Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marco or Delfino?

Who you prefer?

Even though Marco has the "potential" to be better than Delfino but Delfino is well-rounded and better in the defensive-end

So second question, Do you guys regret not signing Delfino?

Delfino in a landslide ...

Rebounds -- Delfino pulls down 6.3 rebounds per 36 for his career. Belinelli only averages 2.8 per 36. That's a massive difference. Delfino generates an extra 3.5 rebounds/possessions for every 36 minutes of court time for his team, that's extremely valuable, especially from a two guard.

Belinelli's inability to rebound the ball adequately is holding back his career as a shooting guard. It forces him to be far more effective offensively + defensively. Simply put, Beli isn't good enough defensively (below average but serviceable) or offensively (streaky, inconsistent) to make up those negative rebounding contributions. Especially not when he's compared to a solid wing player like Carlos Delfino.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

I would prefer to have neither running the point ideally. If I had to choose I would say its a wash overall. No, I don't regret not signing Delfino. He would have been redundant. He's also highly inconsistent.

Dave wrote: View Post
      Delfino in a landslide ...

Rebounds -- Delfino pulls down 6.3 rebounds per 36 for his career. Belinelli only averages 2.8 per 36. That's a massive difference. Delfino generates an extra 3.5 rebounds/possessions for every 36 minutes of court time for his team, that's extremely valuable, especially from a two guard.
      No doubt Delfino is a better rebounder but he's playing forward for the Bucks where as Belinelli is playing the one and two here. Marco doesn't get as many opportunities.

Marco is less than half the price. Marco is $1.5M and Delfino is $3.5M. I think you get more bang for your buck out of Marco. Not mention that if you brought in Delfino you probably wouldn't have one of Jack or Nesterovic. I would prefer either one of those guys over Delfino.

Marco is a far better shooter from the field and from long range.
      Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I would rather have Delfino than Amir Johnson. I felt that Delfino would have earned a larger role in the team (more minutes) and thus had a larger impact on the Raptors than Amir has.

In truth, the Raptors have only one wing player who is average or better in his role and that's Hedo Turkoglu. Delfino would have given them a second dependable contributor on the wing which would help further solidify that wing rotation. It also would have decreased the burden on DeMar DeRozan.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

Delfino was anything but dependable when he was in Toronto or Detroit. I don;t know where this mythical "consistency" comes from...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Delfino was anything but dependable when he was in Toronto or Detroit. I don;t know where this mythical "consistency" comes from...
            Off course he is not consistent in toronto.... both Delfino and Kapono have the same skills (offensive wise); they hurt each other due to "play time" wise (substitution is not consistent) but they coexist really well with each other

Comment

Delfino's shooting was inconsistent but his rebounding + defense were consistent. His teams could rely on those contributions and have his offense as a variable.

That allowed Delfino to make a sizable amount of positive contributions on a nightly basis. On nights were he shot the ball well Delfino then became a highly effective role player. On nights were he shot the ball at an average (for him) level he was a solid role player. On nights were he shot the poorly he was a below average but serviceable role player.

In comparison, players like Marco Belinelli (rebounding, inconsistency) + DeRozan (defense, offense) + Antoine Wright (offense) have far more games were they are sub-standard role players who have a poor-to-very poor effect on games + less games than Delfino were they have a positive effect on the outcome.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Ideally, Delfino should never be considered a dependable player ... but such is the level of talent on the Raptors wing behind Hedo Turkoglu.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Faithleader wrote: View Post
                  Off course he is not consistent in toronto.... both Delfino and Kapono have the same skills (offensive wise); they hurt each other due to "play time" wise (substitution is not consistent) but they coexist really well with each other
                  I don't agree with that. All Kapono could do was hit threes when uncontested. Take that away and he was useless. He could hit them at an outstanding effciency but he was greatly limited in every other way. Delfino no doubt took 3pt attempts but he was not a good three point shooter. He could handle the ball though. I mean if we're talking as though Kapono was a threat to PT then that should speak enough about where Delfino is/was as a player...

Here's a thought, if a player can't come in and play well without playing 25-30 minutes a game then that's certainly not a player who can help the Raptors to their ultimate goal.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                    I would rather have Delfino than Amir Johnson. I felt that Delfino would have earned a larger role in the team (more minutes) and thus had a larger impact on the Raptors than Amir has.
                    Amir Johnson is doing a great job for the raps this season; he crashes the boards, is aggressive on d, and picks up garbage points off of offensive rebounds that have helped the raps in tight games; In NO WAY would i ever take Delfino over Johnson; 22 years old with 5 years of NBA experience on a team that lacks defensive intensity: hmmm........Johnson over Delfino without any hesitation
                    Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
                      Amir Johnson is doing a great job for the raps this season; he crashes the boards, is aggressive on d, and picks up garbage points off of offensive rebounds that have helped the raps in tight games; In NO WAY would i ever take Delfino over Johnson; 22 years old with 5 years of NBA experience on a team that lacks defensive intensity: hmmm........Johnson over Delfino without any hesitation
                      If Amir Johnson was playing close to, or above, 30 minutes a night I'd agree ... but I think 30 minutes of Delfino vs 17 minutes of Amir (which likely decreases once Reggie Evans returns) allows Delfino to make a greater impact on the Raptors than Amir can.
                      nbaroundtable

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I would prefer to have neither running the point ideally. If I had to choose I would say its a wash overall. No, I don't regret not signing Delfino. He would have been redundant. He's also highly inconsistent.

No doubt Delfino is a better rebounder but he's playing forward for the Bucks where as Belinelli is playing the one and two here. Marco doesn't get as many opportunities.

Marco is less than half the price. Marco is $1.5M and Delfino is $3.5M. I think you get more bang for your buck out of Marco. Not mention that if you brought in Delfino you probably wouldn't have one of Jack or Nesterovic. I would prefer either one of those guys over Delfino.

Marco is a far better shooter from the field and from long range.
                        You said it perfectly.

I think Marco can be great though. I think he needs a "DeRozan" treatment. I.e. given a ton of minutes and room to make mistakes. I think he has a higher ceiling than DeRozan (or he could end up like a T.J Ford.)

Comment

I would rather have Belinelli for the price and number of years - however, I don't think extending him was a wise course. Amir turned out to be our most crucial signing after Evans went down.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                            You said it perfectly.

I think Marco can be great though. I think he needs a "DeRozan" treatment. I.e. given a ton of minutes and room to make mistakes. I think he has a higher ceiling than DeRozan (or he could end up like a T.J Ford.)
                            how is marco end up being T.J ford? I don't think he is fast enough or has a great ball handling skill...

I think Marco could be a ginobili type player...

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
                              It was only a couple years ago when the Pistons looked at Johnson as untouchable, key core piece of the future.

Faithleader wrote: View Post
                              how is marco end up being T.J ford? I don't think he is fast enough or has a great ball handling skill...

I think Marco could be a ginobili type player...
                              Maybe he meant an aggressive attacker?
                              Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X