Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Baron Davis would be pretty sweet.
    You mean the dude that is up for an Emmy award? - See the "Lets NBA" section of RR Forum for the story on Baron being nominated for an Emmy.

I doubt that he would leave Los Angeles at this time.

He is too into the Hollywood scene and I believe he has some kind of no-trade clause in his contract, though I could be wrong on this last point.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I wouldn't touch Biedrins at this point because you don't know how he's respond coming back from surgery.
      Methinks that the Nuggets would be pushing for a Biedrins-Ellis for Anthony deal.

Comment

What's in a TPE

Understanding the TPE, is definitely not an easy maze to negotiate. dhackett1565 put it out there in pretty good terms. http://www.raptorshq.com/2010/8/2/16...yer-exceptions
        Tim Chisolm over at TSN, makes a good case for the value of Toronto's TPE.
        http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=333978
        To put a true perspective on it's value, you have to know the competition:

Cleveland ...... 14.5 mil (expires July 2010)
        Utah ............... 6.5 mil (Dec 22/2010)
        New Orleans .. 6.2 mil (July 2011)
        Houston ......... 6.3 mil (Aug 2011)
        Phoenix .......... 5.7 mil (July 2011)
        Dallas ............. 4.3 mil (July 2011)
        Next closest is Atlanta at 3.6 million.
        As far as I'm concerned, the only real competition is Cleveland. Utah's TPE expires way before the trading deadline - which I view as the most crucial time to use it.

The real value to a TPE, is based on a team (or teams), giving up on the season, and moving a player. The chances that a 6 million dollar man will be what the Raptors want (with New Orleans' or Houston's being our competition), just seems doubtful to me. I'd rather we find those players at the beginning of the season (ala Kleiza).

As I've said so many times before, Toronto has to get used to the "premium" cost associated with being in Canada. As such, we either have to pay a Free Agent that premium, or take a "premium" salary back (via the TPE), that will net us a top level player. Raptor chances are better via the TPE. Competition for a Free Agent (as we should know by now), goes beyond just the premium. That being said, no one should be under the delusion that we'll get a Melo type star with our TPE.

The other benefit of acquiring a player via the TPE, is that we can trade them (if their value justifies it), to a team prior to the draft, for which we might gather up more draft picks. Which gives Toronto it’s best chance at quality players, that we can ingrain into the Toronto lifestyle, and hopefully keep.
        From my reality, the Raptors’ road to a championship, has a lot more obstacles then many of the good teams out there. As such, we have to adapt our approach so that it takes into account the uniqueness of Toronto. And for those who say “name a championship team without a Franchise player”, I immediately think of Detroit. Of course, a negative poster has suggested Detroit was a fluke, and based on luck. To which I reply, for Toronto to win it all, there will definitely have to be some luck in there.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
          Understanding the TPE, is definitely not an easy maze to negotiate. dhackett1565 put it out there in pretty good terms. http://www.raptorshq.com/2010/8/2/16...yer-exceptions
          Tim Chisolm over at TSN, makes a good case for the value of Toronto's TPE.
          http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=333978
          To put a true perspective on it's value, you have to know the competition:

Cleveland ...... 14.5 mil (expires July 2010)
          Utah ............... 6.5 mil (Dec 22/2010)
          New Orleans .. 6.2 mil (July 2011)
          Houston ......... 6.3 mil (Aug 2011)
          Phoenix .......... 5.7 mil (July 2011)
          Dallas ............. 4.3 mil (July 2011)
          Next closest is Atlanta at 3.6 million.
          As far as I'm concerned, the only real competition is Cleveland. Utah's TPE expires way before the trading deadline - which I view as the most crucial time to use it.

The real value to a TPE, is based on a team (or teams), giving up on the season, and moving a player. The chances that a 6 million dollar man will be what the Raptors want (with New Orleans' or Houston's being our competition), just seems doubtful to me. I'd rather we find those players at the beginning of the season (ala Kleiza).

As I've said so many times before, Toronto has to get used to the "premium" cost associated with being in Canada. As such, we either have to pay a Free Agent that premium, or take a "premium" salary back (via the TPE), that will net us a top level player. Raptor chances are better via the TPE. Competition for a Free Agent (as we should know by now), goes beyond just the premium. That being said, no one should be under the delusion that we'll get a Melo type star with our TPE.

The other benefit of acquiring a player via the TPE, is that we can trade them (if their value justifies it), to a team prior to the draft, for which we might gather up more draft picks. Which gives Toronto it’s best chance at quality players, that we can ingrain into the Toronto lifestyle, and hopefully keep.
          From my reality, the Raptors’ road to a championship, has a lot more obstacles then many of the good teams out there. As such, we have to adapt our approach so that it takes into account the uniqueness of Toronto. And for those who say “name a championship team without a Franchise player”, I immediately think of Detroit. Of course, a negative poster has suggested Detroit was a fluke, and based on luck. To which I reply, for Toronto to win it all, there will definitely have to be some luck in there.
          Very good post and very good link.

However I think you have a typo on Cleveland's expiring TPE date
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I keep telling people, Getting the TPE's is like getting a present and then opening it up to discover that all you get is a pair of socks.

What the Raptor's will get for the TPE will be as exciting as getting Boris Diaw.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              I keep telling people, Getting the TPE's is like getting a present and then opening it up to discover that all you get is a pair of socks.

What the Raptor's will get for the TPE will be as exciting as getting Boris Diaw.
              That's why I can't wait to see what BC eventually gets out of the Bosh TPE because I doubt that he will want to go into the Luxury Tax area with a projected 20 something win team. I believe that in the end the Bosh TPE will be more BC hype & pr spins than actual substance.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

What do u mean i thought Chandler and Diaw were going to save this franchise(sarcasm)
                "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                  Baron Davis would be pretty sweet.
                  Davis WOULD be sweet....if you want an over-the-hill, injury-prone, shoot-first PG that has really only had a few years, seems to barely care anymore and plays almost as bad defense as Calderon. Plus, he's got one of the worst contracts in the entire league, still being owed nearly $45 million over the next three years.

I'm am astounded that people seem to still like Davis. Signing him was probably the stupidest thing the Clippers have done in the last decade, and that's saying a lot. He's only ever excelled in a run and gun offense where he could shoot without conscience and didn't have to worry about playing defense.

Getting Baron Davis for the TPE would set the franchise back years. In a word, no.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Davis WOULD be sweet....if you want an over-the-hill, injury-prone, shoot-first PG that has really only had a few years, seems to barely care anymore and plays almost as bad defense as Calderon. Plus, he's got one of the worst contracts in the entire league, still being owed nearly $45 million over the next three years.

I'm am astounded that people seem to still like Davis. Signing him was probably the stupidest thing the Clippers have done in the last decade, and that's saying a lot. He's only ever excelled in a run and gun offense where he could shoot without conscience and didn't have to worry about playing defense.

Getting Baron Davis for the TPE would set the franchise back years. In a word, no.
                    Davis is all Hollywood nowadays. Back in the days when he was dunking over Garnett he was still raw & hungry but now that he's paid in full he seems to coast alot when he's not injured.

Comment

I have a feeling the Raps might use their TPE much like OKC 'helped' out teams like MIA and NOH leading up to this year's draft or how MEM acted in brokering the deal that brought Turk to TOR and Marion to DAL. Oh yes, and they would be compensated for it by getting draft picks, cheap younger players, moving up/swapping draft picks. That would work for me. Time will tell.

Getting an overpaid/overhyped player is not my idea of progress for the Raptors nor is it the answer long term.

Comment

the only way it's fully used is if were trading like calderon and bargnani in some huge deal.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                        X