If we lose Bosh, can Bargs be the franchise? - Lessons from Dirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we lose Bosh, can Bargs be the franchise? - Lessons from Dirk

This gives me some hope that Bargnani can pick up his game with time, crazy effort, and good coaching:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/col...4747343″

I found it interesting to note that Dirk’s primary role in the beginning was what Bargnani’s is now – stand at the three, spread the floor. He was the third option behind Nash, and Finley - now he is the first, and he is the clutchest of all clutch players in the league now. I think one of the big reasons is that his game starts at the elbows now, where he can pass, shoot or drive from a prime position.

If Bosh leaves, maybe that is the cue for Bargs to step it up. There is hope for Bargs yet. If he can move his game in around the elbows and add a slight fade to his shot, then maybe he can be our next Dirk when Bosh leaves??? I know, I know...it would be nice though, eh? At the least, I think Bargnani can work on a face up game closer to the rim - this driving from the three only works 25% of the time.

And if Bargs does take this next step, then we can all bitch and moan that Bargnani doesn't have someone like Bosh to play alongside to grab boards and box out.
    Yes
    14.29%
    No
    85.71%

verbatim wrote: View Post
    This gives me some hope that Bargnani can pick up his game with time, crazy effort, and good coaching:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/col...4747343″

I found it interesting to note that Dirk’s primary role in the beginning was what Bargnani’s is now – stand at the three, spread the floor. He was the third option behind Nash, and Finley - now he is the first, and he is the clutchest of all clutch players in the league now. I think one of the big reasons is that his game starts at the elbows now, where he can pass, shoot or drive from a prime position.

If Bosh leaves, maybe that is the cue for Bargs to step it up. There is hope for Bargs yet. If he can move his game in around the elbows and add a slight fade to his shot, then maybe he can be our next Dirk when Bosh leaves??? I know, I know...it would be nice though, eh? At the least, I think Bargnani can work on a face up game closer to the rim - this driving from the three only works 25% of the time.

And if Bargs does take this next step, then we can all bitch and moan that Bargnani doesn't have someone like Bosh to play alongside to grab boards and box out.
    Dirk had a much better mid-range game and put the ball on the floor a lot more effectively than Bargs has demonstrated in 4 years. Also, running iso's for Bargs is usually not a good idea because his shot doesnt have as high an arc as Dirk which makes him really effective in double-team scenarios.

I think Bargs gets unfairly compared to Dirk because he's from Europe... a better comparison would be Keith van Horn, another 7 footer with a sweet stroke-- very effective on a championship contending team (NJ Nets) but not exactly a franchise player.

If we start to build around Bargs, we'll be like the Timberwolves building around Al Jefferson.

Comment

If we trade bosh to the warriors for Anthony Randolph+something else....we get:
      Vince-like in DeMar DeRozen
      Chris Bosh-like in Anthony Randolph
      and
      Dirk-like in Andrea Bargnani

Comment

He is not at that level yet and I don't think he'll be able to get there. He'll be a good player, he'll be a really good player with a good post center and a good wing man. JMO
        Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

If Bargnani is the best player on the team ... the Raptors are a 10 win team.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

Bargnani is not that Dirk-like, but I do think he can be a franchise player if he. His shot doesn't arc up like dirks and he doesn't fade at all but he is a good deal faster than Dirk especially on the first step. I think if you did move him up to the elbow he will become a much better offensive player. He also does seem to have good passing skills so we might see a bit more of that if he plays deeper. Also, his midranged game (like abstract said) needs development but then we havn't seen him use it that much because he's been out at the three point line his whole career. If we lose Bosh, look for them to try this.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

"If we lose Bosh..." Scratch that, "When we lose Bosh..."

Comment

I think it all comes down to leadership. Bargnani is in a similar situation as Bosh was in the year that Carter was traded. Bosh was developing his game, we knew he had talent but were unsure how good he was going to be. We also had no way of knowing how good a leader he could be because he was never asked to fill that role. There are a large amount of question marks surrounding Bargnani, just like there was for Bosh. I think the best answer for this question was the best answer then, it would be nice if they got a star with strong character for their current star player. Now that didn't happen back then but Colangelo is in a stronger position than Babcock was in with Carter and Colangelo is highly respected where as Babcock was not.

Comment

bargnani will NEVER be a franchise. he's been in the league for like 5 years now, minimal improvements overall, any player who is a franchise or potential franchise does not need 5 years to become one, you can tell in their game and attitude and bargnani lacks both to be a franchise.

He is a bench forward on a good team and a starting PF/C on bad teams. if bargnani is your franchise you are doomed for failure. its very simple.

Comment

If we feel that Bargnani can be a franchise player, then we should come to a conclusion that if Jason Kapono was 7 feet tall, he too should have would have been a franchise player. nuff said.

get rid of that tool, we need a banger, not a cute jumpshooter.

Comment

i am curious where all the pro-Bargnani people are?

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
                        Dirk had a much better mid-range game and put the ball on the floor a lot more effectively than Bargs has demonstrated in 4 years. Also, running iso's for Bargs is usually not a good idea because his shot doesnt have as high an arc as Dirk which makes him really effective in double-team scenarios.

I think Bargs gets unfairly compared to Dirk because he's from Europe... a better comparison would be Keith van Horn, another 7 footer with a sweet stroke-- very effective on a championship contending team (NJ Nets) but not exactly a franchise player.

If we start to build around Bargs, we'll be like the Timberwolves building around Al Jefferson.
                        Could we please get Al Jefferson! Paired with Bargs we'd be looking good.
                        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                          i am curious where all the pro-Bargnani people are?

One!
                          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve - do you think that Bargs can make the step from the #3 option on a team, like Dirk was, move his game inside from the 3pt line, and just nail that elbow/freethrow line jumper?

Dirk's effectiveness is his ability to create just enough space to get a high-arched shot over any defender. This, I perceive is what it would take for Bargs to take the next step. I don't know what the ability to put the ball on the floor does when you are 7 ft that is such a great advantage, especially against defenders like Kevin Love who can keep up.

So, brothersteve, can he take the next step? Does he need to move his game inside the 3pt line? What is missing from the puzzle that is Bargs that would push him over the top?

Comment

Working...
                            X