Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Calderon To Bobcats Rumors Heat Up Again? - Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Calderon To Bobcats Rumors Heat Up Again? - Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?

    Why Monday? - My guess is because it is the first day after the completion of the FIBA tournament
    =============================

    Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?
    September 9th, 2010 | by Steve Clarke |

    As first discussed in a previous blog here at JurassicHoops.com, all signs point to Bryan Colangelo making a big play for Erick Dampier’s expiring deal on Monday. Today, Jarrett Jack spoke about the situation in a slamonline.com interview, commenting that the Raptors seem likely to make another move before training camp, and my money is on the Raps and Bobcats finally consummating a Jose Calderon-to-Charlotte deal.

    Reports earlier today said BC has been considering making a play for Louis Amundson. Could a Charlotte-Toronto-Phoenix sign and trade deal work? My guess is where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

    Putting the Amundson issue aside, as I stated in that previous entry, the league’s collective bargaining agreement would allow for a deal such as:

    Calderon + Reggie Evans + Marcus Banks in exchange for Dampier and Boris Diaw.

    In this scenario, Charlotte gets their PG, Toronto gets bigger. Whether Dampier would ever take the court if acquired is another issue – if he were to be acquired, he’s said he’s agreeable to having his contract voided and re-written at a more reasonable number. Reports say Diaw is in terrible shape, so this is a factor to consider, as well.

    Don’t be surprised one bit if Calderon says “Adios” to the ACC on Monday or shortly thereafter. Regardless of whether my speculation holds true, some sort of significant transaction by BC seems imminent.
    Jose Going Going Gone?


    Personally I don't know what the Bobcats would do with four point guards

    Calderon
    Augustine
    Livingston
    Banks

    Then again if the Raptors could manage to land Augustine

    Calderon
    Evans

    Total $14.1 million

    for

    Dampier $13 million non-guaranteed
    Augustine - Team option in 11-12 and QO in 12-13

    Total $15.5

    I would go for that trade
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 10th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So, because Jarrett Jack, who isn't involved in the decision making process, said it SEEMED LIKELY that the Raptors would make another move, this writer, without any sources whatsoever, speculated that it's a deal involving Calderon going to Charlotte.

    I've obviously got no problem with people writing blogs, but Buddahfan, why on earth would you reprint it here as if it's somehow some sort of scoop?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So, because Jarrett Jack, who isn't involved in the decision making process, said it SEEMED LIKELY that the Raptors would make another move, this writer, without any sources whatsoever, speculated that it's a deal involving Calderon going to Charlotte.

    I've obviously got no problem with people writing blogs, but Buddahfan, why on earth would you reprint it here as if it's somehow some sort of scoop?
    Good question:

    It is a slow day on the forum and I did not want to start another Bargnani or Johnson thread.

    Have plenty to discuss tomorrow regarding Lithuania vs Team USA. but today is a bit slow.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What are the details on Diaws contract? I'd pull it off if he's under 3 years. Or if he's traded right away.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Damp is kind of old and we need an actual Center not tax relief from that position. If we accept Jack as our starting pg they do have some fairly strong guys who would make great backups... Only thing is I can't imagine them moving Jose for anything less than a potential starter, and more importantly, I would be stunned if BC trusts MJ right now.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is my guess...
    Calderon to Charlotte
    Dampier to Toronto
    Toronto's TPE to Charlotte
    Diaw to Team X
    Team X Player(s) Y to Toronto

    I think it would have to be a three-team deal because... if Jose is going to Charlotte, Diaw is leaving, and I don't think BC wants him any more than Jose anyway. Tyson Chandler was the reason the other deal almost went through.

    Any suggestions on who Team X Player(s) Y could be?

    BTW, the reason Monday is the magic day... it's when Dampier's trade restrictions go away. Right now he can't be traded with other players, only on his own.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Fri Sep 10th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No kidding. There's a whole lotta speculation here but thanks for giving me something to read while im supposed to be working.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    89
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The question I have is why would we trade for Diaw! there isn't enough play time for him under current roster. Personally, I dont think Dampier is an upgrade over what we have as potential centre players AB/ Amir/ Dorsey/ Evans Alabi and ED. Jose is a much more productive player at his position so on its own that is a lopsided traded in favour of Charlotte (unless we will take his contract to waive him latter on).

    I've seen Diaw in the back to back that France played against Canada at the ACC a few weeks ago. He looked fat (by NBA standards) and did not impact the game? Why would we give up our expirings to take him on especially if he is going to take away mins from our young forwards. We would be doing Charlotte a great dead and this should come at a premium. These expirings will get us more at the trade deadline when a lot of teams will try to get out of some contracts or make room for next summer.

    I'm for Jose Dampier trde (tete a tete if Damp is to be waived) that will take Joses salasry off our books and give us a lot of financial felxibility. But Diaw for expirings (Evans and Marcus) is not enough we have to get something more for taking on his salary.

  9. #9
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like the trade. It gives the Raptors a guy who can guard three positions and handle the ball at times in a point forward role. Diaw would be eager to perform the role that made Turkoglu resent the Raptors. I don't really view Dampier as a "cap dump" because the Raptors really are swaping two expiring contract themselves in the process. I think this deal would really help things in Toronto. It would make room for Weems (GF) and Barbosa (G). Weems could come off the bench to spell DeRozan, Barbosa could play the point while sharing playmaking duties with two good ball handlers in Weems and Diaw. This makes a lot of sense and further gravitates the team towards what Colangelo sought to do when first entering Toronto. Meanwhile the Raptors get a true center who can play solid minutes in a backup role. A bench lineup of Barbosa, Weems, Kleiza, Davis and Dampier is mighty, mighty good. This isn't on par with the rumored Raptors/Bobcats trade of the summer but its not that far off. Meanwhile, the Raptors retain their player exception to potentially use at the deadline when struggling teams are looking to sell.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brantford
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wont believe any trades until they actually happen.

  12. #12
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote aintno4s wrote: View Post
    doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.
    I can think of a number of occasions where Doug Smith has said something wasn't going to happen and it did happen.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote aintno4s wrote: View Post
    doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.
    I don't think that the Raptors would do anything while Triano was in Turkey with Team USA.

    No doubt that he would be be involved in all trade decisions.

    Yes he could be consulted by phone, but then maybe the Raptors want to see what Kleiza will do in the second game that Lithuania plays vs team USA before deciding on whether they want Diaw.

    I used to be high on Diaw but now I would just as soon play Kleiza and try and get Augustine to back up Jack if Calderon is going to be traded.

    Is there any truth to the Raptors still exploring moving Calderon?

    It would seem reasonable that BC will continue to look for an opportunity or two to improve the Raptors before the pre-season starts and even up to the beginning of the season. Though I wouldn't want to wager on whether anything might happen with the Bobcats over the next 6 weeks or so.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Good question:

    It is a slow day on the forum and I did not want to start another Bargnani or Johnson thread.

    Have plenty to discuss tomorrow regarding Lithuania vs Team USA. but today is a bit slow.
    Eh. Fair enough.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie Afro_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brantford
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    unless augstine is involved, BC should just lead jordan on, and then take the deal away at the last minute. diaw is not needed now that klieza is impressing, as well as he looks out of shape, plus we have the ygnz.

    agustine & the ygnz, thats a fast break team and a half!
    Last edited by Afro_Daddy; Fri Sep 10th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thomas1 wrote: View Post
    The question I have is why would we trade for Diaw! there isn't enough play time for him under current roster. Personally, I dont think Dampier is an upgrade over what we have as potential centre players AB/ Amir/ Dorsey/ Evans Alabi and ED. Jose is a much more productive player at his position so on its own that is a lopsided traded in favour of Charlotte (unless we will take his contract to waive him latter on).

    I've seen Diaw in the back to back that France played against Canada at the ACC a few weeks ago. He looked fat (by NBA standards) and did not impact the game? Why would we give up our expirings to take him on especially if he is going to take away mins from our young forwards. We would be doing Charlotte a great dead and this should come at a premium. These expirings will get us more at the trade deadline when a lot of teams will try to get out of some contracts or make room for next summer.

    I'm for Jose Dampier trde (tete a tete if Damp is to be waived) that will take Joses salasry off our books and give us a lot of financial felxibility. But Diaw for expirings (Evans and Marcus) is not enough we have to get something more for taking on his salary.
    +1. It will be better to keep the expiring contracts until the trade deadline when some teams out of the playoffs are willing to sell all-stars for financial flexibilty(Moreover, it seems that Diaw has fitness issues - not a good look). I fully support the Jose-Dampier trade, we can toss in the part of the Bosh TPE(approx. $4m) to complete the deal. We could use the remaining $10.5m from the Bosh TPE to get a Pryzbilla or Sam Dalembert(Sacramento Kings have two centers in Demarcus Cousins and Hassan Whiteside) as our future starting center or an Igoudala if the experiment with the Philadelphia Sixers having 3 ball handlers in Andre Igoudala, Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday falters taking them out of the playoffs picture(which could be likely just saying)..

  17. #17
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I want nothing to do with Diaw, if I'm BC. However, a Calderon & Evans for Dampier trade does sound good. I could see a 3-team deal working out too, giving the cap relief of Dampier to the third team.

    An example:
    To Charlotte - Calderon & Evans
    To Sacramento - Dampier
    To Toronto - Dalembert

    Calderon does have value, but it seems to me like BC has made up his mind that he is the PG that goes, while Jack & Barbosa are staying.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Damp is kind of old and we need an actual Center not tax relief from that position. If we accept Jack as our starting pg they do have some fairly strong guys who would make great backups... Only thing is I can't imagine them moving Jose for anything less than a potential starter, and more importantly, I would be stunned if BC trusts MJ right now.
    The financial flexibilty in actually waiving him to sign with any other team is huge especailly for BC's "Santa Claus"-like contract to Jose Calderon. If I were BC, I acquire Dampier and immediately waive him and not resign him - that is a ridiculous $13m off our cap space and overall savings of approx. $20m over 3 years(Jose's contract remaining is approx. $33m) making this a no-brainer. The use of the cap space is to follow the OKC model to absorb huge contracts of serviceable players for draft picks which we can combine and offer to another team to get 2 earlier picks or a much earlier pick which will be useful for the #30 draft position-like of the Miami #1 pick given to the Raptors(goal is to get to #20 or two draft picks from #22-27)..

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie Afro_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brantford
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if this is true, i cant imagine the BCs face when he see's MJ on is caller display

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Afro_Daddy wrote: View Post
    unless augstine is involved, BC should just lead jordan on, and then take the deal away at the last minute. diaw is not needed now that klieza is impressing, as well as he looks out of shape, plus we have the ygnz.

    agustine & the ygnz, thats a fast break team and a half!

    i'd only take back damp if we could ad anderson in the trade since it would create a log jam at C: bargs(i konw PF) anderson, damp and alibi. anderson can be traded even though we just got him right? i member Q rich being traded like 3 or 4 times one summer
    Dampiers $13 million contract for 10-11 is not guaranteed. He could be acquired and let go creating cap space plus the huge unused TPE from the Bosh trade.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •