Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ed Davis Has Meniscal Injury

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed Davis Has Meniscal Injury

Eric Smith Eric__Smith

Raps rookie Ed Davis suffered a meniscal injury (right knee) on Wednesday playing ball. He & the Raps are now evaluating treatment options
    http://twitter.com/Eric__Smith

This is the type of injury that Bynum had

Updated: May 1, 2010, 8:07 PM ET
    Bynum day to day with meniscus tear

By Dave McMenamin
    ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. --The center of attention for the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz second-round series beginning on Sunday at Staples Center has shifted to the injuries to both teams' starting centers.
    http://sports.espn.go.com
    /los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5154643

Of course we don't know if Ed suffered a tear or not or if he did how bad it is.

If it is a bad tear he could require surgery and a decently long rehab period.

A lot of people said that Davis reminds them of Bosh.

Maybe this will become true in ways that those never thought.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    http://twitter.com/Eric__Smith

This is the type of injury that Bynum had

http://sports.espn.go.com
    /los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5154643

Of course we don't know if Ed suffered a tear or not or if he did how bad it is.

If it is a bad tear he could require surgery and a decently long rehab period.

A lot of people said that Davis reminds them of Bosh.

Maybe this will become true in ways that those never thought.
    F*ck.

Post Thanks / Like

2011 Top five draft pick here we come

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 3 pick here we come!!!! this may not be that bad... looking on the bright side of this... lets say Davis is out half a season and is worked in slowly near the end and he gets a little NBA experience then we draft another great PG in 2011 draft. We could have some very solid players in the 2011 and 2012 season.im not saying im happy about this at all im just trying to be optomistic. Hopefully its a minor injury though.. *Fingers crossed*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Priest wrote: View Post
    2011 Top five draft pick here we come
    You read my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't know how bad it is.

It could be minor and he might be ready for the first pre-season game in three weeks.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_of_meniscus

Yeah not good, but the optimist in me says "Atleast we don't have to worry about our record this year; He can get all the rest he wants..."

It's not the worst knee injury in the world but hopefully he takes as much time as necessary to come back in full form - no point risking re-injury on a 25 win season...
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who don't really know what this injury is- like myself, here is a medical breakdown that I found:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=14859
    Meniscus injury: Injuries to the crescent-shaped cartilage pads between the two joints formed by the femur (the thigh bone) and the tibia (the shin bone). The meniscus acts as a smooth surface for the joint to move on.

The two menisci are easily injured by the force of rotating the knee while bearing weight. A partial or total tear of a meniscus may occur when a person quickly twists or rotates the upper leg while the foot stays still (for example, when dribbling a basketball around an opponent or turning to hit a tennis ball). If the tear is tiny, the meniscus stays connected to the front and back of the knee; if the tear is large, the meniscus may be left hanging by a thread of cartilage. The seriousness of a tear depends on its location and extent.

Generally, when people injure a meniscus, they feel some pain, particularly when the knee is straightened. The pain may be mild, and the person may continue activity. Severe pain may occur if a fragment of the meniscus catches between the femur and tibia. Swelling may occur soon after injury if blood vessels are disrupted, or swelling may occur several hours later if the joint fills with fluid produced by the joint lining (synovium) as a result of inflammation. If the synovium is injured, it may become inflamed and produce fluid to protect itself. This causes swelling of the knee. Sometimes, an injury that occurred in the past but was not treated becomes painful months or years later, particularly if the knee is injured a second time. After any injury the knee may click, lock, or feel weak. Symptoms of meniscal injury may disappear on their own but frequently, symptoms persist or return and require treatment.

In addition to listening to the patient's description of the onset of pain and swelling, the physician may perform a physical examination and take x rays of the knee. The examination may include a test in which the doctor flexes (bends) the leg then rotates the leg outward and inward while extending it. Pain or an audible click suggests a meniscal tear. An MRI test may be recommended to confirm the diagnosis. Occasionally, the doctor may use arthroscopy to help diagnose and treat a meniscal tear.

**If the tear is minor and the pain and other symptoms go away, the doctor may recommend a muscle-strengthening program. Exercises for meniscal problems are best performed with initial guidance from a doctor and physical therapist or exercise therapist. The therapist will make sure that the patient does the exercises properly and without risk of new or repeat injury. The following exercises after injury to the meniscus are designed to build up the quadriceps and hamstring muscles and increase flexibility and strength:

•Warming up the joint by riding a stationary bicycle, then straightening and raising the leg (but avoiding straightening the leg too much).
    •Extending the leg while sitting (a weight may be worn on the ankle for this exercise).
    •Raising the leg while lying on the stomach.
    •Exercising in a pool, including walking as fast as possible in chest-deep water, performing small flutter kicks while holding onto the side of the pool, and raising each leg to 90 degrees in chest-deep water while pressing the back against the side of the pool.

**If the tear to a meniscus is more extensive, the doctor may perform either arthroscopic surgery or open surgery" to see the extent of injury and to repair the tear. The doctor can suture (sew) the meniscus back in place if the patient is relatively young, the injury is in an area with a good blood supply, and the ligaments are intact. Most young athletes are able to return to vigorous sports with meniscus-preserving repair.

If the patient is elderly or the tear is in an area with a poor blood supply, the doctor may cut off a small portion of the meniscus to even the surface. In some cases, the doctor removes the entire meniscus. However, degenerative changes, such as osteoarthritis, are more likely to develop in the knee if the meniscus is removed. Medical researchers are currently investigating a procedure called an allograft, in which the surgeon replaces the meniscus with one from a cadaver. A grafted meniscus is fragile and may shrink and tear easily. Researchers have also attempted to replace a meniscus with an artificial one, but the procedure is even less successful than an allograft.

Recovery after surgery to repair a meniscus takes several weeks longer and post-operative activity is slightly more restricted than when the meniscus is removed. Nevertheless, putting weight on the joint actually fosters recovery. Regardless of the form of surgery, rehabilitation usually includes walking, bending the legs, and doing exercises that stretch and build up the leg muscles. The best results of treatment for meniscal injury are obtained in people who do not show articular cartilage changes and who have an intact anterior cruciate ligament. [b]END[/]

Hopefully it's a minor tear (if it's torn at all) and not a major tear. Nonetheless BC has assembled a roster full of PFs (Bargnani, Evans, Andersen, Dorsey, Kleiza) for Jay to choose from if Davis is on the shelf for an extended period of time. Looks like the Rap's may need another big man for a camp body ala the DuPree signing.

Get well soon- Ed "Bad Luck" Davis!!!!
    Last edited by SirChillyMost; Fri Sep 17th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

if its torn miniscis (minor) i doubt he will be back in 3 weeks. my GF just suffered this injury for the second time and she has very limited movement in her leg but can walk. the doc's told her that after she gets surgery it should be better too walk in a month and then physio starts. my prediction: Ed will not be in pre-season.
    Last edited by pesterm1; Fri Sep 17th, 2010 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any predictions on the new line-ups with Davis out?

i think kleiza will see more PF minutes and Sonny just got his mins boosted for sure.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meniscal injury could mean anything. Was it a tear, a rupture what? I've had a meniscus tear and while it didn't require surgery (it had healed by the time I got the MRI), I did have rehab for about 3 or 4 months. I'm guessing that timetable would be sped up a bit for a professional athlete, but I doubt by that much. I'm guessing he'll be back around the New Year, depending on the severity of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    if its torn miniscis (minor) i doubt he will be back in 3 weeks. my GF just suffered this injury for the second time and she has very limited movement in her leg but can walk. the doc's told her that after she gets surgery it should be better too walk in a month and then physio starts. my prediction: Ed will not be in pre-season.
    I am optimistic that it is not torn

If it is I agree with you that it will be more than three weeks.

The biggest problem would be if he missed the entire pre-season.

Rookies can not afford to do that.

It could be Reggie time

We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Any predictions on the new line-ups with Davis out?

i think kleiza will see more PF minutes and Sonny just got his mins boosted for sure.
    I don't know how many minutes Kleiza will get

Amir is going to start along with Kleiza.

Not very likely Kleiza will see 40 mpg

Most likely Reggie time.

Post Thanks / Like

Reggie or Dorsey. Wouldn't that be a great battle for the boards to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jk1m wrote: View Post
    Reggie or Dorsey. Wouldn't that be a great battle for the boards to see.
    Andersen will get some more minutes then he would with Davis in the lineup.

They may in fact go up if Davis is out, but Anderson at least has a bit of an offensive game. Plus his defense is not that bad.

Hopefully Davis will not miss any game time.

Raptors Republic Rookie pistol pete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's too injury prone, that guy.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't mind some Reggie clobbering time!

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Smith had some comments about the Davis injury.

However I don't think Amir was with them despite what Smith alleges.

