Thread: Would you? Gortat, Bass & 1st Rounder for Bargnani

Hybrid View

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you? Gortat, Bass & 1st Rounder for Bargnani

Yay or Nay to this proposal?

This is from Chris Sheridan's ESPN today:

Jordan (Toronto) - Gortat and Bass plus a number 1 pick to the Raptors for Bargnani?

Chris Sheridan (3:58 PM) - Never in a million years would Toronto do that.
    Source - Click here

Raptors Republic Rookie murtmalik's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if they throw in VC for Hedo.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes -- A Bosh + Gortat + Bass big man rotation would be very effective.

Toronto would immediately become a top 10 defensive team. They would also remain above average offensively. Excellent trade.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto would never do it, sadly that is true. But I definitely think we should. It would be great for this season, but if Bosh leaves anyway, we are kinda screwed.

Then again, Bargnani is our safety net if Bosh leaves right? We get to build around him. Maybe that is better than Gortat's inflated contract...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bosh's decision whether to re-sign or not is the deciding factor whether this is a good trade or not. With Bosh, Gortat (a defensive minded centre) and Bass (very effective bench PF, possibly 6th man type like Carl Landry) would be great compliments. However, like someone already alluded to, if Bosh leaves then we would need Bargnani's "potential" to build on. Having Gortat and Bass at the point would leave the roster vulnerable and lacking of offensive star power.

Raptors Republic Starter DarkKnight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys kidding me? Am I the only one that thinks that's a HORRIBLE trade? Gortat is cool and all, but he's no where near what Bargnani is. Rebounding wise, yes, Gortat wins this, but overall as player value? Like Chris Sheridan said, "no way in hell". Gortat is solid, but hasn't proven anything yet other than being a backup centre with a big contract - for his sake though, I hope he gets traded so he can start and play more and show what he can do..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

no, never. For Bargs I would like at least a proven starter in the league and none of the two is. Not even saying a starter with comparable numbers (cos centers with comparable ppg are very hard to find my friends), but at least a starter. And Orlando pick would be of any real value?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always weary in any trade involving me giving up a starter for two backups. These guys may have shown flashes coming off the bench, but there are also plenty of reasons why they aren't starters and it's not all related to playing on teams with superior players playing their position.

I know that a lot of you guys are down on Andrea's trade value, but he has to be worth more than two backup players and if he's not, then you can't trade him until he is. It's as simple as that.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    These guys may have shown flashes coming off the bench, but there are also plenty of reasons why they aren't starters and it's not all related to playing on teams with superior players playing their position.
    In Marcin Gortat's case that's exactly the reason. The only reason he isn't playing 30 minutes a night is because he's playing behind Dwight Howard.

He's too talented a basketball player to be a 15 minute a night player ... he's a main cog on most teams.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And you know this how? Based on the whopping 4 games he's started in his 3 year career?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    And you know this how? Based on the whopping 4 games he's started in his 3 year career?
    Based on (1) style of play -- defense, rebounding, complementary offense -- the types of things you can do without the basketball (2) how well Gortat has played when matched up against the better centers in the league.

Anyway, Gortat will likely be a starting center next season if Orlando, as expected, trade him in the summer. We can both see for sure then. I feel very confident about his ability though.

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargs is better than both and under contract forever - So No!

Both players are BYC and very hard to trade until next season.

Probably acquired to be used in a S&T to acquire another star player in the off season?
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ebrian, I think Dave is basing it both his personal views when watching the game + the stats that back that view up. Under conventional statistics, for his career, Gortat is averaging 10 points, 12.1 rebounds (with a whopping 4.1 offensive rebounds), 2.4 blocks and just under 1 steal and assist a game per 36 minutes. Those are incredible numbers for a center. His only concern is fouls as he averages 5.1 per 36.

Addtionally, if one were to dig into the advanced stats, Gortat has career averages of 19.0 TRB% (very good rebounding rate, even for a center), solid TS% and eFg% at .565 and .555 respectively and good BLK% at 4.8. Furthermore his ORTG is 115 and DRTG is 98, a swing of 17 points!

In my opinion, Gortat is one of the elite role players in this league and has the potential to have star-like numbers at the center position.

Thread Information