Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Toronto Raptors: Five Bold Predictions For The Team's 2010 Season

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Toronto Raptors: Five Bold Predictions For The Team's 2010 Season

    Toronto Raptors: Five Bold Predictions for the Team's 2010 Season
    By Sachin Arora (Raptors Featured Columnist)

    on September 1, 2010

    The Raptors have an interesting season ahead of them.

    Bryan Colangelo has stated that they aren't going to tank, and are going to play hard and keep contending.

    Meaning they aren't rebuilding, despite the fact that they lost their best player, Chris Bosh.

    What will happen next season?

    Here are 5 bold predictions for the upcoming season.

    Chris Graythen/Getty Images

    Five Bold Predictions
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    LOL. Okay, VERY BOLD.

    My predictions:

    1) Bargnani starts season strong averaging 22 and 7 in the first 2 months, but towards March starts shooting randomly and stops trying to rebound and ends up averaging 19 and 6 on the season.

    2) DD beats Dwight to most dunks in a season. And averages 15 points a game.

    3) Kleiza is most consistent player on the team scoring well and rebounding well. 15 and 6 a game.

    4) Raptors end year with 41 wins after 8 game winning streak as Bargnani hits threes and YGZ fly up for alley-oops.

    5) Bargnani learns to coexist defensively with team mates and become an okay team defender.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    LOL. Okay, VERY BOLD.

    My predictions:

    1) Bargnani starts season strong averaging 22 and 7 in the first 2 months, but towards March starts shooting randomly and stops trying to rebound and ends up averaging 19 and 6 on the season.

    2) DD beats Dwight to most dunks in a season. And averages 15 points a game.

    3) Kleiza is most consistent player on the team scoring well and rebounding well. 15 and 6 a game.

    4) Raptors end year with 41 wins after 8 game winning streak as Bargnani hits threes and YGZ fly up for alley-oops.

    5) Bargnani learns to coexist defensively with team mates and become an okay team defender.
    I don't know about #2 but the others seem plausible.

    Its too early for me to give my predictions. While I don't expect much if any Raptos player movement during Sept except on the court I want to wait until after they have concluded their pre-season schedule before pulling a Nostradamus
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I don't know about #2 but the others seem plausible.

    Its too early for me to give my predictions. While I don't expect much if any Raptos player movement during Sept except on the court I want to wait until after they have concluded their pre-season schedule before pulling a Nostradamus
    I like giving my predictions. See how they pan out. I think the most likely ones are number 1 and 3. Number 4 could happen but not that many wins and probably not 41 wins. But we can dream HAHA

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A Bleachers Report article. ENough said.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    A Bleachers Report article. ENough said.
    LOL

    I actually agree with you, but since this article is positive about the Raptors and so many that are posted are negative I decided to post it anyway

    Nuff said
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If DeMar saved his best dunk for the finals he would be the dunk champ now as we speak.

    I don't think they'll make the playoffs. They have potential to make a run late in the season up the standings and thus killing their lotto positioning though.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If DeMar saved his best dunk for the finals he would be the dunk champ now as we speak.
    If Gasol didn't mess up and the judges actually saw Fernandez' dunks he would have won. His dunks took incredible skill. I was shocked at the scored he got.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorRoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great to see an article with some very logical scenarios instead of the usual bias and ignorance.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorRoo wrote: View Post
    Great to see an article with some very logical scenarios instead of the usual bias and ignorance.
    So basically, if it's not shockingly and unrealistically optimistic, it's biased and ignorant. It's going to be a long season for you.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So basically, if it's not shockingly and unrealistically optimistic, it's biased and ignorant. It's going to be a long season for you.
    Not necessarily

    The way that I see it and live it is.

    1. The summer time is for all kinds of speculation regarding the teams and the players you root for and fantasize about all kinds of great things that they are going to do in the next season.

    2. Once the season starts all that goes by the boards. It then becomes time to watch and enjoy the game for what it is, an incredibly enjoyable game played by exceptionally talented athletes almost all of whom are taller than the average person

    Once the season start the joy is in watching the game and the players that make it great.

    Yes it is always exciting to watch your team win and/or your favorite player play well. However when they don't there are always other teams and great talents to watch and enjoy just because it is basketball
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So basically, if it's not shockingly and unrealistically optimistic, it's biased and ignorant. It's going to be a long season for you.
    Imagine that, Tim W having no faith!

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Imagine that, Tim W having no faith!
    Faith: belief that is not based on proof.

