HPTH: DeMar a soon-to-be All-Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPTH: DeMar a soon-to-be All-Star?

DeMar DeRozan possesses the drive and determination that makes okay players good, and good players great. Similar to Williams, DeRozan's game was focused almost solely on his athleticism last season. He scored on cuts and fast breaks almost exclusively, and provided average defense at best. However, DeRozan worked his butt off the very second the 2010 season ended for the Raptors, polishing new moves, improving his handle and shooting ability, and watching tape. With Chris Bosh leaving for Miami, it's seemingly up to DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani to carry this team. The coaching staff in Toronto seems determined to teach him Kobe's pet moves and instincts, realizing that DeMar does have a shot at being a great scorer for the Raptors for years to come. He showed off his dramatically improved game at the Las Vegas Summer League, averaging 21-4.5-1.5 in 4 games.
    http://bit.ly/9vpqtU

Definitely seems like a possibility if you ask me.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

it's seemingly up to DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani to carry this team.
    Hogwash!
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Hahaha. Gotta be a little controversial.
      Joshua Priemski
      NBA blogger
      www.RufusOnFire.com/

Comment

He scored on cuts and fast breaks almost exclusively,
        This is only partially correct

According to Synergy Sports here is the break of DeRozan's FGAs in 09-10

Top Four Plays by Percent of FGA's

Play--------Percent----PPP - FG%--Amir FG% - DeRozan Overall PPP 1.01
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Spot-Up------32-------.91---44.1---48.4
        Transition-----26------1.16---60.9---80.5
        Cut-----------12------1.41---69.8---68.4
        Dreaded ISO---8--------.61---30.2---27.3 on only 12 FGAs

Surprisingly DeRozan attempted more Spot-Up shots than any other type of play. However his PPP on Spot-Ups was not very good. His PPP as well as his FG% on the dreaded ISO play were both horrible as were Amir's numbers on the dreaded ISO play.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddah, it says DeRozan scored mostly on the fastbreak and with cuts. Check your ppp's. :P

Appreciate the help though. I'm waiting on October 1st until I purchase MySynergy. Not worth 30 bucks for one week, haha.
          Joshua Priemski
          NBA blogger
          www.RufusOnFire.com/

Comment

Making all-star would mean he's a top 4 guard in the East...

Something terrible would have to happen to all but three of these players (who I'd say are all better than him right now):

Rondo, Rose, Jennings, Wade, Nelson, Igoudala (sp?), Arenas, J Johnson... okay, I'm too tired to think of who else might be on this list. Hell, Devin Harris is still better than DeMar even with his terribad season last year.

So no, I think it's pretty safe to say he's not going to be an All-Star this year. Sorry DeMar, still <3 you.

If you wanna classify him as a forward, he'd have even less chance now that the East is rife with monster PFs, SFs and Lebron.

Edit: Oops... "soon to be" is a bit of a vague statement... certainly not this year. slim chance for next. and after that, it's kinda pointless to be forecasting.

Comment

Introcollapse wrote: View Post
              Buddah, it says DeRozan scored mostly on the fastbreak and with cuts. Check your ppp's. :P

Appreciate the help though. I'm waiting on October 1st until I purchase MySynergy. Not worth 30 bucks for one week, haha.
              He scored mostly on Post-Ups

He had a higher PPP on the other two plays but he scored more total points on Spot-Ups than on Transition and Cut plays.

Field Goals by Play type
              -----------------------
              Spot-Up----78
              Transition---70
              Cuts--------42

3FGM by Play
              ----------------
              Spot-Up----3

And-One by Play
              -----------------
              Transition----8
              Spot-Up-----6
              Cut---------2

DeRozan scored most of his points on Spot-Up shots

Source: Synergy Sports

Comment

My guess is that is a lot more expensive for a full season.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is over $100 for the entire season.

Then again it might be only $30 for the entire season, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it is.

Comment

I don't know how the Toronto coaching staff, or anyone for that matter, can "teach" someone another players "instincts."

For that matter I'd guess that, having attended Kobes camps and growing up a baller in LA AND having played with Kobe both professionally and out of season, DeRozan probably has a better working knowledge of KB24's game than Jay "I had a courtside seat to the 81 point game" Triano and his get-along-gang of assistants.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

MAn that would be great ! DD is getting there with some hard work and a jumper why not ?
                    "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                      I don't know how the Toronto coaching staff, or anyone for that matter, can "teach" someone another players "instincts."

For that matter I'd guess that, having attended Kobes camps and growing up a baller in LA AND having played with Kobe both professionally and out of season, DeRozan probably has a better working knowledge of KB24's game than Jay "I had a courtside seat to the 81 point game" Triano and his get-along-gang of assistants.
                      Coaches have (typically) better knowledge and understanding of the game than players do. Players possess the physical skills to implement the teachings they are subject to. A player may see Kobe attempt a turn-around j, with a shimmy, and wonder how he created so much space. A coach is the one that sees that, analyzes the technique and watches it on tape, and relays their findings to players.
                      Joshua Priemski
                      NBA blogger
                      www.RufusOnFire.com/

Comment

I just want to see a steady rise from him if he can up his game and score around 15 points a game next year I will be happy
                        ya dun noe

Comment

Coaches have (typically) better knowledge and understanding of the game than players do. Players possess the physical skills to implement the teachings they are subject to. A player may see Kobe attempt a turn-around j, with a shimmy, and wonder how he created so much space. A coach is the one that sees that, analyzes the technique and watches it on tape, and relays their findings to players.

I know what coaches do, thanks for the insight.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

derozan can be a vince type player eventually. everyone keeps talking about his potential. lets see how his jump shot developed over the off season. for derozan to be an all atar in this league hes gunna need to average near 20 points 4 or 5 rebounds and a couple of assists. he has the hops to get the boards its just a matter of working with the coaches and shit. once derozan gets the ball and starts driving to the rim, scoring, drawing fouls, teams will start to back off and thats when his jump shot would be helpful. this season should give us a really good idea of what kind of player we really have.
                            http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

Working...
                            X