Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we now the Blue Jays?

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are we now the Blue Jays?

Big 3 in Miami. Big 3 (insert point guard here) in NYC. What does the future hold for our hapless raptors? Can you ever see us putting a team together than can rival those over the next 7 years? How does this affect you being a fan realizing we will now be chasing down the Yankees and red sox of basketball for the foreseeable future? And please, don't bring up the devil rays

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

This comparison doesn't work. NYY and Sox are division rivals. The Heat aren't. The road to the play-offs in baseball is much tougher than it is in the NBA. Furthermore, the Yanks and Sox are/were powerhouse teams from top to bottom. Neither the Knicks nor the Heat are of the same caliber. In fact, I don't see the Knicks ever being on the elite level, they'll more than likely be perennial pretenders like the Suns of previous years were.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the Raptors, the Jays are mostly young, most specifically their rotation. However I believe the future of the Blue Jays is a better one than the Raptors. At 85-77 the Jays believe it or not had one of the better records in the league. They showed that we weren't pushovers and that we're a team to watch. I don't think this is the year we make the playoffs again but we did down the Yanks and Rays quite a few times. This team is only going to get better

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean to turn this into a baseball thing but whatever

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No the Jays at least won 2 world championships......

We are more like the Seattle Mariners.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Replace the Heat with Celtics, then yes we are the Blue Jays. Better than being the Orioles(Nets) though.
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Post Thanks / Like

Dwayne Wade turns 30 next season, not that that is real old, but he has had lots of little injuries over his career and needs his athleticism to dominate. Can he reinvent himself to prolong his effectiveness, or will he fade quickly? If they find a steal or two in the draft like San Antonio does they will be good for a long time, if not only time will tell.

The NYK's will need to find depth and some size, but it D-Will or Chris Paul sign there after next year they are going to be a tough out for anyone.

Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If, a BIG IF..Chris Paul or D-Will does join the New York Knicks. But I can almost guarantee NYK will never win a championship, unless they somehow can play defense in the 4th quarter.

I don't know right now if the Blue Jays can ever top the Yankees, but hope generated from last year came from one big thing that got them across the season with 80-ish wins was the DEFENSE and PITCHING staff. Surprise explosions of talent and consistency from Romero, Morrow, Marcum (now will be replaced by Drabek), and Cecil. What cost them 7-10 more wins is Brian Tallet, and an injured/still-chubby-at-the-time Listch.

If Boston still has Rondo, Perk, and the OLD-3 playing for the next 3 years, New York will not win the championship in those three years, unless the Knicks get more Landry Fields-like role players in the draft the fill their dire needs.

Raptors need to make sure that every 1st round pick they make, must make as much as an impact as DeRozen, Ed, and I may have to regrettably say, Bargs as well. They HAVE to capitalize on 2nd round picks too so they can save cash short term and be a team rally story to follow. So B-Co can't just waste a 2nd round picks on a Blorgen-Schplorgen Shappoopi from Scandanavia.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he basically just meant we're in a division now with some EPIC talent, and it will tough for us to to really make a dent and compete against these huge monsters. ala Jays. Fair argument. It's going to be tough. But now we'll seeing ALOT of good teams around these parts for a few years.

Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I think he basically just meant we're in a division now with some EPIC talent, and it will tough for us to to really make a dent and compete against these huge monsters. ala Jays. Fair argument. It's going to be tough. But now we'll seeing ALOT of good teams around these parts for a few years.
    EPIC talent indeed.

But Boston still is the team that knows how to play the game properly in all levels, since the 2007 summer trade.

YOU KNOW WHAT? I just came across this fact:

I don't think the Raptors still have beaten a team with Amare Stoudmire since 2003.
    Last edited by tonious35; Tue Feb 22nd, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That sums it up well.

Raptors Republic Rookie SaskatchewanSun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We would be lucky to be the Blue Jays right now

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Jays comparison is a fair one. The Raps are far below where the Jays are teamwise. The Jays have far more promise and there time will be in a couple of seasons. The prospects are there for the Jays. Is the compaison in regards to the division?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Is the compaison in regards to the division?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    Still a bad comparison. No team in our division has unlimited funds (like the Yankees and Red Sox do in MLB) to bring whomever they want into their fold.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No, no, no

The Raptors are not the "Blue Jays".

A.) They don't play in a system where unless you win a division you need to win a wild card to make the playoffs.
    -The Raptors only need play .500 to make the playoffs. There are four seeds in the East open to non-divisional winners.

B.) They don't play in a system where teams can spend whatever they want virtually without limitation.
    - They've made the playoffs spending up to the luxury tax threshold.
    - The NBA owners want a hard cap.

Post Thanks / Like

The BlueJays have a bright future, their GM is a very patient and intelligent man with excellent talent-evaluation skills. He's not rushing things and is focused on building the pitching staff and infield. It's the equivalent of an NBA GM shoring up your defense because, you know, defense is what matters.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy the division argument if the playoff structure had a limit on the number of teams from a division that qualify. They don't, so I don't see it. The Raptors aren't going to win the Atlantic anytime soon, don't even forget NJ which WILL throw money around and get SOMEBODY in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are not the "Blue Jays".

A.) The don't play in a system where unless you win a division you need to win a wild card.
    -The Raptors only need play .500 to make the playoffs.

B.) They don't play in a system where teams can spend whatever they want virtually without limitation.
    - They've made the playoffs spending up to the luxury tax threshold.
    - The NBA owners want a hard cap.
    Agree with all of this. Great points.
    But if we avoid comparing the sports, and just the situation that the teams are in, I'm pretty sure Jclaw was only looking to say we are now in probably one of the toughest divisions in basketball. And like the Jays, play the majority of our games against these very good teams.

So no it doesn't come down to a Wildcard spot, or cap abilities, or anything like that; it still does impact the Raptors as we play more games against our division then anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Only temporarily though. The Nets and 76ers don't have anymore upside than the Raptors right now in my opinion. The Knicks have the potential to be good but with Dolan stepping in while having Zeke in his ear I'm not 100% sold on them. Then you have the Celtics who are very old outside of Rondo and Perkins. Perkins might not even be back. I think the expiration date on the Celtics is fastly approaching. I don't know, I don't see the situation as bad. By the time the Raptors are truely ready to compete things will look a lot different in the Atlantic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information