Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis To Return To Basketball Related Activities in about 6 Weeks

stackmack

Expected return to bball-related activities in 6 weeks: RT @RaptorsDevlin: Ed Davis had surgery today to repair torn meniscus in right knee. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    http://twitter.com/stackmack

That means that he will miss the entire pre-season and start basketball related activities shortly after the season starts.

Not good for anyone and especially not good for a rookie.

This could set him back maybe half the season or more.

Truth is he may never catch up in 10-11 because during the season practices are limited. This will be especially true with the Raptors this fall because of their two West Coast road trips before the end of the 2010.

Not good news
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Good news. October 25 is Davis' due date so to say.

Bad Luck could have been out for 1/2 of the year like Golden State's rookie PF- Udoh. Maybe this will aid in his avoiding the infamous- Rookie Wall. It's not like he's going to miss the whole year plus he'll have more than enough time to adapt to the NBA this season- barring anymore injuries, in my mind. Davis can always work out on his own w/ a trainier-assistant coach (that's what they are for)- in season, when the Rap's travel or are at home.

Jordan was famous for his in-season breakfast club workouts w/ Pippen & Harper and many other NBA player's (I can see the YG'z doing something similar as a unit on their own time) do the same. And the one thing that I do know about Davis is that he's a gym rat who will work diligently to get back healthy in order to show what he can do on the court this season.

At least this will give the Rap's PF vet's like Evans and Andersen, a chance to prove their worth as with a healthy Davis one or both may have been on the short end of a nine man rotation (3 man projected big rotation of Bargnani, Johnson, Davis).

Ed "Bad Luck" Davis shall return!!!!!!!!!

Comment

HPTH on Ed Davis' injury

Several players have faced meniscus injuries in the recent past, most notably Gilbert Arenas, Andrew Bynum, and Brandon Roy. While Bynum and Roy appear to have made a perfect recoveries (if you discount their other unrelated injuries), Arenas has always been haunted by the initial injury. Bynum played through the entire 2010 playoffs with his meniscus tear, and Roy was only out for just over a week (he had SURGERY in the time off). Again, Davis is only expected to be out for 6 weeks, so I can only assume his injury isn’t severe.
      http://wp.me/p1556R-c
      Joshua Priemski
      NBA blogger
      SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
      www.RufusOnFire.com/
      www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

he's gotta work out and build those muscles to protect himself from injury... must bulk up like Dwight Howard... and I'd be satisfied.

Comment

Didn't Bynum go for multiple surgeries? Isn't he oft injured?

Comment

Here is the real deal about Bynum's injury.

6-11 Injury Update: Andrew Bynum
            by Mike Trudell
            on June 11, 2010
            in Andrew Bynum, Finals and Injury News
            Lakers center Andrew Bynum, who was able to play just under two minutes in the second half of Thursday evening’s Game 4 loss in Boston, underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed no new damage to his right knee.

According to Lakers spokesman John Black, Bynum also had fluid drained from the swollen knee on Friday, the same process that occurred before the Finals opened in Los Angeles last week (May 31).

Bynum said after Game 4 that he hoped to play in Sunday’s Game 5; he will be officially listed as questionable for the contes
            http://my.lakers.com/blogs/2010/06/1...-andrew-bynum/

Lakers center Andrew Bynum to have knee surgery in July
            Updated 6/22/2010 11:09 PM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) — Andrew Bynum (FSY) survived the playoffs on his injured right knee, so the Los Angeles Lakers center is taking a few extra weeks to celebrate their title before getting the problem fixed for good.

Bynum's knee was drained Tuesday for the third time in recent weeks, and the 7-footer will have surgery next month to repair a partially torn ligament.