Sonny13

Me, @DeMar_DeRozan, Joey and Ed Davis playing ball at the premier fitness in Missassaugga at 7
    http://twitter.com/Sonny13

If Amir was not there then Smith sticks his foot in the mouth by writing that he wanted to wait until all the facts were in before writing the article below yet I don't think he has the facts about who played there.

In fact not only did he probably falsely include Amir in with the group that played in that game but he made no reference to Dorsey playing.

Davis injury cause for concern on several levels

The whole Ed Davis saga (we caught up with it here yesterday afternoon once it became clear exactly what had happened; no sense rumour-mongering until some facts were known) is a bit of a can of worms, isn’t it?

Kid goes out to run with the masses at some gym in Mississauga, suffers a knee injury playing and now no one’s entirely sure what the course of treatment is going to be or how long he’ll have to sit before starting his first NBA training camp.

And there are those in the organization who are worried the rookie big man might have to have a scope to find out just what’s going on inside that knee and while that’s not 100 per cent certain right now, I don’t think anyone should be entirely surprised if it happens.

Anyway, I guess the whole issue is whether Davis, and guys like DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems and Amir Johnson should be out in group Runs With Randoms hither and yon in the GTA.

I guess it’s good for their profiles and to a make a “connection” with the fans but the simple fact is, they get more than enough gym time in the Air Canada Centre, where there are first-class facilities, a better, softer court and, you know, staff around if something untoward happens.

Davis had already gone through a scrimmage in the practice gym before he struck out to the wilds of Mississauga and that pickup game and I wonder if that shouldn’t have been enough work for one day.

Now I also know that injuries happen anywhere and at any time, he could just have easily tweaked his knee in the Air Canada Centre as some gym out here in the boonies and this is little more than a bad break for what seems to be a good kid.

But there need to be some questions asked.

Does the league need to re-visit it’s off-season workout rules to allow for team supervision of these pre-camp runs?

Does the team need to make it clear that scrimmages need to take place in the team facility rather than some random gym? Is one run a day enough?

There are no easy answers; it’s just too bad the young fella had to get hurt.
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Doug Smith had some comments about the Davis injury.

However I don't think Amir was with them despite what Smith alleges.

http://twitter.com/Sonny13

If Amir was not there then Smith sticks his foot in the mouth by writing that he wanted to wait until all the facts were in before writing the article below yet I don't think he has the facts about who played there.

In fact not only did he probably falsely include Amir in with the group that played in that game but he made no reference to Dorsey playing.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/
    Under these circumstances, the org. should sign off on the location and have a trainer attend just in case. It's strange but I havent seen an eyewitness account of how the injury actually occurred....and there must have been many there. C'mon Buddahman use your sources. Surely yours are better than Smith's who is probably clamming up on Raptors orders.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Smith needs to stfu, immediately, as he seems to lack the basic insight of an NBA player's off season work out regime not to mention the "love of the game" clause that is written into most NBA player contracts ala Jordan that allows them to play basketball whenever and whenever they would like to play basketball ie Rucker Park. Who in their right mind would suggest that a healthy NBA player not work out as much as possible in the off season in order to get better?

Doug Smith's drama class 101 is now in session ie was Amir aka Big A really in the building????

As well, most NBA player's work out twice a day (2-3 hours each time) in the off season unsupervised by said team and have been since Dennis Johnson was a Sonic, plus play in open run scrimmages afterwards at various courts. The real question is does Doug Smith need to raise his basketball IQ? Yes. Or he's treating Raptor fans & followers who read that above posted article as basic fools in relation to Davis' related injury particulars ie open runs. Davis isn't the 1st Lottery pick to get injured before his rookie year began and won't be the last.

I went through the Big Country era here in Vancouver and I would rather have a workaholic aka gym rat player than someone you have to carefully monitor to see if they have gotten up off of their couch or out of their fishing boat in the summer time and onto a basketball court in order to work out.

Btw- Golden State's Lottery PF- Ekpe Udoh, is also injured (wrist) and may miss up to half of the NBA season plus he didn't get to run in Vegas unlike Davis. Also, Piston's Lottery PF Greg Monroe had toe surgery this summer but should be ready for training camp according to reports. Since we don't have an official Raptor report on the true extent of Davis' injury or an estimation on his timeline of his potential rehab process folks can't make a full analysis of his situation in relation Udoh & Monroe.

Like Doug said- injuries can happen anywhere & at anytime: he should have stopped his article right there.
    Last edited by SirChillyMost; Sat Sep 18th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information