Carlesimo + YGZ® = Stiffling D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlesimo + YGZ® = Stiffling D

If you enjoyed that brand of high octane rabid defense you saw last night look no further than the man Seton Hall Named as "Coach of the Century" AKA PJ Carlisimo.

Who woulda-thunk-it Jack and Calderon playing 6 min/per guy in each quarter? rather than 10-12 with prolonged play and rest. Its brilliant - you gotta use what you have. They will still be in tough to make play-offs but one thing Raps fans wont stomach is a team that is limp wristed about playing D.

Raps don't have go to guy for buckets - expect much of the offense to be generated of turnovers and hustle. NCAA style full and half court presses. That is Carlisimo's specialty. He won in NCAA with Seaton Hall and in NBA with Spurs. PJ knows "D".

They have the perfect mix of guys to game plan like this
    Fringe NBA:
    Dupree
    Dorsey
    Evans
    Andersen
    J Wright
    Weems (up until recently but is also playing for contract)

Young guys who want to make their mark and are not complacent NBA vets (ahem #Hedo)
    Ed davis
    Amir Johnson
    Jarret Jack
    Alabi
    DeRozen

Kleiza and Calderon are already guys who enjoy hustle so that leaves Bargs and Barbosa needed to feed off the atmosphere of hunger created by this group.
    Last edited by charlz; Thu Oct 7, 2010, 04:57 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

I'll get back to this thread 20 games into the regular season and see what the situation is in relation to the Raptor's defense.

Comment

Remember last year's season opener vs the Cavs? The raps played their asses off and I remember thinking to myself 'damn, if they play this hard all season they could do some good things'. That effort level lasted about 3 games.

As the post above me says, you can't really judge a team's character until at least a quarter of the way into the regular season.

Comment

perhaps we can enjoy this short-lived rare ecstatic experience for this season till we meet the c**tics on sunday.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
          I'll get back to this thread 20 games into the regular season and see what the situation is in relation to the Raptor's defense.
          thats what i was thinking cant judge a whole lot about the D after one game even though they played incredible man to man D with good ball pressure last night against a team that can score. still, way too early need a regular season sample to judge that game meant nothing to the suns.

Comment

Hold on...Calderon "enjoys hustle"?

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
              i get back 10 games after the all-star break.

they are shit the first twenty barely lose from there to the all-star break then flunk. at least that was last year's team, well see if the formula has changed.

really coach of the century after one preseason game, a given we absolutely demolished them but, how do we know tyha suns aren't just shit?
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                Hold on...Calderon "enjoys hustle"?
                Don't mistake poor quickness on D for a lack of hustle, Calderon has always been one of the hardest playing guys on the Raps' roster.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
                  perhaps we can enjoy this short-lived rare ecstatic experience for this season till we meet the c**tics on sunday.
                  holy, jeez just say it already the celtics. it's not like they go the r**ptors, they don't, well thye prolly call us the craptors but w/e.

just say the darn name it's stupid with the asterix's like it's a swear.

the only time you can really do it is if we are always tight with them for the division lead every yearfor a few years and then a two sided rivalry heats up where celtics fans actually notice that we're in their division too.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                    Remember last year's season opener vs the Cavs? The raps played their asses off and I remember thinking to myself 'damn, if they play this hard all season they could do some good things'. That effort level lasted about 3 games.

As the post above me says, you can't really judge a team's character until at least a quarter of the way into the regular season.
                    I tmay not happen over the long run but last year it was certainly not going to happen.

-Turk (gone)- lazy terrible defender/ terrible rebounder / no intensity / no desire
                    -Beli (gone)- would never conform to any type of game plan
                    -Bosh (gone) - started mailing it in after all star break
                    -Wright (gone)- too injured but was good defender hustle guy when he could string together a few healthy games
                    -Patrick O'Bryant (gone) - too lazy/ cant defend/ wont hustle / cant rebound/ would never work in new system
                    -Rasho (gone) - too old to slow - would never work in new system
                    -Calderon - under old system defensive weakness was more glaring - maybe short bursts will help?

Thats the bulk of the rotation gone - those guys would never have sustained this type of defense and rebounds. I am not saying they will for sure this time around - but I expect them to play much harder and defend much better - the current personnel is more conducive to such an ideal.
                    Last edited by charlz; Thu Oct 7, 2010, 04:55 PM.
                    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      holy, jeez just say it already the celtics. it's not like they go the r**ptors, they don't, well thye prolly call us the craptors but w/e.

just say the darn name it's stupid with the asterix's like it's a swear.

I believe one of the posters on this site coined them the C**tics after the Garnett vs Calderon game and it is a swear. As in the See-You-Next-Tuesday-ICS. Fitting really.
                      When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Sirharrywilly

Where's your attitude about how bad the raps are going to be? You were pretty negative on Kleiza before the preseason. Maybe you should stop listening to the talking heads who are predicting the Raptors last in the eastern conference. I think about half the analyst have them last in the eastern conf. One thing that was pretty noticable is that hedo and bosh were bad man to man defenders. As help side defenders they were alright but they constantly were getting beat.
                        The other big difference is that Kleiza scores in different ways and most of those ways are not one on one situations. Bosh and Hedo wanted to be one on one guys because they're ego's were to big for the team. No one player is bigger then the team and when that happens you don't have success but failure.

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                          Where's your attitude about how bad the raps are going to be? You were pretty negative on Kleiza before the preseason. Maybe you should stop listening to the talking heads who are predicting the Raptors last in the eastern conference. I think about half the analyst have them last in the eastern conf. One thing that was pretty noticable is that hedo and bosh were bad man to man defenders. As help side defenders they were alright but they constantly were getting beat.
                          The other big difference is that Kleiza scores in different ways and most of those ways are not one on one situations. Bosh and Hedo wanted to be one on one guys because they're ego's were to big for the team. No one player is bigger then the team and when that happens you don't have success but failure.
                          You conclude all that after one preseason game? I was born on a day but it wasn't yesterday. Talk to me 20 games into the regular season.......save all your preseason drama for the Dali Lama. The fact that you have to call me names shows that all of your logical rebuttals have been or are nearly exhausted -Frankthetank, and that you're just grasping for straws in response to my opinions on TO in 2010-11.

Comment

I am not placing much on one preseason game. But the level of intensity on defense was refreshing. As for PJ, I already made my thoughts clear on him which many others, mainly golden, disagreed with - so be it. I still think he is a great assistant coach for this team and will compliment Triano in terms of personality and coaching style. It is quite obvious Jay is a good coach offensively, as scoring has never been the problem for the Raptors the last couple of seasons, and it is well-known PJ is a good coach defensively. It is known Jay has been soft on players and it is known PJ has been a tad critical which may be an understatement.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post43049

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                              I believe one of the posters on this site coined them the C**tics after the Garnett vs Calderon game and it is a swear. As in the See-You-Next-Tuesday-ICS. Fitting really.
                              Its the "Cuntics" and the term was coined by Arse a long time ago before he got censored.

Comment

Working...
                              X