4-Way Melo Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Way Melo Deal

Marc Stein/ESPN reporting a possible four team deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5610989

Utah caught me by surprise but it makes sense for all teams involved - especially Charlotte. It remains to be seen if Melo would sign an extension. The trade wouldn't go through as reported so it would need some pieces. This would work:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=23gmrah

Charlotte and NJ sending draft picks to Denver as well?

I think Jerry Sloan would be good for JR Smith and JR Smith would be great off the bench for Utah.

Charlotte makes out like bandits in this deal. They send out Diaw and get Devin Harris? Sweet fancy moses. Utah gives up an expiring in Kirilenko and gets Diaw? They lose in that deal.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
      Charlotte makes out like bandits in this deal. They send out Diaw and get Devin Harris? Sweet fancy moses. Utah gives up an expiring in Kirilenko and gets Diaw? They lose in that deal.
      Stein is usually quite credible in his stories so I would give this merit.

The trade as reported would need extra pieces to work - hence my fun on the trade machine.

Yes, CHA does make out like bandits. They are lucky in terms of circumstances - DEN does not want another PF in Murphy or PG in Harris. Those are the only significant salaries they can offer to help make up the $17.1M - 1.25% - 100K required for the trade. Enter other teams. What does NJ care where Harris goes as long as they get Melo?

Utah certainly doesn't need a PG and they have to take back $17.1M enter Diaw who could opt out after this year AND ANOTHER PIECE because, again, current proposed trade wouldn't work under rules. Adding JR Smith would certainly bolster their bench scoring and their issue the last couple of seasons has been lack of dept at the SG (nobody knew Matthews would become what he did). DEN is known to want Smith gone as well.

With regards to Kirlenko, they are paying one guy $17M who averages 11pts, 4.6 rebs, 2.7 ast, and a little over a BLK and STL a game. In return they get Diaw who averaged 11pts, 5.2 rebs, 4.0 asts, and a little under a BLK and STL a game plus a deadly 3pt threat (which they lost in Korver) and 15pts a game off the bench? The argument that Diaw is much worse on D is true however they added a much better defensive post player in Jefferson over Boozer - especially if Jefferson's knee is 100% now.

Now I made up the additions to the trade but obviously more would have to go Utah's way and JR Smith seems the most likely given the numbers needed to make it work and Utah's need of guard scoring and 3pt shooting. For Utah taking on Smith is a low risk/high reward situation because he is an expiring contract as well.

Comment

The Raptors definitely need to get involved in this deal. If the Nets are willing to move Devin Harris and are looking to bring back a PG in the deal than the Raps should try to bump Charlotte right out of the deal. If they can send Jose to the nets and offer the jazz someone to replace Diaw(maybe a pick and an Expiring?) then get Devin Harris in return they would have the young speedy PG perfectly suited to run their uptempo offense. This would also leave them some assets to possibly go after another big.

Comment

I agree Get Harris to Toronto, my trade that works (screw Charlotte, hello Toronto)

IF your Utah what would you rather have Boris Diaw who is out of shape, or Markus Banks/Reggie Evans a trade exemption and a 2nd round pick to go with it. If I'm them, I'd want Banks/Reggie and a 2nd rounder. Get rid of Charlotte, it would be perfect karma since they screwed us earlier, lets get in there, steal Harris, get rid of calderon who is better than DJ Augustin and give both denver and NJ a better deal than Charlotte.

Toronto trades Banks 4.8 mil, Evans 5 mil, Calderon 9 mil=19mil and 5 mil exemption+1st rounder (from miami) and 2nd rounder (us)
          we get Devin Harris 9mil, Troy Murphy 12mil, K Humphries 3.2=24 mil that works ok, I always liked Humphries, Murphy could play some center and rebounds, Devis Harris new starting PG

NJ trades- Favors 4.1, Harris 9mil, Murphy 12mil, Humphries 3.2 = 28 million +1st round pick
          NJ recieves C Anthony 17mil, J Calderon 9 mil=26 million that works ok Calderon can get anthony the ball, I think he would be a better fit than Augustin.

Utah trade- Kirelenko 17.8 million
          Utah recieves - JR Smith 6.7 million, M Banks 5 million, R Evans 5 million +2nd rounder from raptors =16.7 million that works ok and gives them incentive to take banks and evans vs diaw, I really think they would regret taking diaw cause he's way out of shape,

Denver trades C Anthony 17.1 and JR Smith 6.7=23.8 million
          Denver gets D Favors 4.1, AK 47 17.8=21.9 million +1st round pick from Raptors (Miami pick) and 1 first round pick from New Jersey) that works ok, NJ could put in another pick from themselves to denver to make it work if neccessary)

What does everybody else think?

Comment

rockstar rob wrote: View Post
            IF your Utah what would you rather have Boris Diaw who is out of shape, or Markus Banks/Reggie Evans a trade exemption and a 2nd round pick to go with it. If I'm them, I'd want Banks/Reggie and a 2nd rounder. Get rid of Charlotte, it would be perfect karma since they screwed us earlier, lets get in there, steal Harris, get rid of calderon who is better than DJ Augustin and give both denver and NJ a better deal than Charlotte.