    Not coincidentally, I'm also an atheist. And for the record, I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster, UFO's visiting earth, fairies, unicorns, that there were WMDs in Iraq or that my car is a magical time travelling device. I like some evidence to back up theories.

    It seems to me that many fans want me (and others) to turn off their brain in regards to the Raptors. Being a fan of a team does not exclude the use of logic and reasonable thinking. It means I want them to do well and gives me an emotional connection with the team. It doesn't mean not being able to look at the team objectively.

    My big problem with the predictions is they aren't backed up by anything, and some defy logic. The writer claims the Raptors will surprise the critics. Great. Why? The team lost it's best player and 3 of it's most veteran players (Bosh, Turkoglu and Nesterovic). The team has some nice young talent, but youth generally doesn't win in the NBA. Plus, they don't have a goto scorer on the team and no one who's going to manufacture points when the team is struggling. Their defense may improve, but there's absolutely no indication it's going to be even half decent.

    Amir Johnson will average a double double. Again, why? I think he'll average somewhere close to a double double, but I don't think he'll get there. Considering his penchant for fouling, and the fact that Ed Davis will probably get a lot of minutes, I don't see Amir averaging more than 30 mpg. Per 36 minutes the last two years, he didn't even average double figures in rebounds. I don't see him averaging 10 in fewer minutes. My guess is that he'll average somewhere around 10 ppg and 8 rpg.

    DeMar will win the dunk contest. Okay, he could. I don't know. He came awfully close last year, so he might.

    Bargnani will make the All Star team. Well, a closer look tells me it's doubtful. He's never come close to being voted in, and he's not going to get in over Dwight Howard, so he'll have to get chosen by the coaches. With LeBron, Garnett, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Pierce, Granger, Gerald Wallace and Josh Smith all forwards in the East, his best chance is at center. Unfortunately, you've got Al Horford, who was an All-Star last year, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut and Joakim Noah who are all clearly better players than Bargnani is. And All-Stars are usually chosen from playoff teams, especially borderline All-Stars....

    The Raptors will make the playoffs. Well, the logic of this prediction is incredibly flawed. Apparently if the Raptors aren't one of the 5 bottom teams, Amir averages a double double, DeMar wins the dunk contest and Bargnani makes the All-Star team, the Raptors should make the playoffs. Huh? How does that makes sense? The writer is missing a lot of middle ground. We can pretty much pencil in Miami, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago to make the playoffs. They have good teams and got better. Milwaukee got better in the offseason and if Bogut returns quickly, they might challenge for one of the top seeds. Indiana should return to the playoffs after missing last season, with a healthy Danny Granger and the addition of Collison. New York should have a half decent chance at the playoffs with their additions and will probably battle it out for the last spot with Charlotte. Philly, Washington and New Jersey all improved their rosters quite a bit and I would not be surprised at all to see them fighting for the last playoff spot. The Raptors won 40 games and lost their franchise player. There's absolutely no evidence to support the theory that the Raptors will come anywhere close to that win total again this season.

    I think it's funny that some fans seem to want people to turn off their brain and ignore the evidence. It's not as if I'm a big pessimist. Last season, I predicted that the Raptors would win 45 games and make the playoffs (it's near the bottom of the post). I made a bunch of other bold predictions, some of which came true and others that didn't. The difference is that my predictions were actually backed up with some evidence to support them.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I don't see Amir averaging more than 30 mpg. Per 36 minutes the last two years, he didn't even average double figures in rebounds. I don't see him averaging 10 in fewer minutes. My guess is that he'll average somewhere around 10 ppg and 8 rpg.
    I am cautiously optimistic that Amir can average 30 plus mpg in 10-11 based upon his five starts last season, and his knowing that this might be his last chance to start for his career if he remains in Toronto for his entire current contract if he can't cut it this coming season as a starter. So I think that he will make an extra effort to stay on the court, especially since he will be an integral part of the Raptors offense.

    We might see Johnson playing a lot more Bargnani type ole' defense in 10-11. I think if he does start and scores a bit that he might start getting some of those calls that should have gone his way last season that did not.

    I checked

    Games played over 30 minutes in his career

    Starter
    ----------
    Games-------6
    MPG-------35.4
    PPG-------16.2
    RPG--------8.8

    Off the Bench
    -------------------
    Games-------4
    MPG-------33.6
    PPG-------13.0
    RPG-------11.0

    Total Career 30 Plus Minute Games
    -------------------------------
    Games -----10 out of 217 played
    MPG-------34.7
    PPG-------14.9
    RPG--------9.7

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...johnsam01.html

    I think about 25 MPG for Amir in 10-11 is reasonable with 12-14 PPG and 7-8 RPG

    It seems to me that because of his developing offense he will score more points per 36 minutes in 10-11 than he has in any other season of his career.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Faith: belief that is not based on proof.

