Thread: Dampier Released - Should The Raptors Dump Someone To Sign Him?

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dampier Released - Should The Raptors Dump Someone To Sign Him?

# More Higgins: “Out of respect to (Dampier), we have decided to release him ... so he may pursue opportunities ... prior to training camp.” 15 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Bobs GM Rod Higgins: “We explored several trade possibilities involving Erick, but ultimately have been unable to find a viable option ..." 17 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

Bobcats -- wow -- just announced release of Erick Dampier. Which means Damp will get to pick his next destination after clearing waivers
    http://http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

The Raptors are currently at the maximum of 15 players counting including Weems and Dorsey both of whom right now have non-guaranteed contracts.

So it seems to me that if the Raptors are going to want to sign Dampier that they are going to have to get rid of one of the following four players to do it.

1. Buy out Evans or Banks

or

2. Release Weems or Dorsey

Should they let one of those plaeys go and sign Dampier?
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 14th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't aware that we were in "Win Now" mode...

But in all seriousness - I understand you're simply posing a question but the answer is absolutely never in hell should we acquire any short-term talent. Hell we should be seriously considering moving anyone that won't be useful in 2-3 years from now when we'd be aiming at making a push for becoming a contender. Any short term solutions before that are simply reducing our chances of getting our young'ns experience and unnecessarily raising our draft pick number. (and getting in the way of a proper rebuild a la Portland, OKC, New Jersey, etc)
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Edgar wrote: View Post

But in all seriousness - I understand you're simply posing a question but the answer is absolutely never in hell should we acquire any short-term talent. Hell we should be seriously considering moving anyone that won't be useful in 2-3 years from now when we'd be aiming at making a push for becoming a contender. Any short term solutions before that are simply reducing our chances of getting our young'ns experience and unnecessarily raising our draft pick number. (and getting in the way of a proper rebuild a la Portland, OKC, New Jersey, etc)
    I could not have said it any better.

Also, the Raps can only offer the vet minimum as they are over the 'soft' salary cap. If you were Erick Dampier - would you accept 1.3M to play for Toronto or Miami?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Edgar wrote: View Post

Do you think that some of the posters here wanted to acquire Dampier only for his money? I.e. expiring contract.

Ouch that hurts
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dampier is headed str8 to Miami, truss......

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting a trade was not done with Dampier. Even if it was not with the Raptors, I thought something would get done.

The other thing to keep in mind now is, barring a trade, the Bobcats only have $2.2M and veteran's minimum contracts to offer. If you check out the ESPN depth chart http://espn.go.com/nba/teams/depth?team=cha you'll see they have Najera playing the 3, he is not a three and McGuire is hardly a first option off the bench. Also Henderson hardly impressed his rookie year (albeit Brown is hardly kind to rookies) so they are shallow at SG with only him and Carroll after Jackson. I would like to see Livingston play well because after his injuries and his fight back, he deserves it, but in reality neither he nor Augustine are starting PG material right now.

After the contract given to Thomas, I doubt they will have him sitting on the bench. It would seem to me Diaw is most likely to be moved.

At least the Dampier waiver and possible trade can be put to rest now.

I don't think (and I certainly hope not!) the Raptors are going to open the season with the current roster. The next few weeks will hopefully produce a surprise or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Three words: NO DIAW PLEASE!

Post Thanks / Like

The better question is, why would Dampier want to join the Raptors at this stage of his career?

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can we not get players that were once owned by Shaq which he later named after a tranny or a woman?! We don't need Erika at the age of 35 who wants more money then he is worth.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell No...

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to overvalue Weems, but are you kidding about releasing 24 year old Weems, who is an absolute bargain and has great tools, athletic ability and the desire to improve himself, for a 35 year old center who would do absolutely nothing for the long term potential of a team that is focused on rebuilding?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

He already said he wanted to go to Miami and try and win a championship, he's 34. He won't want to go to a rebuilding team that won't even give him minutes.

Raptors Republic Rookie pistol pete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

is there one single reason for signing that 35 years old center?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Simply no

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors in the running according to SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    Raptors in the running according to SI

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
    Thu Sep 16 02:41am PDT
    Rockets offer Dampier two years

By Mark J. Miller

Erick DampierThe Charlotte Bobcats waived center Erick Dampier(notes) the other day and he already has an offer from the Houston Rockets for two years and $4 million, according to a source of the Houston Chronicle
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/p...urn=nba-270104

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Miami is going to offer Dampier a chance to go down in NBA history while starting alongside Bosh, LBJ, Wade- immediate NBA title contention plus Miami weather. Miami will be better able to match up against the bigger front lines of preseason NBA title contenders like Boston (SO'Neal, JO'Neal, Perkins, Davis, Garnett, Erden), Orlando (Howard, Gorat, Bass, Ortin) & the Lakers (Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Caracter, Ratliff) if they are able to sign Dampier. I sure, hopefully, Dampier isn't hurting for money as he's made a tens of millions over his career and will take advantage of the opportunities Miami offers him as a player.

Miami could have a very veteran laden roster especially if Stackhouse gets on as he has been politicking for:

*C: Dampier/Anthony/Magloire/Ilgauskus
    PF: Bosh/Halsem/Howard
    PF: James/Jones/Stackhouse or Butler
    SG: Wade/Miller
    PG: Chalmers/Arroyo/House

With this projected Heat roster Bosh won't have to play ANY center minutes and the Heat depth will save his knees, body over 82 games and the playoffs. The Heat will most likely be deeper (roster depth) than Atlantis is a few days......
    Last edited by SirChillyMost; Thu Sep 16th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information