My Sense is Jose Will Continue as the Starting PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Sense is Jose Will Continue as the Starting PG

As some of you may recall the Raptors finished 09-10 with Jose as the starting PG.

In fact he started the last 17 games next season

Jose Calderon Game Log 09-10

Yesterday in the scrimmage he worked well with Kleiza and DeRozan, two players who 4sure Triano is looking to score in 10-11.

Meantime the the team in black uniforms led by Jack struggled to score a point a minute..

My sense is that at this time Bargnani and Johnson will slide over to join the Calderon, Kleiza and DeRozan to comprise the starting unit.

We will know more Wednesday.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I enjoy Jose running a team -- he is a poor man's Nash to me -- and a couple of years ago I thought he had potential to reach Nash status --- but all that is pipe dream now with his nagging injuries -- but he's still a good PG. If the Suns could live with Nash's defensive deficiencies, I am sure the Raps can manage nearly as well. I don't know why but I am also slightly excited to see the fitter Marcus Banks.

I'm anxious to see any video highlights from the scrimmage yesterday... anyone got any links? thanks!
    Last edited by Jaworski; Mon Oct 4, 2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

We all know Jose is a team guy...people are blinded by his team skillset due to his lack of defensive skills :/

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
        people are blinded by his team skillset due to his lack of defensive skills :/
        Which, as has been debated ad absurdium, appear much worse on the Raps than they would on a team with the ability to provide decent help D. If Bargs and Johnson can learn to defend the paint effectively as a unit, Jose's defensive inadequacies might not be the subject of so much scrutiny. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Jose is still apparently favoring his injury from FIBA as per Triano. The Spanish X Ray can't seem to stay healthy. I'm really tired of Jose' lack of defense ability- Jose needs to go ASAP & take Bargnani with you. Jose is an injury prone pg who can't play 82 games- point blank.

The Raptor's are going nowhere fast this season so it really doesn't matter who starts at point this season still Jack is much a better choice than Jose in my mind as a starter fot TO this season especially if Jay says he wants his guards to pressure the ball.

Remember Jose non-reaction in the Pierce/Bosh incident? Walk on by:

Last edited by SirChillyMost; Mon Oct 4, 2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

"Remember Jose non-reaction in the Pierce/Bosh incident?"

but don't take that non-reaction out of context.

Comment

Here is my reasoning.

1. Calderon started the last 17 games in 09-10

2. Triano said that he was going to put in a number of International style plays. Calderon is far more familiar with these type of plays than Jack. If I recall correctly even has at least one Gold medal running the offense of a Gold medal winning team.

3. Two of the most likely three top scorers for the 10-11 Raptors; i.e. Bargnani and Kleiza have had a great deal of success on offense playing for teams that run the International style offensives; i.e., Italy and Lithuanian national teams respectively.

4. Johnson has a better on floor chemistry with Calderon than he does with Jack.

5. Johnson will start because Triano likes the Johnson and Bargnani pairing.

6. DeRozan will benefit more by playing with a true PG like Calderon than he will by playing with a combo guard like Jack. The reason is that DeRozan still needs to improve his handles to the point where he doesn't have to rely so much on being fed the ball in a shooting position in the half court offense in order to score. Calderon can do a better job of this than Jack can.

7. Jack is not a better defender than Calderon except against the P&R. What the Raptors gain their by playing Jack with the other starters does not make up what they would lose on offense by starting Jack.

Remember, last season the Raptors had Bosh who could create his own shot and get to the foul line so it was not that important to have a very good passer on the starting unit. This season's roster and style of play on offense will benefit a lot more on offense by having a true point guard with a very high career Assist/Turnover ratio, like Calderon does starting.

I think that benefit will more than outweigh Jack's ability to defend the P&R better than Calderon can.

Just my opinion
              Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Oct 4, 2010, 04:08 PM.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Cant afford to start Calderon unless he gives you alot more than 10 PPG

Comment

Looking good

Comment

your sense was wrong and now you have to change religion.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
                      I enjoy Jose running a team -- he is a poor man's Nash to me -- and a couple of years ago I thought he had potential to reach Nash status --- but all that is pipe dream now with his nagging injuries -- but he's still a good PG. If the Suns could live with Nash's defensive deficiencies, I am sure the Raps can manage nearly as well. I don't know why but I am also slightly excited to see the fitter Marcus Banks.

I'm anxious to see any video highlights from the scrimmage yesterday... anyone got any links? thanks!
                      He's more like a poor mans Luke Ridnour and his "nagging" injuries had nothing to do with that being a pipe dream...

Comment

Working...
                      X