    Not coincidentally, I'm also an atheist. And for the record, I don't believe in the Loch Ness monster, UFO's visiting earth, fairies, unicorns, that there were WMDs in Iraq or that my car is a magical time travelling device. I like some evidence to back up theories.

    It seems to me that many fans want me (and others) to turn off their brain in regards to the Raptors. Being a fan of a team does not exclude the use of logic and reasonable thinking. It means I want them to do well and gives me an emotional connection with the team. It doesn't mean not being able to look at the team objectively.

    My big problem with the predictions is they aren't backed up by anything, and some defy logic. The writer claims the Raptors will surprise the critics. Great. Why? The team lost it's best player and 3 of it's most veteran players (Bosh, Turkoglu and Nesterovic). The team has some nice young talent, but youth generally doesn't win in the NBA. Plus, they don't have a goto scorer on the team and no one who's going to manufacture points when the team is struggling. Their defense may improve, but there's absolutely no indication it's going to be even half decent.

    Amir Johnson will average a double double. Again, why? I think he'll average somewhere close to a double double, but I don't think he'll get there. Considering his penchant for fouling, and the fact that Ed Davis will probably get a lot of minutes, I don't see Amir averaging more than 30 mpg. Per 36 minutes the last two years, he didn't even average double figures in rebounds. I don't see him averaging 10 in fewer minutes. My guess is that he'll average somewhere around 10 ppg and 8 rpg.

    DeMar will win the dunk contest. Okay, he could. I don't know. He came awfully close last year, so he might.

    Bargnani will make the All Star team. Well, a closer look tells me it's doubtful. He's never come close to being voted in, and he's not going to get in over Dwight Howard, so he'll have to get chosen by the coaches. With LeBron, Garnett, Bosh, Amare, Boozer, Pierce, Granger, Gerald Wallace and Josh Smith all forwards in the East, his best chance is at center. Unfortunately, you've got Al Horford, who was an All-Star last year, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut and Joakim Noah who are all clearly better players than Bargnani is. And All-Stars are usually chosen from playoff teams, especially borderline All-Stars....

    The Raptors will make the playoffs. Well, the logic of this prediction is incredibly flawed. Apparently if the Raptors aren't one of the 5 bottom teams, Amir averages a double double, DeMar wins the dunk contest and Bargnani makes the All-Star team, the Raptors should make the playoffs. Huh? How does that makes sense? The writer is missing a lot of middle ground. We can pretty much pencil in Miami, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago to make the playoffs. They have good teams and got better. Milwaukee got better in the offseason and if Bogut returns quickly, they might challenge for one of the top seeds. Indiana should return to the playoffs after missing last season, with a healthy Danny Granger and the addition of Collison. New York should have a half decent chance at the playoffs with their additions and will probably battle it out for the last spot with Charlotte. Philly, Washington and New Jersey all improved their rosters quite a bit and I would not be surprised at all to see them fighting for the last playoff spot. The Raptors won 40 games and lost their franchise player. There's absolutely no evidence to support the theory that the Raptors will come anywhere close to that win total again this season.

    I think it's funny that some fans seem to want people to turn off their brain and ignore the evidence. It's not as if I'm a big pessimist. Last season, I predicted that the Raptors would win 45 games and make the playoffs (it's near the bottom of the post). I made a bunch of other bold predictions, some of which came true and others that didn't. The difference is that my predictions were actually backed up with some evidence to support them.
    By you saying you don't believe in UFO's really tells me allot... I definately didn't say I want you to turn your brain off (was it ever on?) The fact is that you look at everything in black and white. Its either conclusive or it isn't, there's no grey area in terms of your thinking. "You take away 3 veterans, means you will be worse." Ok... According to you? "Youth doesn't typically win in the NBA".. According to you? "The team doens't have a go to scorer"... Oh did you go into the future and watch the Raps? Because as far as I know training camp hasn't started, and they haven't played in a game yet. "Amir could get a double double but he's a penchant fouler"... So if he doesn't foul as much he's going to get a double double? I like those odds, I mean he's more determined then ever this offseason so "logic" indicates he will figure it out, so double double here Amir comes! I'm not getting into Bargnani again. Where in the article does it say 5 recipes for a playoff team? If you think the points he was listing were indications of what the Raptors need to do to become an allstar team, then you need to learn basic analyzation skills. This isn't what the writer was inferring. You sound like an idiot when you make statements like "Do I need to turn off my brain?" Yah Tim, your the premier basketball mind...........