Toronto trades Banks 4.8 mil, Evans 5 mil, Calderon 9 mil=19mil and 5 mil exemption+1st rounder (from miami) and 2nd rounder (us)
            we get Devin Harris 9mil, Troy Murphy 12mil, K Humphries 3.2=24 mil that works ok, I always liked Humphries, Murphy could play some center and rebounds, Devis Harris new starting PG

NJ trades- Favors 4.1, Harris 9mil, Murphy 12mil, Humphries 3.2 = 28 million +1st round pick
            NJ recieves C Anthony 17mil, J Calderon 9 mil=26 million that works ok Calderon can get anthony the ball, I think he would be a better fit than Augustin.

Utah trade- Kirelenko 17.8 million
            Utah recieves - JR Smith 6.7 million, M Banks 5 million, R Evans 5 million +2nd rounder from raptors =16.7 million that works ok and gives them incentive to take banks and evans vs diaw, I really think they would regret taking diaw cause he's way out of shape,

Denver trades C Anthony 17.1 and JR Smith 6.7=23.8 million
            Denver gets D Favors 4.1, AK 47 17.8=21.9 million +1st round pick from Raptors (Miami pick) and 1 first round pick from New Jersey) that works ok, NJ could put in another pick from themselves to denver to make it work if neccessary)

What does everybody else think?
            Diaw is actually a guy Utah reportedly likes and has tried to acquire in the past. While he is out of shape, he is still a versatile and effective offensive player - well, maybe not against Orlando in the playoffs but other than that.

The issue NJ has is offering up enough to get Anthony but not enough to make the team a fringe playoff team with Anthony as its star. I definitely do not see NJ giving up both Harris and Murphy plus Favours in any deal - one of Murphy/Harris and Favours.

Comment

Why the nets might trade murphy too

Why I think the nets would be open to trading Murphy as well
              1) It cuts the Nets current payroll, when the raptors use part of their trade exemtion
              2) The way I saw the trade formalized the Nets have to give up 2 of their own #1 draft pics, If the raptors include Miami's #1 draft pic, NJ can keep 1 of their #1's so the question is what would you rather have Troy Murphy for 1 year or a number 1 draft pick. I'd take the #1 draft pick no question.
              3) Diaw is way overratted, he used to be good, but he can opt out at the end of the year as well if he plays well, if he doesn't your stuck with him and his salary for another year. Lose lose for Utah. At least with the toronto pieces you know they are gonna expire at the end of the year and they get a 2nd rounder too.
              NJ- is not gonna win it all next year, they were the worst team in the league last year, even with Anthony they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs let alone out of the first round. I think they are thinking long term, give up Murphy for 1 year, your team won't be as good this year yes that's true, but next year you get a higher draft pick, you can sign Troy Murphy as a free agent long term if you want, and you get to keep another #1st round pick and you get a proven starting point guard in calderon vs hit or miss with Augustin. If Charlotte doesn't feel good about having him as a starter and they got nobody else why would New Jersey feel good having Augustin start?
              Hope that makes sense
              Rob

Comment

1) It cuts the Nets current payroll, when the raptors use part of their trade exemtion
                2) The way I saw the trade formalized the Nets have to give up 2 of their own #1 draft pics, If the raptors include Miami's #1 draft pic, NJ can keep 1 of their #1's so the question is what would you rather have Troy Murphy for 1 year or a number 1 draft pick. I'd take the #1 draft pick no question.
                3) Diaw is way overratted, he used to be good, but he can opt out at the end of the year as well if he plays well, if he doesn't your stuck with him and his salary for another year. Lose lose for Utah. At least with the toronto pieces you know they are gonna expire at the end of the year and they get a 2nd rounder too.
                NJ- is not gonna win it all next year, they were the worst team in the league last year, even with Anthony they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs let alone out of the first round. I think they are thinking long term, give up Murphy for 1 year, your team won't be as good this year yes that's true, but next year you get a higher draft pick, you can sign Troy Murphy as a free agent long term if you want, and you get to keep another #1st round pick and you get a proven starting point guard in calderon vs hit or miss with Augustin. If Charlotte doesn't feel good about having him as a starter and they got nobody else why would New Jersey feel good having Augustin start?
                Hope that makes sense
                Rob
                Good points. Once NJ gets an extension signed they can really do whatever they want without worrying very near term.

Comment

It looks like this deal has the potential to be another Diaw/Chandler to Toronto mess. Surprise, it is the Bobcats again messing it up. I'm a little surprised they are not willing to give up Augustine. He does not seem to be in Coach Brown's Fav 5, they would be acquiring a potential All-Star PG in Harris, and they just signed Livingston to a 2 year guaranteed $7M contract (3rd year team option for $3.5M).

I think another thing the Bobcats should start worrying about is teams may start to be unwilling to deal with them as this could be the third trade in a year and a half that has been nixed by Charlotte last second after leaked to media.

Comment

Hope that makes sense
                    Rob
                    Murphy can't be traded unless he's traded by himself.

If the Nets lose Favours in the Anthony deal, they'd be best served to hang onto Murphy for their starting 4.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Murphy can't be traded unless he's traded by himself.

If the Nets lose Favours in the Anthony deal, they'd be best served to hang onto Murphy for their starting 4.
                      Agree on Favours and Murphy - both can't go hence Harris to Charlotte to make up the differnece.

However, because the Nets were under before and stayed under the salary cap after they acquired Murphy, he is not limited to the 2 month rule. That is only for teams acquring players and going over the salary cap to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X