No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors: Five Bold Predictions For The Team's 2010 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W " The team lost it's best player and 3 of it's most veteran players (Bosh, Turkoglu and Nesterovic). The team has some nice young talent, but youth generally doesn't win in the NBA. Plus, they don't have a goto scorer on the team and no one who's going to manufacture points when the team is struggling. Their defense may improve, but there's absolutely no indication it's going to be even half decent. "

Tim the team lost three veterans yes you are right.
    Bosh is a very good PF, average to weak defender. Nesterovich was a great back up for spot duty, and Turdolou was a complete waste of a uniform.
    Bosh will be reaplaced in the starting line up by Amir who is a better defender, bas good or better rebounder, better help defender, better team player andwill likely average 10 to 12 points per game.
    Bargs will get more touches, more plays on the elbow and in the post and will score a few more per game and likely rebound 1.5 to 2 rebounds per game higher. Kleiza will have better averages than Turd, and wants to play and be here, and has a chance to gel with Bargs and Amir. I think the front court offence and defence is actually better than last year, or will be after a little time.
    Davis will likely turn into a better bench big than Rasho, and Barbosa adds his skills and improves the guard play and offence, while DeMar and Weems will both get the ball more and be able to contribute more than when Bosh and Turd were here.
    Personally I think the team has the chance to be better with perhaps a slow start, but a strong middle and finish. The East has gotten tougher so I'm not sure where the end up but I'm ok if they play hard, win a fair share of games and improve the talent for next year. This is not a championship team and we all know that so those who always talk championship are wasting their time. This is a young exciting team that will be fun and entertaining to watch and I am excited for the season to begin.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
      By you saying you don't believe in UFO's really tells me allot...
      That I need some evidence and logic to believe in something.

I definately didn't say I want you to turn your brain off (was it ever on?)
      When in doubt, insult.

The fact is that you look at everything in black and white. Its either conclusive or it isn't, there's no grey area in terms of your thinking.
      Unlike you, apparently. And the fact is, I don't tend to enter into discussions about the "grey area", because I find it pointless. The areas which I have strong opinions on are the black and white areas where there is evidence to support my opinion.

"You take away 3 veterans, means you will be worse." Ok... According to you? "Youth doesn't typically win in the NBA".. According to you?
      Actually, according to the history of the league. This isn't revolutionary thinking, here. It's a pretty well known fact. Is this something you are really debating?

"The team doens't have a go to scorer"... Oh did you go into the future and watch the Raps? Because as far as I know training camp hasn't started, and they haven't played in a game yet.
      The fact is that, at this point, the Raptors don't seem to have someone who you can give the ball to in pressure situations and they will likely either get a basket or get to the line. Is there someone on the team I missed? The only real players that could do it last season were Bosh and Turkolgu, and they're now gone. It could be that someone might step into that role, but at this point they DON'T have a goto guy.

"Amir could get a double double but he's a penchant fouler"... So if he doesn't foul as much he's going to get a double double? I like those odds, I mean he's more determined then ever this offseason so "logic" indicates he will figure it out, so double double here Amir comes!
      I'm not getting into Bargnani again. Where in the article does it say 5 recipes for a playoff team? If you think the points he was listing were indications of what the Raptors need to do to become an allstar team, then you need to learn basic analyzation skills. This isn't what the writer was inferring. You sound like an idiot when you make statements like "Do I need to turn off my brain?" Yah Tim, your the premier basketball mind...........
      Okay, again with the insults. Why? And when debating someone's intelligence, maybe don't say "your" when you mean "you're". It kind of takes the wind out of your argument.

My statement about turning off your brain was meant to relate to the fact that some around here are incredibly insulted if you don't look at the team through rose coloured glasses. I don't think the team will be very good next season, and have been insulted for this and called pessimistic. I'm not. I'm just looking at the team objectively.

As for the the article, it clearly states in it's prediction the team will be a playoff team "...if all of the predictions before this one come true, then there is a good chance that this one comes true as well." Not much room for debate there, is there.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It is possible for someone to start a thread about something, and actually stay ON topic?

Comment

Not when its about Bargnani, his fans take it way too personal.

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
            Not when its about Bargnani, his fans take it way too personal.
            I'm a really huge Bargs fan too though... I don't take it personally... LOL

Comment

I wasn't talking about you...but I see your point (you should consider yourself a rare breed).

