Noah Deal Shows Value of Amir Signing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah Deal Shows Value of Amir Signing

The Chicago Tribune reported the deal is worth about US$11 million annually with incentives that could take it higher.

The Globe And Mail
    Lets compare and keep in mind That Amir is 2 years younger and his contract is 1/2 yes HALF the cost of Noah's Approx 5.5 mill per

Amir 6 pts. 5 rebs 1 blk 17.7 mpg (of course playing mostly behind all star bosh)
    Noah 11pts 11 reb 1.5 blk 30mpg

bigger role more confidence and taking fewer fouls will show the value of this deal. Much of what Amir does to help raps does not even show up in stat line yet. He is their best one on one defender and plays very hard.

"I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

I'd take Noah at 11Mil over Amir at 5 any day. Noah is not just about stats. His hussle, his energy, his rebounding and defense, he plays it all out every night, and his stats surely don't do him justice. Noah is second best center in the league behind Dwight IMO.

Comment

Remember when Noah did his little dance after winning the NCAAs and everybody thought he was a clown?

I always thought he had an awesome attitude.
      And look at him now.
      One of the top 5 centers in the league fo sho.

Comment

Based upon last season's play by Noah and Johnson and the players on the their respective rosters the Hainline Player Swap Calculator shows that if the Raptors had traded Johnson for Noah at the beginning of last season they would have lost 4 games than they actually did.

The Bulls on the other hand would have won 4 more games last season.

The actual numbers are -3.8 for the Raptors and +4.2 for the Bulls. The Calculator takes into account the other players on the team. So Amir would have fit a little better in with the Bulls lineup than he did with the Raptors.

Hainline PSC
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
          I'd take Noah at 11Mil over Amir at 5 any day. Noah is not just about stats. His hussle, his energy, his rebounding and defense, he plays it all out every night, and his stats surely don't do him justice. Noah is second best center in the league behind Dwight IMO.
          Amir plays with energy and hussle as well. Noah and his crap for 11M. No way. Second best centre? Hell no. I like the Amir signing, I think Chicago caved when they shouldn't have. Another budding KMart here.

Comment

Apples & oranges. Noah plays centre (mostly) while Amir plays pf (mostly). In this league a centre with Noah's skills and intimidation is much more valuable. And the Bulls know it. They refused to deal Noah for Carmelo.

Would anyone trade Bargs for Noah straightup ? Thats a better comparative...position and salary.
            Last edited by Bendit; Mon Oct 4, 2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
              Amir plays with energy and hussle as well. Noah and his crap for 11M. No way. Second best centre? Hell no. I like the Amir signing, I think Chicago caved when they shouldn't have. Another budding KMart here.
              It seems to me, ye ole conspiracy guy here that the Bulls fell victim to the ESPN hype machine. ESPN/ABC and even TNT love Noah. He was on national TV tons of times last season. The Raptors got on NBA/TV less than a handful of times.

Noah and his agent could demand more because ESPN/ABC's hype of Noah created more value for him than say if he had played for the Raptors last season.

The networks have loved him since his Florida school beat the Bruins in the NCAA tournament a few years back.

Is he worth $11 million a year?

He created 6.2 Win Shares last season for a cost per Win Share of about $1.8 million.

Johnson created 4.5 Win Shares last season so he will cost the Raptors about $1.1 million per Win Share created based upon last season's numbers.

Of course there is the "Revenue Value" amount. There is not doubt that Noah brings in a lot more revenue for the Bulls team than Johnson does for the Raptors. However, I have no way of quantifying that part of the equation.

Noah
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                Amir is replaceable, Noah isn't. And which center is better than Noah? Anyways you can't look into stats here, how he affects the game, how he improves the Bulls. Finding a center like Noah takes decades, a decent, rebounding PF, nearly every draft has one.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  Based upon last season's play by Noah and Johnson and the players on the their respective rosters the Hainline Player Swap Calculator shows that if the Raptors had traded Johnson for Noah at the beginning of last season they would have lost 4 games than they actually did.

The Bulls on the other hand would have won 4 more games last season.

The actual numbers are -3.8 for the Raptors and +4.2 for the Bulls. The Calculator takes into account the other players on the team. So Amir would have fit a little better in with the Bulls lineup than he did with the Raptors.

Hainline PSC
                  I don't think it would have fared that way in reality. Noah is a far greater and more important player than Amir will ever be. Bulls wouldn't be a play-off team without Noah.

Comment

Thats a little pricey I think but who are we to judge? Bargs is being paid an average of 10 million over the next 5 years, so I guess in comparison you could say its a good deal.

Comment

Amir is replaceable, Noah isn't. And which center is better than Noah? Anyways you can't look into stats here, how he affects the game, how he improves the Bulls. Finding a center like Noah takes decades, a decent, rebounding PF, nearly every draft has one.
                      You have been brain washed by the ESPN/ABC hype machine.

Suggested method for correction:

Avoid listening to ESPN/ABC basketball related broadcasts and shows and avoid ESPN's basketball website for a full season.

You will then start to see NCAA and NBA basketball from its true perspective. You will become emancipated and set free

Comment

You have been brain washed by the ESPN/ABC hype machine.

Suggested method for correction:

Avoid listening to ESPN/ABC basketball related broadcasts and shows and avoid ESPN's basketball website for a full season.

You will then start to see NCAA and NBA basketball from its true perspective. You will become emancipated and set free
                        C'mon, Noah is AT LEAST double the player Amir is. Noah can defend extremely well, can rebound extremely well, can block shots extremely well, is pretty quick for a 7 footer, plays his heart out every game. Has great experience (Gators + Bulls), has actually played an entire basketball game.
                        If we could trade our first round pick, Miami's first round pick, Amir and Reggie for Noah would you do it?

Comment

C'mon, Noah is AT LEAST double the player Amir is. Noah can defend extremely well, can rebound extremely well, can block shots extremely well, is pretty quick for a 7 footer, plays his heart out every game. Has great experience (Gators + Bulls), has actually played an entire basketball game.
                          If we could trade our first round pick, Miami's first round pick, Amir and Reggie for Noah would you do it?
                          Good try but what your trade really amounts to is Amir for Noah.

Would I do it?

Not at this point

If Amir craps out in 10-11, which is always possible then I will say at the end of 10-11 that I would do it.

If on the other hand Amir "Mans Up" in 10-11 then there is no way I would trade him for Noah.

We shall see.

Got to give it all 82 regular season games.

I won't count the playoffs, say what? because Noah has more playoff experience at this time.

Comment

He created 6.2 Win Shares last season for a cost per Win Share of about $1.8 million.

Johnson created 4.5 Win Shares last season so he will cost the Raptors about $1.1 million per Win Share created based upon last season's numbers.
                            I'm no fan of Mark Cuban, but the guy owns a team and is known to be rather quantitative with certain things. I won't pretend to know more than he does about running an NBA team, or even evaluating NBA talent. Therefore, here is what I think is a pretty definitive last word on the value of "stats". In case anyone doesn't care to link through, when viewed independently of chemistry and coaching they're useless and pretty much meaningless.

http://blogmaverick.com/2010/10/03/b...og+maverick%29

Comment

"He created 6.2 Win Shares last season for a cost per Win Share of about $1.8 million.

Johnson created 4.5 Win Shares last season so he will cost the Raptors about $1.1 million per Win Share created based upon last season's numbers."
                              -------

ha ha this is such ludicrous stat crunching bullsh*t

Comment

Working...
                              X