Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New Orleans and Toronto Trade That Makes Sense

I'm new to the forum but have been reading the posts for a long time
    We just made a trade with New Orleans Marco for Wright, we could make another one

Toronto Trades: J Calderon, M Banks, R Evans total 19 million
    New Orleans Trades: P Stojakovic, 15 million salary plus small trade exemption ( The Hilton Armstrong trade exemption 2.8 million will work) and 2011 2nd round draft pick

Why Toronto Makes This Deal: They get rid of the extra years of calderon's contract, the trade exemption gives the raptors more cap flexibility and makes it easier to make future trades, and also have an extra 2 roster spots for a potential young future piece like PG bobby brown who played well in summer league. They also get rid of 3 players that are clearly not in the raptors future.
    They get Peja for 1 year who is an excellent 3 pt shooter. He can come off the bench and play limited minutes and his 15 million dollar contract comes off the books at the end of 2010-2011 season or they can trade him again at the trade deadline for more long term pieces.

Why New Orleans Makes This Deal: NO needs to win now and be in the playoffs to keep Chris Paul happy. When NO traded Collison they became much weaker at the backup point guard spot. M Thorton is talented and shows promise but is not reliable yet at the PG position (he plays SG most of the time), Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks are both good defensive players. They also lost their 2nd best 3 point shooter (Collison) so Jose Calderon can help to fill that role, and Calderon does a great job running the offense, with few turnovers, on the defensive side NO was in the bottom 3rd in the league in defense so I don't see it getting much worse with Calderon playing backup pg instead of starting. They also get rid of a injury prone and unreliable headache in Peja who clearly could use a change of scenery. They also have 2 contracts in Evans and Banks that are easier to play with at the trade deadline than Peja's contract. Their 3rd string PG has a partially guarenteed contract and can be waived after this trade to make room.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by rockstar rob; Tue Sep 21, 2010, 05:12 PM.

I'm in. We're going to be brutal this year anyways so why not just wipe more money off the books and enjoy a serviceable shooter in the corner in the meantime?

Comment

NO is looking hard for a back up point guard, but I don't know if they'd be interested in Calderon. Also, I'd only make this trade just to facilitate another imminent trade or at the trade deadline, in order to clear space for the off season.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

If we do this, we'll have too many forwards (Weems, Kleiza, DD and Wright all fighting for the spot Peja plays) and not enough PGs, only Jack actually.

Comment

Peja trade

Peja is 6'10 so I think he could play power forward at times if he needed to, and he could also play SG/SF. The guy can shoot 3's, but I wouldn't give him that much playing time anyways. I'd prefer to ship him out later for a C. For PG we would have Jack, Barbosa (was backup PG for many years in pheonix), and we could add Bobby Brown for minimum contract as our 3rd point guard (he as our PG in summer league and played very well). Our team would be a little weaker at PG, but if we are going young this is the way to go.

I agree we would have too many forwards but I'd rather another guy that can play 3 positions, and 2 open roster spots than 2 guards not in the long term plans and Reggie (can't shoot a jump shot if my life depended on it) Evans. I think colangelo is gonna make a move with these 3 contracts (Calderon, Evans, Banks) but he might wait until the trade deadline when Evans and Banks contracts become more valuable. If I was a GM on another team and I need a good PG I'd grab those 3 guys especially Calderon. Banks is a decent backup PG plays good defense. I don't think Calderon can play any worse than last year as long as he's healthy. The risk for the other GMs is that Calderon takes over the Raptors again, plays like he did a few years ago with a little better defense and then he won't be available later or the asking price will be much higher. It would be really nice if Calderon killed it for the raptors, played really well and shut up all of us.

And by the way, I like the Bargniani, Kleiza, De Rosan, Barbosa, Calderon attack lineup, probably not the best defensively, but offensively, they can get it done. If there are 5 seconds in the game left and we are down by 1 that's who I'd put in. Unless J Wright improves his offensive game dramatically, or DeRosan and/or Weems defense sucks, he's going to get time like Antoine Wright at the end of the year. So I'd say he's on the bubble right now. Let em fight it out in training camp. We have a deep team I think, just not the flashy star power as of yet.
          Last edited by rockstar rob; Tue Sep 21, 2010, 05:00 PM.

Comment

looks like BC reads raptors republic

looks like Brian Colangelo, reads Raptors Republic, this trade looks very similar to the 1 I proposed 2 months ago, except they get Jack instead of Calderon. Reggie Evans has been playing better so we'd rather keep him than Andersen anyways. We get a little more they get a little more good trade for both teams. I like it even better than the 1 I proposed because we get a young point guard back in Jarred Bayless. I'm seriously wondering if BC and New Orleans have been talking about this for awhile and that New Orleans got Bayless with every intention of flipping him to Toronto for Chris Paul's good buddy Jack.

Comment

rockstar rob wrote: View Post
              looks like Brian Colangelo, reads Raptors Republic, this trade looks very similar to the 1 I proposed 2 months ago, except they get Jack instead of Calderon. Reggie Evans has been playing better so we'd rather keep him than Andersen anyways. We get a little more they get a little more good trade for both teams. I like it even better than the 1 I proposed because we get a young point guard back in Jarred Bayless. I'm seriously wondering if BC and New Orleans have been talking about this for awhile and that New Orleans got Bayless with every intention of flipping him to Toronto for Chris Paul's good buddy Jack.
              How cool is that that it sorta came true haha.

I remember reading this and going "Cool idea but never gonna happen"

lol

Comment

yeah maybe somebody will notice my next trade post

that is pretty cool. Maybe next time I put a trade post, more people will pay attention. The next guy I'd go after is Josh Smith...I'll probably post a trade scenario or 2 for him in the next few days
                Rob

Comment

rockstar rob wrote: View Post
                  that is pretty cool. Maybe next time I put a trade post, more people will pay attention. The next guy I'd go after is Josh Smith...I'll probably post a trade scenario or 2 for him in the next few days
                  Rob
                  Yeah it is pretty cool when something happens or close to it that you thought about.

For me - although I do not have a post up so you'll have to take my word and if you don't I won't lose sleep lol - I was thinking about Diaw and Chandler for Calderon and Evans on Canada Day weekend up at my in-laws cabin. It did but then did not happen of course. I did not have the PHX angle thrown in but who really thought they'd get rid of Hedo's contract?

Comment

Working...
                  X