No announcement yet.

2011 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. That's what I've always said. Either Kyrie Irving or Perry Jones. If we do happen to get the #1 pick then that's a different story.

Comment

Perry Jones +1 , and we should play the home opener against phoenix and let him and turkoglu duke it out over 94 feet...i sense some sweet retribution.

Comment

The great thing about the Raptors second draft pick from Miami is someone always drops for whatever reason - Ed Davis seems to be this years example.

Next, with the TPE the Raps could easily take on a player and give up the Heat draft pick to move up in the draft or take on a player and swap draft picks - OKC seems to be this years example with Aldrich/NO and Cook/Miami.

The next year will certainly shape BC's legacy with the team now that Bosh is finally gone. Hopefully he is given the opportunity to take all the credit - or the blame.

Comment

We either need a PG or a C. Kyrie is the most intriguing.

Comment

For those who draft on positional need rather than overall talent, please refer to Rafael Arujo vs. Andre Iguodala :P

But on a serious note, here is a good break down of players by position:

http://www.nbadraft.net/positional-rankings-updated

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              For those who draft on positional need rather than overall talent, please refer to Rafael Arujo vs. Andre Iguodala :P

But on a serious note, here is a good break down of players by position:

http://www.nbadraft.net/positional-rankings-updated
              They have a fairly favorable opinion of Perry.

However they also mention that he under performs

Consistency here will be something to look for with him at Baylor in 10-11.

I would also look to see how he does in "big" games and against the "better" teams.

Those two things will help determined whether he manned up or not to his potential.

If not next year at Baylor than he will be a high risk pick.

Other things to look for will include:

Where will be in located on the floor on offensive sets; i.e. on the wing or on the block?
              If on the block how good is his post up game.
              If on the wing how well does he shoot the shortened three ball in NCAA.
              Look to see where he plays on defense; i.e. as a wing or as a big. If as a big check his rebounding.
              Looking at his overall defense and w/o getting blinded to everything else by his blocks.

Interesting that DraftNet lists him as a SF

Small Forwards

2. Perry Jones 6-11 230 SF Baylor Fr.

It is awe-inspiring to watch a player who is 6'11" move like Perry Jones does. On the fast break he is a terror. Charging at the defense full-speed, only to change directions on a dime and then rise up for a powerful finish. His ball handling skills coupled with his length reminds many of Tracy McGrady. He is extremely comfortable with the ball in his hands. Though his jump shot isn't reliable yet, he shows a lot of potential in this area. All of his physical attributes (athleticism, strength, length, height, quickness) makes defense come easy to him at the high school level. He will have to put in a little more work in this area at Baylor. Unlike Barnes, Jones has a lot of skeptics. If he produces this season like he can, then he has the best chance of dethroning Barnes as the first overall pick come June.
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Sep 26, 2010, 10:33 AM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                They have a fairly favorable opinion of Perry.

However they also mention that he under performs

Consistency here will be something to look for with him at Baylor in 10-11.

I would also look to see how he does in "big" games and against the "better" teams.

Those two things will help determined whether he manned up or not to his potential.

If not next year at Baylor than he will be a high risk pick.

Other things to look for will include:

Where will be in located on the floor on offensive sets; i.e. on the wing or on the block?
                If on the block how good is his post up game.
                If on the wing how well does he shoot the shortened three ball in NCAA.
                Look to see where he plays on defense; i.e. as a wing or as a big. If as a big check his rebounding.
                Looking at his overall defense and w/o getting blinded to everything else by his blocks.

Interesting that DraftNet lists him as a SF
                With Perry's ball handling abilities and build, he will most definitely be a SF in the NBA.

Also, I really don't have any idea who the Raps should look at as of now, so much can change, but it is nice to know what is going to be out there as this year's draft is going to be the most important draft relative to the future of the franchise since 2006 when there was no clear number 1.

Given BC's history of having or attempting to have elite level PG's running the team (even Jose on a statistical basis could have been considered a budding elite level PG based on his stats) Irving has to be considered a high probability pick if available. Check the video:

Also check the comparison on his NBADraft.net page:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/kyrie-irving
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Sep 26, 2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I find it interesting DraftExpress does not even list Fab Melo. The guy has more than enough talent and potential to be listed. Maybe they don't think he'll be a one-and-done?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I find it interesting DraftExpress does not even list Fab Melo. The guy has more than enough talent and potential to be listed. Maybe they don't think he'll be a one-and-done?
                    Perry is Apollo's guy, not mine.

I have no strong sense of who the lottery picks in the June 2011 draft will be.

Way to early for me. Got to wait until after the NBA regular season is complete.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The only reason I'd want the Raptors to tank the season, is to pick up Tristan Thompson. However, its pretty much 100% that he won't be one and done since he wants to play with Myck Kabongo next season at Texas.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        We either need a PG or a C. Kyrie is the most intriguing.
                        The Raptors need to draft the best player, no matter what position he is. I don't care if the best player is a SG or PF. The Raptors have no one on the team that will make it worthwhile to pass on someone better.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'm fine with us drafting quite a few players. Perry Jones is certainly up there. As is Kyrie Irving, (obviously) Harrison Barnes, Josh Selby (I'm convinced he can play the point)...AS LONG AS WE DON'T DRAFT BARGS 2.0 AKA DONATAS MOTIEJUNAS...
                          Joshua Priemski
                          NBA blogger
                          SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                          www.RufusOnFire.com/
                          www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                            We either need a PG or a C.
                            A SF of the future would be nice, too.
                            Joshua Priemski
                            NBA blogger
                            SB Nation's Rufus on Fire