Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dampier Visting Toronto Later in the Week

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't mind Damp coming here. With the investment we've made in Bargs, Damp who'll get the vet's min. is a small price to pay to find out how Bargnani fairs at PF. Damp would mostly likeyl be the 1st sub for Amir/Ed come off the bench while Barg's moves to the 5. The result of Barg's playing at PF (his natural position) will let us know what we need to do with our future cap space. If he does amazing, we know we need to use the TPE or future cap room to acquire a legit center. If he does shit, we move him back to centre or ship him out. Damp allows us to test this out.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Stine Milwaukee is out of the "Dampier" sweep-stakes since they just signed Brian Skinner(who?) to a non-guaranteed contract and have 20 people in camp (overkill).

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol who cares i would rather give those minuets to amir johnson

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

...and Reggie Evans

perhaps Dampier can do for us/Bargnani what he did for Dallas/Nowitzki.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

BC should have went after Skinner as he's a veteran big man who can bang in the paint off of the bench plus he's low maintenance.

Dampier just wants to miss training camp because he's out of shape, one of the reasons why Miami didn't sign him plus Magloire work him over in a workout as per reports.

Bargnani is no Nowitzki- not even close.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems it is being ignored that the reason they're even looking for ANYBODY right now is that Davis is out and Alabi is recovering. Whomever they sign will be an extra body/insurance guy, not expected to be a saviour. Most of the other names mentioned the other day (Brezec) aren't even being considered if Davis hadn't hurt his knee.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we should ask ourselves what the risk of signing Dampier is. None, unless we blow our TPE on him. Davis and Alabi are expected to be ready before the season starts, or maybe a week or so after. They're going to need some time to get it going, so I suppose Dampier would provide some insurance. It's just such a blah signing that I have to be against it.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I guess we should ask ourselves what the risk of signing Dampier is. None, unless we blow our TPE on him. Davis and Alabi are expected to be ready before the season starts, or maybe a week or so after. They're going to need some time to get it going, so I suppose Dampier would provide some insurance. It's just such a blah signing that I have to be against it.
    Insurance against what? Avoiding finishing last? I'd rather be less deep and force the young guys to play and learn how to stay on the court. It was tough, but worked wonders for Bosh in his rookie season, when we were thin at C.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
    BC should have went after Skinner as he's a veteran big man who can bang in the paint off of the bench plus he's low maintenance.

Dampier just wants to miss training camp because he's out of shape, one of the reasons why Miami didn't sign him plus Magloire work him over in a workout as per reports.

Bargnani is no Nowitzki- not even close.
    I understand that apart from the availability of Magloire, Ilgauskas & Anthony to handle the centre spot there was something political as well....Magloire being Wade's man, Z being James's and Anthony just signing a multi yr. deal. Riley wouldnt want to upset those two now!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I understand that apart from the availability of Magloire, Ilgauskas & Anthony to handle the centre spot there was something political as well....Magloire being Wade's man, Z being James's and Anthony just signing a multi yr. deal. Riley wouldnt want to upset those two now!
    Fair enough.

But reports that I read mentioned that he was out of shape thus he wouldn't sign with another team until after the first week (two a days) of training camp so whoever signs him will most likely have to get him into NBA playing shape afterwards.

With Milwaukee signing Skinner yesterday reports are that they may now not want Dampier while TO & maybe Houston are the last 2 teams allegedly in the running for his services.

Post Thanks / Like

"Dampier Sweepstakes"
    Ugh.... that imply's a "winner" - in this case the lucky team who gets Damp is like a guy who "got lucky" and woke up the next morning with an uncomfortable itch....
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Post Thanks / Like

Who the Fuck gives a damn, is he a rockstar or something? why does this have to be news??!

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric has arrived at the ACC checking the place out but not talking with any media

Erick Dampier is here at the ACC ...but he is not talking to the media and has NOT been signed by Toronto. He's simply visiting the Raptors
    http://api.twitter.com/Eric__Smith
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm going to slap the red ink out of you.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/e...=Google+Reader

UPDATE ON DAMPIER

Word is that Erick Dampier was impressed with what he heard and saw from the Toronto Raptors but he left town without giving any real indication of when he might make a decision regarding his next NBA home.

The 14-year vet is scheduled to meet with the Houston Rockets and it is believed that the Texas town and T.O. are the final choices/options on the big man’s list.

Dampier spent Thursday night dining with Toronto’s management team … and the Raptors new Director of Player Personnel, Alvin Williams (who attended the dinner as well) told me on the FAN 590 earlier today that he believes Dampier’s experience, size, rebounding, and shot-blocking abilities could be invaluable to the Raps.

You can listen to my chat with Williams here:
    http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...1_104808_12828
    Last edited by jbml; Sat Oct 2nd, 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information