Toronto, Portland Added to Dampier's List of Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    You may have been misinformed about the trade details re: Anderson to the Raptors. The transaction was ostensibly made probably more to get Houston under the cap and resulted in the Rockets sending cash to the Raps (rather than the other way around or a tpe). The second round pick is something that will possibly never be consummated. For further details see.....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7128811.html

As far as I know the Raps continue to hold both the Phoenix and Miami trade TPEs.
    The Raps absorbed the $2.5M on their books with the TPE from PHX.

The cash from Houston was to pay for his contract - they send $2.5M versus have to pay $5M if they keep him.

The 2nd round pick will most likely never be used by HOU but the Raps have to send something to complete the deal. This is why so many deals have (insert player) traded for 2nd round pick in (7 years down the road) if pick is between 51-55. Check out this link to see some of the conditions on second round draft picks used to complete financial motivated trades.

http://realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

Comment

I don't mind picking him up if for nothing else than the experience he brings and what he can help teach the Raptors young bigs. Never discount the value of a veteran around the kids. None of the coaching staff played a frontcourt position and Damp has done it to varying degrees of success on some very good teams.

Best thing to ever happen to Bargs was playing with Jermaine. It was after he spent the last part of the summer and first half of the season working out with JO and playing with him that he improved his D. Amir and Andrea ain't gettin any better working out against David Anderson and Solomn Alabi.
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
        Isn't Dampier basically an older, bulkier version of Amir? A rebounder/defender who's efficient on offence if not asked to do too much. I don't mind a veteran who can play the 5 and crack some heads.
        I'd say he's a bigger, bulkier Reggie. His game is nothing like Amir's, it's more ground based because he never had hops like Amir.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          The guy has been a good rebounder and defender for his career. He could rub off on some of the younger guys. Real benefit would be at trade deadline when he could be packaged as part of a larger deal and/or traded to a contender for some insurance. East and West teams are going to need big bodies to get past BOS in east and LAL in West.

I wonder if that could be one of BC's pitches to him: "Come sign with us. You'll get PT early and we'll try to send you to a contender later."

In reality though, he doesn't fit the bigger picture of the Raps future.

It seems to me, POR would make the most sense given their injury history and their three C's (Camby, Oden, Pryzbilla) and his desire to compete.

The Raps can only offer minimum I believe. DIdn't they use the bi-annual exemption ($1.8M) last year on Nesterovic?
          I agree he has been a decent rebounder/defender in the past, but I don't know if you want a guy mentoring the players who is known for playing hard during contract years and then sort of coasting once he gets the insurance of a garanteed deal. That being said I would still take a chance on him because as average as his career has been, its still better from a defensive and rebounding perspective, than any other center we have on our roster.
          Deadallus

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
            I'd say he's a bigger, bulkier Reggie. His game is nothing like Amir's, it's more ground based because he never had hops like Amir.
            In terms of style, I agree. But he's way more effective and way less of a knucklehead than Reggie. His role is more like Amir's, rebounder at both ends who's counted on to score efficiently, not give the ball up and who can play decent team defence. More of a 5 than either Reggie or Amir.

Reggie's role is simply as an energy player - he makes too many awful decisions to be more than that.

Comment

If Miami passed on him...........

I think that Milwaukee or Portland makes the most sense for him playing time wise plus he gets to go to a very solid playoff team (not a championship team) that has had recent center health issues (Mil- Bogutl/PO- Oden, Pryzbilla, Camby) in the past.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                If Miami passed on him...........

I think that Milwaukee or Portland makes the most sense for him playing time wise plus he gets to go to a very solid playoff team (not a championship team) that has had recent center health issues (Mil- Bogutl/PO- Oden, Pryzbilla, Camby) in the past.
                Portland: Where good big men go to get injured.
                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                  Portland: Where good big men go to get injured.
                  Bill Walton, Sam Bowie......

Comment

STEIN_LINE_HQ

ESPN.com free-agent latest: Two new teams emerge as possible destinations for FA center Erick Dampier ... Chicago and Phoenix less than a minute ago via ÜberTwitter

STEIN_LINE_HQ

Dampier has meeting scheduled w/Bulls while CHI in Dallas to play Mavericks on THURS and also expected to meet w/Suns this week 3 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Oct 6, 2010, 05:17 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Here's the link to the story: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...xt-destination
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Looks like our chances are pretty slim. Which is awesome.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I wouldn't touch Dampier with a 100 foot pole now.....he's just using TO as leverage against other teams.

Comment

not coming anymore, I think he's set for Chicago or Milwaukee

Comment

Dampier Considering Bulls, Raptors, Rockets And Suns

Oct 09, 2010 5:31 PM EST

Erick Dampier left a meeting with the Suns on Friday without a contract, but he is still considering several offers.

In addition to Phoenix, Dampier is also considering Chicago, Houston and Toronto.

The Suns could offer Dampier a contract worth $2.08 million, their biannual exception.

"He's evaluating us and some other teams," Suns coach Alvin Gentry said. "At some point in the near future, I think he'll make a decision.

"When you look at a team like the Lakers, they run (Andrew) Bynum and Pau (Gasol) and Lamar (Odom), a bunch of 7-foot guys, and they added Theo Ratliff. I just think you can't ever have too much size on your team."

Via Arizona Republic

Considering
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The Decision 2

Is there no end to the ego some of these NBA guys harbour?

Dampier should go on National television to make his announcement. I'm sure viewership would be off the charts!

"The Decision Part 2" Who really gives a shit where he goes?

Why would we?
                                Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

Working...
                                X