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
                I wasn't talking about you...but I see your point (you should consider yourself a rare breed).
                I know HAHA. Why how nice of you

I love Bargs. But some people here are like.... ...... look at the other threads, I'm like to scared to actually post an actual reply LOL

Comment

Pizzaman wrote: View Post
                  Tim the team lost three veterans yes you are right.
                  Bosh is a very good PF, average to weak defender. Nesterovich was a great back up for spot duty, and Turdolou was a complete waste of a uniform.
                  Bosh will be reaplaced in the starting line up by Amir who is a better defender, bas good or better rebounder, better help defender, better team player andwill likely average 10 to 12 points per game.
                  Bargs will get more touches, more plays on the elbow and in the post and will score a few more per game and likely rebound 1.5 to 2 rebounds per game higher. Kleiza will have better averages than Turd, and wants to play and be here, and has a chance to gel with Bargs and Amir. I think the front court offence and defence is actually better than last year, or will be after a little time.
                  Davis will likely turn into a better bench big than Rasho, and Barbosa adds his skills and improves the guard play and offence, while DeMar and Weems will both get the ball more and be able to contribute more than when Bosh and Turd were here.
                  Personally I think the team has the chance to be better with perhaps a slow start, but a strong middle and finish. The East has gotten tougher so I'm not sure where the end up but I'm ok if they play hard, win a fair share of games and improve the talent for next year. This is not a championship team and we all know that so those who always talk championship are wasting their time. This is a young exciting team that will be fun and entertaining to watch and I am excited for the season to begin.
                  Okay, Bosh is a top 10-15 player in the league, and that's simply not easy to replace. The Raptors can replace his rebounding, but on a team that was such a poor rebounding team to begin with, losing a 10 rpg player is going to hurt. Johnson is a good rebounder, and should lessen the impact, a lot depends on Ed Davis replacing Johnson's rebounds off the bench.

On defense, I see some mild improvements, but Bosh wasn't a weak link defensively, so losing him isn't exactly going to help the team. Johnson is a solid defender and so should Ed Davis be, but unfortunately Bargnani is still roaming the frontcourt on defense, so I don't expect the defense to improve that much.

No one, unfortunately, can replace Bosh's scoring. While he did hold the ball more than he should have, he was the only Raptor who could score consistently. If his shot wasn't falling, he could still get to the line. For all the people that hate Bosh, he departure will have a major negative on the team. No one else on the team can fill that role. Bargnani can't create his own shot or get to the line, neither Weems nor DeRozan have good enough ball handling skills and are still too raw, Jack simply isn't a good enough scorer, Calderon is good at running an offense, but isn't much a creator, I'd like to see Kleiza average more than 11 ppg in the NBA before depending on him. Barbosa will probably end up filling that role with the team, but he doesn't get to the line at a high rate and doesn't finish well under pressure, something he's going to have to do at the end of games.

As for missing the veterans, it's not just what they do on the court. Nesterovic obviously had little impact on the court. But off the court, veterans help.

And however much the Turkoglu experiment was a failure, he had a bigger positive impact than you're giving him credit for on the court. He didn't live up to his contract, sulked and I'm certainly glad he's not on the team anymore, but for a good portion of the season, his passing and ball handling gave the Raptors a few more wins. I hope Kleiza can come in and replace what Turkoglu took away, and make a much more positive impact on the team atmosphere, but he's never played even 25 mpg in the NBA, so no one really knows.

I think the team will be an exciting team to watch and I like the future of the team and most of the roster. I just don't think they have the roster that will win more than 30 games next season.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I forgot about this...
                    "Amir could get a double double but he's a penchant fouler"... So if he doesn't foul as much he's going to get a double double? I like those odds, I mean he's more determined then ever this offseason so "logic" indicates he will figure it out, so double double here Amir comes!
                    Actually, logic doesn't dictate anything except that he may have trouble staying on the court for 30 mpg. In five years in the league, Amir has ALWAYS had trouble with his fouls, so logic says that will probably continue. I think he will improve on his fouling, but in five years, he's only had one season where his per 36 mpg numbers were less than 6 fouls per game, and he only played 8 games that year, so the evidence doesn't necessarily support that opinion. And since Amir didn't average 10 rpg per 36 mpg last season, it's doubtful he will in 30 mpg. Neither the evidence, nor logic, supports this theory.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      I know HAHA. Why how nice of you

I love Bargs. But some people here are like.... ...... look at the other threads, I'm like to scared to actually post an actual reply LOL
                      Your posts about Bargnani are generally quite reasonable and insult free. If more of his fans were like you, I highly doubt there would be nearly as many heated arguments about him.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        Okay, Bosh is a top 10-15 player in the league, and that's simply not easy to replace. The Raptors can replace his rebounding, but on a team that was such a poor rebounding team to begin with, losing a 10 rpg player is going to hurt. Johnson is a good rebounder, and should lessen the impact, a lot depends on Ed Davis replacing Johnson's rebounds off the bench.

On defense, I see some mild improvements, but Bosh wasn't a weak link defensively, so losing him isn't exactly going to help the team. Johnson is a solid defender and so should Ed Davis be, but unfortunately Bargnani is still roaming the frontcourt on defense, so I don't expect the defense to improve that much.

No one, unfortunately, can replace Bosh's scoring. While he did hold the ball more than he should have, he was the only Raptor who could score consistently. If his shot wasn't falling, he could still get to the line. For all the people that hate Bosh, he departure will have a major negative on the team. No one else on the team can fill that role. Bargnani can't create his own shot or get to the line, neither Weems nor DeRozan have good enough ball handling skills and are still too raw, Jack simply isn't a good enough scorer, Calderon is good at running an offense, but isn't much a creator, I'd like to see Kleiza average more than 11 ppg in the NBA before depending on him. Barbosa will probably end up filling that role with the team, but he doesn't get to the line at a high rate and doesn't finish well under pressure, something he's going to have to do at the end of games.

