what they please. There was little choice in the matter. Both players dominated the ball and put up great numbers, as a result. Both players need the ball in their hands and to be able to dominate the ball to be truly effective, but I don't see great team success with that. When Damon moved to Portland, he couldn't dominate the ball as much and struggled to adjust. He never looked as good as he did in Toronto because he's the type of player that needs to dominate the ball in order to be take full advantage of his skills, but simply isn't good enough to be able to dominate the ball on a contender. I see the same thing with Evans. With better players, I see Evans becoming less effective. He never really impressed me much in the games I watched, as he doesn't seem to have a clue how to run an offense, often passes only as a last resort, and while he's in the air, and doesn't have an outside shot to speak of. I see him as a poor man's Dwayne Wade, but Wade is much more athletic, is a much better passer and knows how to win, something I've yet to see from Evans.
          I'll just have to say I respectfully disagree with everything other than the jumper, lol, and even then, he's spent all off-season retooling it (Fanhouse did an article on it yesterday ironically) and had one of the best jumpers in all of High School basketball before going away from it at Memphis. He's a pretty special talent, IMO.

I think some King fans tend to overhype him into the second coming, he's not that - but he's pretty special.

And all that said...he's 20 years old. He's got some time to grow.
          Last edited by Eze; Wed Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Tim, you are hating Evans a lil bit. The guy was what one of three player's in NBA history to average 20-5-5 as a rookie? The guy is a stone cold killer and while his defense wasn't exemplary last year, he has my bet to be all NBA defense for years upon years. He can get to the rim whenever he wants and seems to have the Kobe gene where he takes the team on his back and wills it to win. He has a lot of growing up to do and doesn't seem to make player's better as much he lets them play with him and while that needs to be improved, if the league got blown up and started over I would draft him in the top ten to start my franchise.

The Kings are stacked for the future. They have tons of size and athleticism, guys who can play now and guys for the future. I would take thier young core over young every core in the league minus the Thunder. They need a pg who can play off the ball and spread the floor, but that's about it.

I am fairly sold on the raptors young core and feel it is undervalued by the big guns at ESPN, but the Kings are a serious up and comer in the West and if Evans and Cousins can co-exist, it going to be scary.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
              Tim, you are hating Evans a lil bit. The guy was what one of three player's in NBA history to average 20-5-5 as a rookie? The guy is a stone cold killer and while his defense wasn't exemplary last year, he has my bet to be all NBA defense for years upon years. He can get to the rim whenever he wants and seems to have the Kobe gene where he takes the team on his back and wills it to win. He has a lot of growing up to do and doesn't seem to make player's better as much he lets them play with him and while that needs to be improved, if the league got blown up and started over I would draft him in the top ten to start my franchise.

The Kings are stacked for the future. They have tons of size and athleticism, guys who can play now and guys for the future. I would take thier young core over young every core in the league minus the Thunder. They need a pg who can play off the ball and spread the floor, but that's about it.

I am fairly sold on the raptors young core and feel it is undervalued by the big guns at ESPN, but the Kings are a serious up and comer in the West and if Evans and Cousins can co-exist, it going to be scary.
              No, Im not hating on him. I'm simply pointing out his faults. I really don't like this. It's far too dismissive.

As for Evans, I realize the numbers he had. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not as good as his numbers suggest. And I think he's certainly got a chance to be a good player, but at this point I don't see him being the franchise player some do.

And if Evans had the Kobe gene for putting a team on his back and willing it to win, maybe you could explain why the team only won 25 games?

Again, I see him as a similar type player to Stoudamire. I don't think he was a bad player either, and he did learn how to be a supporting player, something I think Evans needs to learn how to do.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

i'm not the largest fan of evans either, although admittedly my reluctance to jump on his bandwagon has a lot more to do with the allegedly prominent role he may have had in killing a dude than anything he does with a basketball, but don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit Tim W by pronouncing his limited potential and need to embrace becoming a supporting player?

numbers aren't everything, sure, but the plain fact is that his rookie line blows dwyane wade's or brandon roy's straight out of the water, and evans was several years younger.

the dude has exactly one year of college and one year of pro ball under his belt, for pete's sake

Comment

I see some people saying the Kings need a legit point guard. I think they just need a Mike Bibby. Jack 3's, and give the ball to Tyreke.

You guys are right, sort of. Tyreke can be a poison as much as he can be a gift. Not to the extent of Iverson, by any means, but the comparison is there.

When it comes down to it, he's really, really good. His composure on the court is phenomenal. He uses so many veteran moves and, as the cliche goes, "sees the play ahead of time". Rare qualities in a player so young.

But time will tell!
                  Joshua Priemski
                  NBA blogger
                  SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                  www.RufusOnFire.com/
                  www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

I like TO's roster more (as is) even though Ty Evans is the best player on either roster. Sacramento needs Jose (Jose/REvans for Dalembert anyone?) as their PG spot is really raw behind Udrih- as is. I like their frontcourt depth as Cousins wil be solid next to Dalembert not to mention the lunchbox, hard hat Landry (hopefully Amir will be similar for TO) and the ever improving Thompson (who may have to play some 5 to get on the court this season). Whiteside is a project but has some of the longest arms I have ever seen on a player in 2-3 years could be a very solid rotation player if he keeps improving his game & body. Casspi gets alot of press because he's from Israel(imo) to me he's behind DGreene plus ex Raptor Wright not to mention a healthy Garcia will all fight for a cut into the rotation minutes somewhere at the SG/SF spots- where Evans will eat up alot of the SG minutes. F/a pg Earl Watson would look good in SacTown.

Sacramento roster:

Dalembert/Thompson/Whiteside
                    Cousins/Landry/DJackson
                    Greene/Casspi/Udoka
                    Evans/Wright/Garcia
                    Udrih/Jeter/Sloan

Raptor roster:

Bargnani/Dorsey/Andersen/Alabi
                    Johnson/Davis/Evans
                    DeRozan/Kleiza/Wright
                    Weems/Barbosa
                    Jack/Calderon/Banks

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                      i'm not the largest fan of evans either, although admittedly my reluctance to jump on his bandwagon has a lot more to do with the allegedly prominent role he may have had in killing a dude than anything he does with a basketball, but don't you think you're jumping to conclusions a little bit Tim W by pronouncing his limited potential and need to embrace becoming a supporting player?

numbers aren't everything, sure, but the plain fact is that his rookie line blows dwyane wade's or brandon roy's straight out of the water, and evans was several years younger.

the dude has exactly one year of college and one year of pro ball under his belt, for pete's sake
                      I'm certainly not writing him off. I haven't watched him play a whole lot of games in Sacramento, but I'm simply giving my opinion regarding the games I saw him play. I completely agree that it's too early to judge him, but what I saw makes me think he's the type of player which I described. I simply don't see a franchise player for a contender, at least at this point. That being said, I think he's better, right now, than any Raptor player.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X