But with the Lakers' blessing, Bynum is headed to the World Cup in South Africa before undergoing surgery around July 18. Recovery time is short for the surgery, and Bynum should be at full strength for training camp this fall.
            http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...-surgery_N.htm

Health of these stars could be season's biggest story

Posted Sep 20 2010 9:27AM

6) Andrew Bynum, Lakers
            • INJURY: Torn cartilage, right knee (4/30/10)
            • PROGNOSIS: Questionable for start of regular season

The Lakers said in July that Bynum would be available on a "limited basis" during training camp after his operation to repair the knee he dragged through the playoffs and Finals, earning the respect of his teammates in the process. It's hard to see Phil Jackson using Bynum much, if at all, during camp and the preseason, even if that means Bynum isn't quite ready to start the regular season. With Gasol also sitting out the worlds, he's likely ready to handle heavier minutes early on until Bynum is up to speed.
            http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Bynum for the playoffs and the regular season.

Stat-----Playoffs-Reg Season
            --------------------------------
            Games----23-----65
            MPG-----24------30
            PPG-----8.6-----15.0
            RPG-----6.9------8.3

I watched ever Lakers playoff game. Bynum's mobility and jumping ability during the playoffs were severely limited.

I do give him an A+ for gutting it out like a trouper despite having his knee eventually drained 3 times before the operation.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...bynuman01.html

Now granted Davis is having the operation before playing any more on it.

In any case Bynum had the surgery around the middle of July and it looks like he will miss the entire pre-season.

July----2 wks
            Aug----4 wks
            Sep----4 wks
            Oct----5 wks
            ---------------------
            Total 15 wks before he returns after the surgery
            ======================

However, for that person to write that Bynum's knee injury did not affect his play in the playoffs is just wrong and misleading.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Sep 20, 2010, 10:18 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are entirely different people with extremely different injuries. We'll see how this plays out.
              It's about money

Comment

Bynum had an injury prior to the miniscus tear not comparing apples to apples.

Comment

I was relieved to see 6 weeks. Don't see how that's bad. What would have been best is if he wasn't injured, but he was and 6 weeks is a lot better than it could have been. Davis is a smart player and I think he won't take that long to settle in once he gets back in basketball shape.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                    Bynum had an injury prior to the miniscus tear not comparing apples to apples.
                    That is not correct. He got the meniscus tear long before he hyper extended the knee.

Bynum had surgery in the end of July for for a meniscus tear. This is the same injury that Davis has. Bynum as I linked above will not be ready before the season begins. That is 13 weeks minimum at this point. Notice what it says in the article about him starting to rehab in 6 weeks yet it will take him another 7 weeks minimum before he can play. Okay I got the surgery date wrong in an above post by two weeks. However it will still be 13 weeks or more before he can play in a game.

He did hyper extend his knee the end of April, but he was not operated on for that and played in the playoffs with it and the tear.

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers starting center Andrew Bynum has had arthroscopic surgery to repair a tear of the lateral meniscus in his right knee, the team announced Wednesday.

The surgery was performed in New York by Dr. David Altchek, who has operated on Bynum's knee in the past. It is Bynum's third knee surgery in the past three years and the second on his right knee.

The 22-year-old has missed 96 games during that span because of various injuries, but fought through this particular ailment, never sitting out a night during the Lakers' 23-game postseason championship run despite suffering the knee injury in Game 6 of the first round against Oklahoma City.

Bynum was able to play 65 games during the regular season and into the first round of the playoffs against the Thunder with a small tear in his meniscus of his knee, an injury that both he and the team were aware of since last summer. Bynum aggravated the tear on April 30 against Oklahoma City when he hyperextended the knee.
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5418555

Andrew Bynum had 'successful' arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Wednesday to repair a torn meniscus
                    All sports surgeries are initially called a success, but we'll have to see how he handles rehab and recovery before completely buying in. Bynum will rehab his knee for six to eight weeks, in hopes of being at nearly 100 percent by the start of the season. We expect him to be ready to go, but given his injury history, he could be in line to miss a lot of games again this season.
                    Source: Los Angeles Times
                    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...1132&sport=NBA

Comment

So six weeks till he can start mild training... So does this mean I'll have to wait at least 1/2 the season to see a proper Davis game C'mon Andrea and Amir, gotta fill Davis' shoes (that is weird)

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        That is not correct. He got the meniscus tear long before he hyper extended the knee.

