Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Nash Would Be Back With Team Canada if Triano Was Coach

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nash Would Be Back With Team Canada if Triano Was Coach

    Eventhough Nash is past his prime, these young Canadian prospects playing in the NCAA now could certainly learn lots playing along side Nash on the national team. Not to mention learn lots from Triano who has tons of international coaching experience on top of his NBA coaching years.

    Let's see it happen. Can Rautins and re-hire Triano in the summer's for Canada.

    Nash sang the praises of Raptors coach Jay Triano to Barbosa — “He also said if he was a coach he would have come back,” Barbosa said Nash told him about Triano, referring to the Canadian national team — and tried to welcome him to his country.

    “He definitely said when he comes here he wants to see me,” the guard said. “When he came here, I guess he had a show [during the Toronto International Film Festival], so he put a note on my chair so that was really nice. We’re pretty close.”
    Source - Click here


  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Leo: -glump- Is it hot in here?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vaughn
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thats the right move to begin with, lets be honest here, leo should nvr had been coach to begin with. He had no experience as a coach and was i analyst or w.e. Triano deserves to be the coach end of story, hopefully the canadian basketball association realizes its screw up and fixes this immediatly. Basketball in Canada has regressed since Leo had taken over from Triano'a tenure its rly depressing.

  4. #4
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fuck Nash. The guy gets off scott-free for not playing for his country whereas Jamal Magloire gets destroyed. Why? Because Steve Nash is a "nice guy" so it's OK to do this. This whole bullshit about him being pissed at Team Canada for firing Triano needs to stop and somebody needs to tell Nash that he's not four years old anymore and he should get his ass up and play for his country. Fucking douche.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Fuck Nash. The guy gets off scott-free for not playing for his country whereas Jamal Magloire gets destroyed. Why? Because Steve Nash is a "nice guy" so it's OK to do this. This whole bullshit about him being pissed at Team Canada for firing Triano needs to stop and somebody needs to tell Nash that he's not four years old anymore and he should get his ass up and play for his country. Fucking douche.
    Okay Arsenalist, here's a question: Would YOU play for Rautins? 'cause I think that if I did, I'd go spreewelll on his ass.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's a question for you, Arse: how many times has McGloire played for Team Canada? Hang on, I'm getting out my calculator as we speak...um, 17 + 6, carry the 2, sorry, this won't take long, I'm almost finished...these algebraic problems always baffle me...won't be much longer...o.k., here's the answer: ZERO. Yeah, that's right, a big...fat...zero. And Nash? Only about a dozen times. Not only playing, but contributing money toward his teammates, taking them out to fancy restaurants, the whole gamut. The guy's had a bad back for years, so he wants to take the summers off? Cut him some slack, he's done plenty. McGloire has done bupkus.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Fuck Nash. The guy gets off scott-free for not playing for his country whereas Jamal Magloire gets destroyed. Why? Because Steve Nash is a "nice guy" so it's OK to do this. This whole bullshit about him being pissed at Team Canada for firing Triano needs to stop and somebody needs to tell Nash that he's not four years old anymore and he should get his ass up and play for his country. Fucking douche.
    -------

    Yeah compare a fucking lazy douche whose career has never amounted to anything who never bothered to represent his country to a guy who did half a dozen times and killed himself in the process. That makes sense.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nash was the heart and soul of Canada's 2000 Olympic team, what has Magloire done? As far as I can remember Nash retired, when Triano was fired. However, I would Nash to be with team Canada again, but Canada has a young team with some up and coming point-guards who need all the experience they can get. Nash would be better as a player coach, who can play 10 minutes a game and nurture the young team

  9. #9
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    OTFP, Leez and Marz:

    I'm not comparing the basketball careers of Nash and Magloire, that would be stupid. I just suggest that we view Nash choosing not to participate with Team Canada in the same way as Magloire is doing. Yes, Nash played for his country a while ago and deserves to be credited for that and here I am giving him credit.

