Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com Summer Report Card

Link

Tied with Cleveland for the worst summer report card grade... D.

Frontcourt: D
    The departure of Chris Bosh left a hole that rookie Ed Davis doesn't quite fill. The Raptors will have to hope that Amir Johnson can handle a bigger role.

Backcourt: C
    Somehow, Jose Calderon is still a Raptor. Leandro Barbosa gives Toronto more offense in the backcourt, but he's undersized at the two.

Defense: D
    This was the worst defensive team in the league last season, and the personnel they added won't help much. Expect them to be at the bottom of the league again.

Bench: C
    With Barbosa and either Calderon or Jarrett Jack, the Raptors' second unit will have a strong backcourt. But there's not much up front.

Coaching: C
    Jay Triano holds some of the responsibility for how awful the Raptors were defensively last season. He'll need a new plan on that end of the floor.

I can't argue with that grade.

Comment

How does Cleveland not get a "F" after losing Lebron? I'm not hating on them I just think we did more this off-season to earn us a higher grade than the Cavs.

Comment

Uhhhh, cleveland still has a ton of decent players such as Varaejo, Jamison, Williams, Powe, Sessions, Hickson....

But no stars. Same boat as the raps.

Comment

This article doesnt mean shit...The summer isnt over yet and BC isnt done making deals...

Comment

At the end of the year it's the games played and won or lost. Grades are useless.

Comment

This is a team that is determined to prove themselves. Expect better than what is already being expected.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                Uhhhh, cleveland still has a ton of decent players such as Varaejo, Jamison, Williams, Powe, Sessions, Hickson....

But no stars. Same boat as the raps.
                Yes, but the grade is not supposed to be where they are, but what they have done. While the Raptors did some moves to improve their situation in the offseason, Cleveland has done virtually nothing. They sat out the draft, traded for Ramon Sessions (whose still got 4 years left on his contract and couldn't beat out Jonny Flynn in Minnesota) and signed Joey Graham. Toronto picked up an extra draft pick as well as getting a top 10 pick at 13, signed Kleiza and was able to trade Turkoglu for a useable player who's younger AND has a shorter contract. And while they may have overpaid Amir, they were able to re-sign him instead of losing him to another team. They were able to improve their situation without hurting their future.

I don't think the offseason has been spectacular, with losing Bosh, but I'd certainly say they've done better than Cleveland.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Take this stuff with a pinch of salt. Its seems like the US media will always take a dump on any slight adjustment made to our roster. A foreign team doing well? That's not allowed to happen!!!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    And while they may have overpaid Amir, they were able to re-sign him instead of losing him to another team.
                    I don't think they overpaid Amir at all. Really, his contract works out to $5 million a year for a first big man off the bench, if not a starter. The media misreported his contract when it was signed (they counted all the incentives and bonuses, which if he achieves again makes him worth it), and are still hanging on to this number. Another misrepresentation.

Comment

+1 totally agree with this

Comment

Yes, but the grade is not supposed to be where they are, but what they have done. While the Raptors did some moves to improve their situation in the offseason, Cleveland has done virtually nothing. They sat out the draft, traded for Ramon Sessions (whose still got 4 years left on his contract and couldn't beat out Jonny Flynn in Minnesota) and signed Joey Graham. Toronto picked up an extra draft pick as well as getting a top 10 pick at 13, signed Kleiza and was able to trade Turkoglu for a useable player who's younger AND has a shorter contract. And while they may have overpaid Amir, they were able to re-sign him instead of losing him to another team. They were able to improve their situation without hurting their future.

I don't think the offseason has been spectacular, with losing Bosh, but I'd certainly say they've done better than Cleveland.
                        I have already proven that if Johnson plays at just the same level in 10-11 that he did in 09-10 that for 10-11 the Raptors will not be overpaying him. In fact compared to other veteran Power Forwards in the league; i.e., those not on rookie contracts, they will be paying him less than the average per Win Share which after all is what counts. Remember that Johnson will only be making $5 million in 10-11. His annual salary escalates from there starting in 11-12.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010
                        Cost Per Win Share Created Amir Does Welll

All Forwards with Wins Shares in 2010-11 equal to or greater than 2.0 and equal to or less than 5.0 Johnson had 4.5 Wins Shares last season...........

In this case Johnson was the fifth most productive among this group of Forwards when it comes to producing Win Shares; i.e. Wins for the team, based upon his actual minutes played in 09-10 and his 10-11 salary.

On the other hand Bargnani was only the 15th most cost effective player out of this group and costs MLSE twice as much per win produced than Johnson.

Therefore in conclusion it seems to me that when it comes toward contributing toward the Raptors winning that Bargnani is the one that is getting overpaid and not Johnson
                        comp article on my Amir Johnson blog NBA 25-15
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Let me clarify. I said Amir MAY have been overpaid, as in there are some with the opinion that he was overpaid. Personally, I think the contract was fine, but I realize that there are many who disagree.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Well said. Totally agreed with on my part.

Comment

So, the game today is called: Find some stats that make Amir and his signing look good? For what he has shown so far, he is overpaid. And please don't tell me, he's got a contract for what kind of player he may be in 2 years. Every GM who has to gamble like this should be fired. Simply one of the worst signings ever. I can't imagine what contract they want to give to Demar. Max-money?

Comment

Working...
                              X