Charlotte PG Woes Exposed Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He has 2 years left at $9M per season. However, 2011-12 is a player option.

Barbosa is in the same point - $7.1M this season, $7.6M next but is a player option.

With a hard cap most definitely coming, I can see BC saying to both 4yr/$20M each. At 28 and 29 years of age, it might not be a bad move for them longer term despite giving up some money next year.

A lockout makes all this idle jibberish though.
    I think that's not allowed by Stern. But SA pulled it off.

Comment

I tend to agree to the "let's wait and see what we have" approach. We definetly don't need Diaw right now, and we still don't know if Diaw contract is better than keeping Calderon.

Comment

pistol pete wrote: View Post
        I tend to agree to the "let's wait and see what we have" approach. We definetly don't need Diaw right now, and we still don't know if Diaw contract is better than keeping Calderon.
        I would trade Calderon in a heartbeat straight up for Diaw - as I've typed many times before. Maybe if CHA gets really desparate they might throw in a second round pick.

From a basketball perspective, having a second unit with Diaw and Barbosa would create many match up problems. Diaw is extremely versatile on offense and used to be on defense, if he got his weight down I'm sure he would again. At Barbosa's best he averaged around 4 assists a game, same with Diaw. That is good second unit production from the play makers, albeit combined.

From a financial perspective, Calderon at 3 years and 9/9.8/10.6. Diaw has 1 year at 9M and a player option of 1 year at 9M.

From a health perspective, Calderon has missed 26 games the last 2 seasons and 32 games the last 4. Diaw has missed 2 games in 4 seasons.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I would trade Calderon in a heartbeat straight up for Diaw - as I've typed many times before. Maybe if CHA gets really desparate they might throw in a second round pick.

From a basketball perspective, having a second unit with Diaw and Barbosa would create many match up problems. Diaw is extremely versatile on offense and used to be on defense, if he got his weight down I'm sure he would again. At Barbosa's best he averaged around 4 assists a game, same with Diaw. That is good second unit production from the play makers, albeit combined.

From a financial perspective, Calderon at 3 years and 9/9.8/10.6. Diaw has 1 year at 9M and a player option of 1 year at 9M.

From a health perspective, Calderon has missed 26 games the last 2 seasons and 32 games the last 4. Diaw has missed 2 games in 4 seasons.
          Well said.

Comment

You guys would settle for Diaw to save about $11.4M? I say we let Jose play it out. If he really is as bad as Diaw this season, then you pull the trade to save $.

Comment

hold out for something better

at first I was all for Calderon for Diaw, but I changed my mind. Right now I say no, the value of Calderon is going up, the value of Diaw is going down for now. If I'm colangelo the only way I make that trade now is 2 for 1 Calderon and Evans for Diaw (3 team trade and get a 2nd round pick back as well) or I get a 1st round draft pick as well in return straight up. I'm willing to bet that Charlotte is trying to peddle a Diaw and Carroll trade for Calderon and Evans. No way I'm falling for that bs without at least a 1st round pick, maybe a 1st and 2nd coming our way as well. I'm looking at that Charlotte team in preseason saying to myself, no way they are making the playoffs. They have 1 of the weakest benches in the league if not the weakest and no point guards. Augustin is playing like a shooting guard, not a point guard and Henderson is playing well as a shooting guard. Augustin guy has 2 assists at the half tonight. Gerald Wallace has twice as many as that. The only pieces charlotte have to dangle in a trade is Augustin and Diaw and/or picks. They need to make this trade alot more than we do. Get a 1st rounder as well or watch Charlotte tank either way I'm good.

Comment

rockstar rob wrote: View Post
                at first I was all for Calderon for Diaw, but I changed my mind. Right now I say no, the value of Calderon is going up, the value of Diaw is going down for now. If I'm colangelo the only way I make that trade now is 2 for 1 Calderon and Evans for Diaw (3 team trade and get a 2nd round pick back as well) or I get a 1st round draft pick as well in return straight up. I'm willing to bet that Charlotte is trying to peddle a Diaw and Carroll trade for Calderon and Evans. No way I'm falling for that bs without at least a 1st round pick, maybe a 1st and 2nd coming our way as well. I'm looking at that Charlotte team in preseason saying to myself, no way they are making the playoffs. They have 1 of the weakest benches in the league if not the weakest and no point guards. Augustin is playing like a shooting guard, not a point guard and Henderson is playing well as a shooting guard. Augustin guy has 2 assists at the half tonight. Gerald Wallace has twice as many as that. The only pieces charlotte have to dangle in a trade is Augustin and Diaw and/or picks. They need to make this trade alot more than we do. Get a 1st rounder as well or watch Charlotte tank either way I'm good.
                They won't get a 2011 or 2013 1st round pick out of CHA as they owe their 2012 to Chicago and league rules state can't trade 1st round pick two years in a row. They might be able to offer a switch of first round picks or a second round pick in any deal.

It would be nice to see Calderon raise his value but my only concern is the injuries. As we saw this summer, he can go down at any time.

For some reason I get the impression BC won't be doing anything to help out MJ unless Toronto REALLY benefits from it.

Comment

Another poor showing for CHA PG's. Livingston is out with knee soreness and to be fair Tyrus Thomas did not play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=301009015

Comment

Things are turning out from worse to ugly for Charlotte. If you add up the money they spent on scrubs, they might as well should've traded for Calderon in the summer time. I'm not saying it's happening anytime soon but Jose will end up in Charlotte. BC doesn't even need to play hardball on this one. A straight swap for Diaw is all the financial flexibility and player needs BC requires from MJ. In the end, BC will get his man. I really feel that outside of Diaw's weight issues, he's versatile enough to play in this league and has been for years. I see this as a no-lose for the Raps, whether Diaw works out for the team or not. With one PG out of the way, this may open up a possibility for Banks for some minutes. He really played well for the Raps when asked to. I dunno why everyone hates him.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Things are turning out from worse to ugly for Charlotte. If you add up the money they spent on scrubs, they might as well should've traded for Calderon in the summer time. I'm not saying it's happening anytime soon but Jose will end up in Charlotte. BC doesn't even need to play hardball on this one. A straight swap for Diaw is all the financial flexibility and player needs BC requires from MJ. In the end, BC will get his man. I really feel that outside of Diaw's weight issues, he's versatile enough to play in this league and has been for years. I see this as a no-lose for the Raps, whether Diaw works out for the team or not. With one PG out of the way, this may open up a possibility for Banks for some minutes. He really played well for the Raps when asked to. I dunno why everyone hates him.
                      Honestly I don't see Banks getting minutes unless it is a blowout or injury occurs, even if this trade went down. I think what you would see is a second unit that looks like this:

Barbosa
                      Weems
                      Diaw
                      Johnson/Davis
                      Anderson

Comment

Working...
                      X