Bynum had surgery in the end of July for for a meniscus tear. This is the same injury that Davis has. Bynum as I linked above will not be ready before the season begins. That is 13 weeks minimum at this point. Notice what it says in the article about him starting to rehab in 6 weeks yet it will take him another 7 weeks minimum before he can play. Okay I got the surgery date wrong in an above post by two weeks. However it will still be 13 weeks or more before he can play in a game.

He did hyper extend his knee the end of April, but he was not operated on for that and played in the playoffs with it and the tear.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5418555

[COLOR="Red"][B]
                        http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...1132&sport=NBA
                        Yeah, they both had torn meniscus ligaments to varying degrees of severity, but they are also different people with different [general and injury] histories, different genetic makeups, different diets and routines, different ages (not by much, but different), and with different training staff and doctors. All I'm saying is that there are completely different conditions surrounding their individual injuries, so making a comparison between two biological processes that have significantly different input/output variables is complete and utter nonsense. They aren't computers, we can only make hypotheses given the evidence at hand.

You don't think it makes a difference that Bynum also pinched, aggravated, and tore his meniscus to a different degree, whilst playing on it for an additional 3+ weeks? Do we know of any complimentary injuries in Davis?
                        It's about money

Comment

What a disaster.

6 weeks from today means the following:

- missing an important training camp to get ready physically, mentally and getting to know your team-mates and understanding your role.

- missing the pre-season games - missing your first chance to run up an down the court against some real NBA players and getting your first taste of competition.

- Missing games - My estimation is that after the rehab and training, Davis will essentially miss out the entire month of November and maybe more pending if there aren't any setbacks (there always are).

So Davis will probably miss 20+ games and will be inserted into the lineup very unprepared to start his season against top notch NBA ready competition.

But not to worry I am sure he will get his points in rebounds down the stretch when the entire Raptor's team will be blown out of the water in the third quarter by top notch teams and meaningless baskets can be have!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            What a disaster.

6 weeks from today means the following:

- missing an important training camp to get ready physically, mentally and getting to know your team-mates and understanding your role.

- missing the pre-season games - missing your first chance to run up an down the court against some real NBA players and getting your first taste of competition.

- Missing games - My estimation is that after the rehab and training, Davis will essentially miss out the entire month of November and maybe more pending if there aren't any setbacks (there always are).

So Davis will probably miss 20+ games and will be inserted into the lineup very unprepared to start his season against top notch NBA ready competition.

But not to worry I am sure he will get his points in rebounds down the stretch when the entire Raptor's team will be blown out of the water in the third quarter by top notch teams and meaningless baskets can be have!
                            Very few team will blows out the Raptors in games in which Johnson plays over 30 minutes. Of course he may not play too many games over 30 minutes

For his career in NBA games in which Johnson has played over 30 minutes his teams are 8 - 2 .800

One loss was by 11 points
                            One loss was by 6 points
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Sep 21, 2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Andrew Bynum, continues to rehabilitate his right knee from surgery in late July and will not be ready to participate at the onset of the team’s training camp on Saturday, Sept. 25.

Bynum underwent a minor operation on July 28 to correct a small tear of the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus in his right knee that he suffered in the first round of the playoffs, and has been doing therapy throughout August and September with Lakers Athletic Performance Coordinator Alex McKechnie as well as physical therapist Judy Seto.

The 22-year-old center, however, is not yet ready to participate in basketball activities. According to team spokesman John Black, the team is hopeful Bynum will be able to resume playing towards the end of training camp, (13 weeks after the surgery.) but his progress will be measured on a day-to-day basis as camp and the preseason progress.
                              Bynum - 13 weeks from surgery date until his now estimated return to action

Comment

Working...
                              X