As for missing the veterans, it's not just what they do on the court. Nesterovic obviously had little impact on the court. But off the court, veterans help.

And however much the Turkoglu experiment was a failure, he had a bigger positive impact than you're giving him credit for on the court. He didn't live up to his contract, sulked and I'm certainly glad he's not on the team anymore, but for a good portion of the season, his passing and ball handling gave the Raptors a few more wins. I hope Kleiza can come in and replace what Turkoglu took away, and make a much more positive impact on the team atmosphere, but he's never played even 25 mpg in the NBA, so no one really knows.

I think the team will be an exciting team to watch and I like the future of the team and most of the roster. I just don't think they have the roster that will win more than 30 games next season.
                        1. Scoring - Bosh missed 12 games during the season and played less than three minutes in the one game in April that he got hurt in

Raptors PPG Comparison
                        ===============
                        Season------------104.1
                        Without Bosh------103.8
                        With Bosh---------104.2
                        -----------------------------
                        Games With Bosh +.4 PPG
                        =======================

So last season when the Raptors entire offense was built around Bosh they only scored .4 of point less per game in the 13 games that he effectively didn't play in vs 69 that he did.

Additions this season include

Kleiza who will average more ppg than Turk's 11.3
                        Barbosa and J. Wright - should average at least 12 ppg vs Wright and Belinelli combined 13.6
                        Anderson should average at least Rasho's 3.9 per game

So that group of new players combined should average about the same number of ppg give or take a point or two per game as the players that they replaced

With the new guys being at least as productive as the guys that they replaced and with the 10-11 offense being designed around the them and the players remaining and not Bosh the 10-11 team should be able to score at least as many ppg as the 09-10 team did when Bosh played.

As far as the the three veterans that have left (I don't consider Belinelli a veteran any more than Johnson is a veteran)

Turk - He was useless and Kleiza has four seasons of NBA experience plus one season of very level Euro League experience. So I don't see much of a loss in experience replacing Turk with Kleiza. When the Raptors get to the playoffs in Apr 11? then we can revisit the Turk vs Kleiza experience factor. In the meantime the level of play and intensity of play in 10-11 from Kleiza will most likely exceed what Turk did in 09-10

Rasho - Rasho had a couple of nice games offensively but other than that and being a nice guy he was useless.

Wright - He was a waste and contributed a lot more negative stuff than positive stuff

As far as Bosh's experience goes - No doubt that Davis and Johnson don't have anywhere near his NBA experience so there will be a learning curve there. However, I think that the learning curve will be primarily against the better bigs in the NBA.

I do think that the degree of success that the Raptors achieve in 10-11 will depend primarily on three huge variables.

1. Can Johnson stay on the court for at least 25 mpg and hopefully 30 mpg?
                        2. How much will DeRozan's all around game improve in 10-11 vs 09-10?
                        3. How long will it take Davis to become an effective NBA big?

If all three of those things go well then the Raptors should have a very competitive team especially at home where their youthful running style of play will feed more off of the home fans.

The Raptors should struggle on the road in 10-11 especially against playoff teams. If they can win more than handful of road games against teams that wind up in the playoffs in 10-11 then overall for all 82 games they should exceed my current preliminary expectations for the 10-11 regular season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2010.html
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan, I'm not quoting your entire post because it's too long, but as you well know, when a primary scorer goes out for a short period, teams often raise their level and play better in his absence. Over an extended period, this doesn't work. Over an 82 game period, the Raptors will miss Bosh's scoring, no matter who steps up to replace his numbers. The reason is it's not just the numbers, but how and when the scoring happens. Obviously players fill the void, but who is going to manufacture points when shots aren't falling? Who is going to command double teams over the course of the season to open things up for the rest of the team?
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

my Predictions
                            1. Bargs has second pasta sponsorship with new tv ad
                            2. weems has 18 point season
                            3. jose and amir get injured
                            4. then finally big midseason trade

Comment

peanutplaza wrote: View Post
                              my Predictions
                              1. Bargs has second pasta sponsorship with new tv ad
                              2. weems has 18 point season
                              3. jose and amir get injured
                              4. then finally big midseason trade
                              I think Weems will score more than 18 points over the entire season! I wouldn't be surprised if he got that in the first 2 or 3 games!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Buddahfan, I'm not quoting your entire post because it's too long, but as you well know, when a primary scorer goes out for a short period, teams often raise their level and play better in his absence. Over an extended period, this doesn't work. Over an 82 game period, the Raptors will miss Bosh's scoring, no matter who steps up to replace his numbers. The reason is it's not just the numbers, but how and when the scoring happens. Obviously players fill the void, but who is going to manufacture points when shots aren't falling? Who is going to command double teams over the course of the season to open things up for the rest of the team?
                                Your point would be correct in circumstances that don't take into account the fact that the offense of the other players on the Raptors roster last season was underutilized due to their offense being designed for the ISO guy.

We will see who is correct.
                                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X