2011 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Draft

Maybe a little premature, but HoopsWorld had an article on the guys with the biggest upside. No doubt the Raps will be looking at some of these names throughout the year.

While I do not think they will be #28 in the league like ESPN, I'm not booking any trips to T.O. in the hopes of catching playoff basketball.

It would appear quite a few of the top prospects this year are wings/forwards with potential to play 2/3/4.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/college/st...story_id=17406

The shitty thing is with the lockout looming, this year may be a weak draft with guys staying in college for another season.

Who do you like in the draft next year?

Mock 2011 NBA Draft:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/

*Or am I really too early on this? LOL*

Fab Melo?

Comment

"The shitty thing is with the lockout looming, this year may be a weak draft with guys staying in college for another season."

I was just reading about this on Doug Smith's blog and couple of questions came to my mind; lets say a lockout happens, then does the 2011 Draft still happen? and if they do held the 2011 draft, how much/how long would they pay the rookies?!

another question, the year after the lockout (2012 Draft) how does NBA decides which team picks first and which team picks 30th?!

Comment

Hoopsworld wrote the same type of article in 2009 for the 2010 draft at about the same time of the calendar year.

I actually emailed the author asking why so early?

The response, which makes sense, is that all the NBA teams start around this time of the year to compile player information about the next June draft.

So if its not too early for teams to look at it, its not too early for writers and fans to look at it.

Though personally I wait until the after January to start to look at the upcoming draft when

1. I can watch the players in intra-conference play. I tend to ignore the pre-season tournaments in the NCAA when it comes to any meaningful forecasting even though you do get some good match up games in the pre-season tournaments among projected powerhouses for the upcoming season.

2. Around Jan you can start to get a feel for what teams may actually wind up in the lottery and not what teams are projected by NBA pre-season polls to wind up in the lottery.

3. Its not my job to look at it this early. So therefore I don't.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

If we want to listen to ESPN then it's proactive to talk about this stuff now as the season is already in the books and the Raptors are road kill. My vote goes to Perry Jones.

That last play was just flat out sick. I reacted like Emeril, "BAM!!!"

AJM wrote: View Post
          I was just reading about this on Doug Smith's blog and couple of questions came to my mind; lets say a lockout happens, then does the 2011 Draft still happen? and if they do held the 2011 draft, how much/how long would they pay the rookies?!

another question, the year after the lockout (2012 Draft) how does NBA decides which team picks first and which team picks 30th?!
          Tough question. If I'm a Amateur player and I want to turn pro but I know a lockout is going to happen and I potentially won't be able to play pro ball that year they I may be hesitant about entering the draft. However, last time a lockout happened was the Vince Carter draft class and that was a good draft class. I think the draft will go ahead, its just those players who do enter may have to wait a while before they play ball where they won't able to play in the NBA and they won't be able to play college hoops. They could probably go overseas to China or somewhere while they wait. They won't be able to play in Europe though because there is an understanding establish between the NBA and them...
          Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Perry Jones is currently ranked #9 in the incoming NCAA freshman class by Rivals

http://bit.ly/aFSlNy

ESPN ranks him #3

November, 2009: The ESPNU #3 overall player in the class of 2010 has off the charts talent and skill but his production is no where close to what it should be. Against Bellaire (Texas Jamboree) he had two points at halftime and finished the game with 9 points and 4 fouls. Jones started the second half with three consectitive mid range jumpers before picking up his 4th foul early in the 3rd quarter that caused him to sit until about the six minute mark of the 4th quarter.

Jones is a terrific athlete that can score anywhere on the floor. His upside and potential has NBA written all over it but before that can happen he must learn to dominate high school games on a consistent basis and prepare for life as a Big 12 player. Jones is a very unselfish player almost to a fault. He needs to play in attack mode more often in order to get the production he is capable of and the result will be more wins for his team.

Jones is an above the rim rebounder and a coast to coast threat in transition. He can post, hit jumpers to the arc and pick and pop and make plays of the dribble with ease. Jones is a good area rebounder and average shot blocker. He has the athletic ability and lateral foot speed to defend position 2-5 in a defensive switch situation. He runs the floor with great speed and just wows you with some of the plays he makes except these great plays are few and far between.

Jones seems to be a great teammate and team player but he needs to demand the ball and dominate the game the way we have seen him do at times.
            He is going to Baylor

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...%3dperry-jones
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I realize he has a lot of things he needs to work out but so too do most kids that age, which is one of the reasons why the NBA now doesn't allow the jump straight from HS to the NBA and discourages one year and out at the college level. His raw talent is off the charts and going to college, getting groomed there and then transitioning to the NBA and further developing there will allow him to maximize his talents if he puts the work in. Leadership can be taught. Aggression can be taught. I would rather hear that he guy is too selfless than too selfish. And at the end of the day there are a lot of kids who go through high school, who don't dominate and then go on to have amazing ball careers. Michael Jordan got cut from his first high school team. Gilbert Arenas had to kick and scrape to get noticed at every level. Both those guys busted their asses and proved anyone who doubted them wrong. At the same time I can give you a large list of players who did dominate HS and failed miserably at the pro level.

DeRozan looked like a flop for most of his first and only college year only to go off at the end and carry USC further than anyone predicted. Now he's prepping to try and make the same transition in the NBA.

High talent + strong work ethic + the absence of bad luck = great success.
              Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

AJM wrote: View Post
                "The shitty thing is with the lockout looming, this year may be a weak draft with guys staying in college for another season."

My understanding, and I could be 100% wrong:

Coaches/GMs can't have contact with players under an NBA contract. They can still go about their business of scouting and drafting.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I realize he has a lot of things he needs to work out but so too do most kids that age, which is one of the reasons why the NBA now doesn't allow the jump straight from HS to the NBA and discourages one year and out at the college level. His raw talent is off the charts and going to college, getting groomed there and then transitioning to the NBA and further developing there will allow him to maximize his talents if he puts the work in. Leadership can be taught. Aggression can be taught. I would rather hear that he guy is too selfless than too selfish. And at the end of the day there are a lot of kids who go through high school, who don't dominate and then go on to have amazing ball careers. Michael Jordan got cut from his first high school team. Gilbert Arenas had to kick and scrape to get noticed at every level. Both those guys busted their asses and proved anyone who doubted them wrong. At the same time I can give you a large list of players who did dominate HS and failed miserably at the pro level.
                  Better luck hyping Perry Jones than Daniel Orton.

Can you watch Baylor games on TV where you live?

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Better luck hyping Perry Jones than Daniel Orton
                    Orton is going to be a good NBA player. I know, I know, he can't hope to be anywhere close to the immortal Amir Johnson though. I mean, you can't learn to walk on water, you're just born with that sort of ability.

Can you watch Baylor games on TV where you live?
                    Computer. Internet.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

DeRozan looked like a flop for most of his first and only college year only to go off at the end and carry USC further than anyone predicted. Now he's prepping to try and make the same transition in the NBA.

High talent + strong work ethic + the absence of bad luck = great success.
                      +1.

RIght now, Harrison Barnes appears to be the 'safe' pick but Jones is certainly intriguing. The possibility of a 6'11" SF is insane. His jump shot mechanics look a little strange but then again so does Rashad Lewis' and so did Reggie Miller's. I believe Oden was the 'safe' pick in 2007 - lol - which is too bad for the Blazers. If he could actually play 100% they would certainly be a force.

As for the Raps, their needs appear to be at PG, SF, and C. It will be interesting to see what comes of trades and TPE before and possibly during the draft.

Buddah - you are correct in it is hard to follow draft prospects without knowing where teams will end the season. I think top 8 is reasonable for the Raps (don't shoot me!).

Comment

Orton is going to be a good NBA player. I know, I know, he can't hope to be anywhere close to the immortal Amir Johnson though. I mean, you can't learn you walk on water, you're just born with that sort of ability.

Computer. Internet.
                        As far as I cam concerned this will be Johnson's make or break year. There is nothing in his way anymore other than himself. Only time will tell if he will be able to man up and stay on the court. If he can the results will speak for themselves.

Perry - We will be expecting a report weekly from you.

P.S. I have never said that Johnson can walk on water or anything near that. In fact I am more objective about him than fans are about other players that they like.

What you take for walking on water is your emphatic consistent denial of the value of advanced metrics in rating players contribution to a team's success.

That of course is your right to do so. However it is no longer worth the time nor the effort to argue with you or anyone else about it.

It will all play out on the court in 10-11 and I guarantee you if Johnson craps out I will be at the beginning of the line of his biggest critics.

He no longer has any excuses. The time to man up is now period.

Man up or be a bench rotation player for the rest of his career.

We shall see what happens. No point in discussing it any further.
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Sep 25, 2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Perry - We will be expecting a report weekly from you.
                          My rate is $200/hr. We can work out method of payment off-line if you wish.

Comment

i think we should get kyrie irving knowing that we need a pg

Comment

Terrence Jones (Kentucky) is the Raptor's SF of the future- book it.......but by perhaps some miracle TO makes the playoffs in 2010-11 then I would look to SF CJ Leslie(NC State) who is projected to be selected just outside of the Lottery fringes right now.

I know alot of folks wants a pg but with Jose & Jack still on the roster it's not a major need as much as a wing player is currently in my mind unless Jose or Jack is traded then you take either Irving or Knight(my choice) if available.

With TO's 2nd 1st round pick via Miami which may be the last pick in the 1st round I think that right now- as is, you go with the best talent available regardless of position even if it's another PF.

It'll be interesting to see what future moves TO makes playerwise, if they use the Bosh TPE, which players step up and how they do overall record wise this season as they could be a team like Milwaukee that plays tough defense and scraps games out or they could be a team like Minnesota that's just playing through the schedule until the end of the season ie Lottery time. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X