    BUT, let's talk about today and right now, not choosing to play for your country because you don't like the coach is being very petty. Can you imagine if Kevin Durant ignored the call-up from Team USA because he didn't like Coach K? He'd get ripped apart for it but Nash is seemingly immune to that kind of criticism.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was just making a joke, but here's a real argument:

    Nash did not say he doesn't like Team Canada's coach. What BARBOSA said was that, if Jay Triano were coach of Team Canada then Nash would play. You *cannot* conclude that means Nash doesn't like Team Canada, its organization, or its coach. What you *can* conclude is that Nash would play for Jay Triano. That could mean anything: they are both very close friends, Triano has pictures of Nash sleeping with Rosie O'Donnel, etc.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    “He also said if he was a coach he would have come back,” Barbosa said Nash told him about Triano
    I believe he was referring to several years ago when Triano was fired from Canada Basketball. This in NO WAY means that if Triano coached today that Nash would be willing to play. The man's 36 - find me any other FIBA example where a A-list NBA player is carrying the load for his National team at that age... Most NBA guys stop playing national ball @ around 30 years old (especially ones expected to carry their respective teams).

    Nash last played for Canada during the 2004 Olympic Qualifiers where he was named Tournament MVP and lead Canada to a 4th place finish (Top 3 qualified). Logically at that time he would have looked forward to the next Olympic games with hesitancy - he would be 34 years old and would still require to single-handedly carry a talent-starved Squad. Triano being fired was likely just the tipping point that made the decision for him. It's ignorant to expect a man approaching middle age to break his back every summer just so that Basketball Canada could boast yearly Preliminary round eliminations....

    Don't be daft.
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Much has been said in support of Nash which I agree with completely. To denigrate Nash is non-sensical given his age, commitment to the Suns a perennial playoff team and at his age/physical problems again. And its not as if Nash never committed to the Canadian team or other efforts that are purely Canadian (like the Terry Fox movie and other charities). More than anything for me he is a terrific ambassador for the country whereever he goes.

    There was some suggestion that he was being petulant about the Triano firing. But what of the circumstances? And its not as if he had anything personally to gain (monetarily or as a player). It was an injustice thing as far as Nash was concerned. To a close friend. That too is one of his innate qualities as an individual and why he spends much time in South America and with causes like Habitat for H. and probably other causes we dont hear of. And all while he was twice mvp of the league.

    For those who forget how the whole Triano thing went down I found an old piece by Feschuk. When his days are done playing I would not be surprised that if becomes coach of Team Canada or even head Basketball Canada.

    http://www.cansoc.org/archive/index.php/t-24310.html

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Fuck Nash. The guy gets off scott-free for not playing for his country whereas Jamal Magloire gets destroyed. Why? Because Steve Nash is a "nice guy" so it's OK to do this. This whole bullshit about him being pissed at Team Canada for firing Triano needs to stop and somebody needs to tell Nash that he's not four years old anymore and he should get his ass up and play for his country. Fucking douche.
    ok, some of thta anger i understand, but, nash being douche what the fuck are you saying?

    the only way to find out is to re-hire triano and see if nash comes. while i admit it's a screw up on both parties, wtf were we thinking when we fired triano?

    we were on the uprise in the national standings and we fired our coach and rubbed and scared some relationships.

    while i agree nash is being a bit selfish, and i don't see why the fuck he wouldn't want to try to win a world championship or gold medal after realizing he can't win a damn thing in phoenix.

    has there really been anything to entice him to come play for canada? he had a good relationship with triano and firing the guy, i man, you could understand that it can be taken as a direct shot in the stones to nash.

    leo ever since becoming coach has driven all our best players away, except for his freakin son, carl english and levon kendall.

    actually come to think of it didn't see english on the team this past worlds. leo is a goon, honestly i'd rather have marc iavoroni be the coach of canada.

    leo is a fucking goon, triano did nothing to deserve to be fired, firing triano was a direct kick to nash's balls, hiring leo rautins slowly just pissed everyone off, and all the sudden were lookingforward to mother fucking 2014!!!!!!!!!!

    wtf, the world is supposed to freakin end in 2012, so were freakin lookin forward to a year that might not even exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!face to palm, punch to head, fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

    nash isn't the problem, the interntional commitee is the problem, who the hell is it richard peddie?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie ShinobiOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    OTFP, Leez and Marz:

    I'm not comparing the basketball careers of Nash and Magloire, that would be stupid. I just suggest that we view Nash choosing not to participate with Team Canada in the same way as Magloire is doing. Yes, Nash played for his country a while ago and deserves to be credited for that and here I am giving him credit.