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tim W " The team lost it's best player and 3 of it's most veteran players (Bosh, Turkoglu and Nesterovic). The team has some nice young talent, but youth generally doesn't win in the NBA. Plus, they don't have a goto scorer on the team and no one who's going to manufacture points when the team is struggling. Their defense may improve, but there's absolutely no indication it's going to be even half decent. "

    Tim the team lost three veterans yes you are right.
    Bosh is a very good PF, average to weak defender. Nesterovich was a great back up for spot duty, and Turdolou was a complete waste of a uniform.
    Bosh will be reaplaced in the starting line up by Amir who is a better defender, bas good or better rebounder, better help defender, better team player andwill likely average 10 to 12 points per game.
    Bargs will get more touches, more plays on the elbow and in the post and will score a few more per game and likely rebound 1.5 to 2 rebounds per game higher. Kleiza will have better averages than Turd, and wants to play and be here, and has a chance to gel with Bargs and Amir. I think the front court offence and defence is actually better than last year, or will be after a little time.
    Davis will likely turn into a better bench big than Rasho, and Barbosa adds his skills and improves the guard play and offence, while DeMar and Weems will both get the ball more and be able to contribute more than when Bosh and Turd were here.
    Personally I think the team has the chance to be better with perhaps a slow start, but a strong middle and finish. The East has gotten tougher so I'm not sure where the end up but I'm ok if they play hard, win a fair share of games and improve the talent for next year. This is not a championship team and we all know that so those who always talk championship are wasting their time. This is a young exciting team that will be fun and entertaining to watch and I am excited for the season to begin.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    By you saying you don't believe in UFO's really tells me allot...
    That I need some evidence and logic to believe in something.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    I definately didn't say I want you to turn your brain off (was it ever on?)
    When in doubt, insult.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    The fact is that you look at everything in black and white. Its either conclusive or it isn't, there's no grey area in terms of your thinking.
    Unlike you, apparently. And the fact is, I don't tend to enter into discussions about the "grey area", because I find it pointless. The areas which I have strong opinions on are the black and white areas where there is evidence to support my opinion.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    "You take away 3 veterans, means you will be worse." Ok... According to you? "Youth doesn't typically win in the NBA".. According to you?
    Actually, according to the history of the league. This isn't revolutionary thinking, here. It's a pretty well known fact. Is this something you are really debating?

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    "The team doens't have a go to scorer"... Oh did you go into the future and watch the Raps? Because as far as I know training camp hasn't started, and they haven't played in a game yet.
    The fact is that, at this point, the Raptors don't seem to have someone who you can give the ball to in pressure situations and they will likely either get a basket or get to the line. Is there someone on the team I missed? The only real players that could do it last season were Bosh and Turkolgu, and they're now gone. It could be that someone might step into that role, but at this point they DON'T have a goto guy.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    "Amir could get a double double but he's a penchant fouler"... So if he doesn't foul as much he's going to get a double double? I like those odds, I mean he's more determined then ever this offseason so "logic" indicates he will figure it out, so double double here Amir comes!
    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    I'm not getting into Bargnani again. Where in the article does it say 5 recipes for a playoff team? If you think the points he was listing were indications of what the Raptors need to do to become an allstar team, then you need to learn basic analyzation skills. This isn't what the writer was inferring. You sound like an idiot when you make statements like "Do I need to turn off my brain?" Yah Tim, your the premier basketball mind...........
    Okay, again with the insults. Why? And when debating someone's intelligence, maybe don't say "your" when you mean "you're". It kind of takes the wind out of your argument.

    My statement about turning off your brain was meant to relate to the fact that some around here are incredibly insulted if you don't look at the team through rose coloured glasses. I don't think the team will be very good next season, and have been insulted for this and called pessimistic. I'm not. I'm just looking at the team objectively.

    As for the the article, it clearly states in it's prediction the team will be a playoff team "...if all of the predictions before this one come true, then there is a good chance that this one comes true as well." Not much room for debate there, is there.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is possible for someone to start a thread about something, and actually stay ON topic?

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not when its about Bargnani, his fans take it way too personal.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Krix wrote: View Post
    Not when its about Bargnani, his fans take it way too personal.
    I'm a really huge Bargs fan too though... I don't take it personally... LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •