Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon To Bobcats Rumors Heat Up Again? - Will Jose Calderon be a Bobcat Monday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Stein of ESPN tweeted about an hour ago

Indy DID show interest in Calderon in AUG but traded for speedier/far cheaper Collison. Signs keep pointing to Jose starting season w/TOR about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter
    http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
      If we are re-visiting this trade scenario, why don't we re-visit the fact that MJ pull out of the deal. The original proposal has Jose + fillers going to Bobcats for Tyson Chandler + Diaw, they didn't end up doing it but now they are coming back with Diaw + Damp (who they traded for chandler) ?
      I think we all wanted chandler better than damp, since Damp's just an expiring contract while chandler's reppin team USA. C'mon MJ stop screwing with Canadian fans
      Is he trying to get back at us for that humiliating game in '96?

Comment

I know where this rumor started... Did anyone read my post in trade forums on September 8th?

Comment

unlikely but interesting
          ya dun noe

Comment

aintno4s wrote: View Post
            doug smith said today he talked to management and there is nothing happening. either they arent saying anything since the failed trades or this is bunk. I'm thinking bunk.
            Marc Stein is reporting NO - but that might just be because DAMP is not available to be traded until Monday and they dont want a leak again. Fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me.
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Marc Stein Shuts Down Rumours Of Calderon To Charlotte...?

RT @EricPincus: @STEIN_LINE_HQ Can't see the Bobcats taking big $ back for Dampier - Charlotte isn't going to be a taxpayer (CAN'T ARGUE)
              about 9 hours ago via ÜberTwitter .

Indy DID show interest in Calderon in AUG but traded for speedier/far cheaper Collison. Signs keep pointing to Jose starting season w/TOR

Dampier does becomes eligible Monday to be packaged w/other Bobcats in trades. But I've been firmly told CHA and TOR not discussing Calderon

Getting tweets asking if there's any substance to internet rumbles about a Calderon-to-CHA deal involving Dampier's contract. In a word? NO
              about 9 hours ago via ÜberTwitter
              This shows that so far they are nothing more than some blogger just trying to stir the pot and get some reads.

http://twitter.com/stein_line_hq
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I think the Raps would be a bit crazy to go thin at PG, so if there's any life remaining in a CHA deal, then Augustine would be necessary and sufficiently decent, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jose bounce back and have a solid year wherever he plays. I think last year was a bit unique for the guy but time will tell I guess.
                "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
                ~Rorschach

Comment

Rap Challenger wrote: View Post
                  I think the Raps would be a bit crazy to go thin at PG, so if there's any life remaining in a CHA deal, then Augustine would be necessary and sufficiently decent, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jose bounce back and have a solid year wherever he plays. I think last year was a bit unique for the guy but time will tell I guess.
                  Calderon will benefit a lot form Turk's departure.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Calderon will benefit a lot form Turk's departure.
                    The Raptors will benefit a lot more from Calderon's contract departure. If Calderon was making $4-5M like JJ, this would not be a big deal but he makes $9, $9.7, and $10.5M over the next 3 years. That is too much cap space for a team rebuliding and for a PG that due to his body can only play 25-30 minutes a game.

As for the Raps being thin, if they did the three way deal with Indiana and Charlotte:

CHA gets Calderon, Dunleavy, Dorsey
                    IND gets Diaw, Banks, Evans
                    TOR gets Dampier, Ford, Augustine

Then the Raps have Jack, Augustine, Ford at PG with Barbosa able to play a few minutes a game if needed. Not many teams have 3 PG's that are capable of playing significant minutes at the point. The only problem is none of these guys are true starters.

IND gets rid of a headache and gets a back up PG which they need and front court depth which they need.

CHA gets a PG who can split with minutes with Livingston - neither of who can arguably hold up physically to the minutes required to be a starting PG in the NBA - and a SF for depth b/c after Wallace, they have nothing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Then the Raps have Jack, Augustine, Ford at PG with Barbosa able to play a few minutes a game if needed. Not many teams have 3 PG's that are capable of playing significant minutes at the point. The only problem is none of these guys are true starters.
                      Been there, done that. No way I'm taking Ford back. No way.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        Been there, done that. No way I'm taking Ford back. No way.
                        I would tend to agree. However, when you consider he is an $8.5M expiring contract he adds some trade value come February and if worse comes to worse and he gets on with his B.S. about playing time, then they can just buy him out as he will not be the key to the Raptors success. The thing to remember, and I wonder if Ford does, is this could be his last contract in the NBA given the difficulty the Pacers are having trading him. And while he is not a top tier PG, he isn't dogsh*t either. With him, his problem is playing within a team and attitude. He may have something to prove.

The benefits of the trade far outweigh the downside, in my opinion.

Comment

I would tend to agree. However, when you consider he is an $8.5M expiring contract he adds some trade value come February and if worse comes to worse and he gets on with his B.S. about playing time, then they can just buy him out as he will not be the key to the Raptors success. The thing to remember, and I wonder if Ford does, is this could be his last contract in the NBA given the difficulty the Pacers are having trading him. And while he is not a top tier PG, he isn't dogsh*t either. With him, his problem is playing within a team and attitude. He may have something to prove.

The benefits of the trade far outweigh the downside, in my opinion.
                          His attitude. He just ruins a team. Kinda like Monta Ellis, but can't score or do anything much actually. He's "ok" but he would just destroy us. 8M expiring or not, I just don't feel comfortable with him joining us again. His first stint wasn't so pleasant But anyways I don't see this trade working... Oh, and he already said he wouldn't accept a buy-out, Indiana already tried, and his trade value is as high as Rodney Carney's. Maybe worse.

Comment

His attitude. He just ruins a team. Kinda like Monta Ellis, but can't score or do anything much actually. He's "ok" but he would just destroy us. 8M expiring or not, I just don't feel comfortable with him joining us again. His first stint wasn't so pleasant But anyways I don't see this trade working... Oh, and he already said he wouldn't accept a buy-out, Indiana already tried, and his trade value is as high as Rodney Carney's. Maybe worse.
                            All very true points you raise. But I still think the pro's outweigh the cons. The only way the cancer ruins the team is if others buy in to it or listen to it. With the young guys the Raptors have, I'm not too sure they'll give TJ too much time of day.

He did say he would not accept the buyout, but my understanding was the buyout was for only $5M so he was leaving $3.5M on the table - I wouldn't accept that either especially knowing I would not be able to sign somewhere else for at least $3.5.

Comment

All very true points you raise. But I still think the pro's outweigh the cons. The only way the cancer ruins the team is if others buy in to it or listen to it. With the young guys the Raptors have, I'm not too sure they'll give TJ too much time of day.

He did say he would not accept the buyout, but my understanding was the buyout was for only $5M so he was leaving $3.5M on the table - I wouldn't accept that either especially knowing I would not be able to sign somewhere else for at least $3.5.
                              You know what would work... if we do the trade. Then just waive him, yes we'll be paying his full 8.5 million, but it will only be for this year, and we won't have to deal with him! Then we can waive Dampier, and for next year we'd have almost 20M off the books!

Comment

You know what would work... if we do the trade. Then just waive him, yes we'll be paying his full 8.5 million, but it will only be for this year, and we won't have to deal with him! Then we can waive Dampier, and for next year we'd have almost 20M off the books!
                                Exactly - I never thought of the waiver but the end result is the same - especially for next year. I had my head stuck on buyout. Either way, if the guy does not tow the party line, he is gone.

Even with the argument of we'd be thin at PG, we'd still have Jack, Augustine, Barbosa could play limited minutes, and they could sign a third string for a minimum contract for this year only (Bobby Brown?).

Comment

Working...
                                X