    BUT, let's talk about today and right now, not choosing to play for your country because you don't like the coach is being very petty. Can you imagine if Kevin Durant ignored the call-up from Team USA because he didn't like Coach K? He'd get ripped apart for it but Nash is seemingly immune to that kind of criticism.
    Firstly lets compare bananas to bananas: The day Team USA employs a TV analyst/ex-player...hmm lets say Mark Jackson for example to coach Team USA, then players like Kevin Durant have a right to pass. The point is moot though since its not really relevant. Nobody said Nash wasn't playing because of Rautins. He took exception to Triano being fired because of their friendship (and backed him up, showing his character) plus the dude was in his mid-30s with a variety of injuries and after many hard seasons with the Suns.

    IMO Nash has paid his dues to the National Squad after multiple times leading the team and owes them nothing. If he wants to save his body instead of killing himself, thats his perogative. And nobody can say shit about it.
    To mention Jamal Magloire in the same breath as Nash is just silly!

    I would love to see Nash play again for Canada, but it is not likely and Im fine with that.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    ok, some of thta anger i understand, but, nash being douche what the fuck are you saying?

    the only way to find out is to re-hire triano and see if nash comes. while i admit it's a screw up on both parties, wtf were we thinking when we fired triano?

    we were on the uprise in the national standings and we fired our coach and rubbed and scared some relationships.

    while i agree nash is being a bit selfish, and i don't see why the fuck he wouldn't want to try to win a world championship or gold medal after realizing he can't win a damn thing in phoenix.

    has there really been anything to entice him to come play for canada? he had a good relationship with triano and firing the guy, i man, you could understand that it can be taken as a direct shot in the stones to nash.

    leo ever since becoming coach has driven all our best players away, except for his freakin son, carl english and levon kendall.

    actually come to think of it didn't see english on the team this past worlds. leo is a goon, honestly i'd rather have marc iavoroni be the coach of canada.

    leo is a fucking goon, triano did nothing to deserve to be fired, firing triano was a direct kick to nash's balls, hiring leo rautins slowly just pissed everyone off, and all the sudden were lookingforward to mother fucking 2014!!!!!!!!!!

    wtf, the world is supposed to freakin end in 2012, so were freakin lookin forward to a year that might not even exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!face to palm, punch to head, fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

    nash isn't the problem, the interntional commitee is the problem, who the hell is it richard peddie?
    I don't mean to go off-topic here, but since we are looking in the past, wasn't the world suppose to end in 2000 b/c of some Y2K bullshit??

    As far as I'm concerned, the world could end tommorrow. How the hell can you, "scientists" or anyone else say otherwise? No one, and I mean NO ONE can predict when the earth will "expire", or if it even will. so don't come here with your fuckin Mayanist crap and tell me "the world is supposed to freakin end in 2012".

    That seriously gets on my nerve when people say that, as a joke I can take it but it sounds like you think thats really going to happen, well guess what buddy? the world could end tommorrow, was that suppose to FREAKIN happen??!

    Once again for everyone else, sorry to go a little off base, as for Nash, yeah he is dick but who cares, wasn't going to win us a championship or an olympic gold on his own anyways.....
    Last edited by matt; Thu Sep 30th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nash had been playing for team Canada for YEARS. I remember him playing for Canada at the 1994 Worlds when it was held in Toronto. It can get taxing as your get older to play balls-out in the summer and then have to do it again as training camp rolls around.
    I know he had a very good realtionship with Triano, but if Jay did come back to coach, I don't believe Steve would play. Not for a second.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •