Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should Dorsey Start vs the Celtics on Sunday?

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should Dorsey Start vs the Celtics on Sunday?

I would love to see how Dorsey does against what little there is left of Shaq.

Why Burden Bargnani with having to guard Shaq? Shaq is still big and strong but not very mobile.

Dorsey claims that he regularly bench presses 315 with a personal best of 325. Dorsey played well vs the Suns scrubs and I think he deserves a chance to start in the second pre-season game. With Dorsey starting no one would care about Bargnani's lack of rebounding.

Triano wants to try different combinations so why not try Dorsey vs Shaq? Reggie can then come in to handle baby Shaq.

Playing skinny guys vs the Celtics huge front court especially in Boston seems like a sure way to get some quick fouls.

I say Dorsey should be given a shot to see if he can bench press Shaq.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dorsey plays well against an abysmal suns front court in their preseason back-to-back game and you wanna pit him against the Celtics? Perhaps you didn't see what they did to Derrick Favors. Or perhaps that Kool-aid really is that amazing. Pass me a few shotsand I'll be on your level in no time.

The person you want to see starting against the Suns is Amir Johnson. We need to find out if he's capable of playing offense against a physical defense, and if he's able to defend players bigger than him. An end of rotation Dorsey will see minutes anyway, because it's preseason, but there's no reason he should start. Just like there was no reason Reggie should have started... and been called to post up... ugh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Dorsey plays well against an abysmal suns front court in their preseason back-to-back game and you wanna pit him against the Celtics? Perhaps you didn't see what they did to Derrick Favors. Or perhaps that Kool-aid really is that amazing. Pass me a few shotsand I'll be on your level in no time.

The person you want to see starting against the Suns is Amir Johnson. We need to find out if he's capable of playing offense against a physical defense, and if he's able to defend players bigger than him. An end of rotation Dorsey will see minutes anyway, because it's preseason, but there's no reason he should start. Just like there was no reason Reggie should have started... and been called to post up... ugh
    The Raptors play two pre-season games vs the Celtics.

This early in the pre-season there is nothing to lose by seeing how Dorsey plays next to Bargnani.

If it doesn't work in the first half Triano could put Reggie in there to start the second half.

I like the second unit of

Anderson to become Davis?
    Johnson
    Weems
    Barbosa
    Jack

This could become on of the best second units in the league by the end of the season.

Second units are important to winning teams.

It is what is best for the team that counts.

I would rather see Johnson with that second unit than Reggie or Dorsey.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely. why not? its the preseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    absolutely. why not? its the preseason.
    +1

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Marz, we gotta get Amir in there vs. starting units to see what he can actually bring and hopefully not get into foul trouble. He just inked that big deal so now it's time for him to earn his keep. But if it's not Amir then I'd love to see Joey in there with Bargnanci, someone will need to be on the boards and in the paint bangin'!

I've been a fan of Joey since Memphis, and I'd like to see him become a regular rotation player.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    I agree with Marz, we gotta get Amir in there vs. starting units to see what he can actually bring and hopefully not get into foul trouble. He just inked that big deal so now it's time for him to earn his keep. But if it's not Amir then I'd love to see Joey in there with Bargnanci, someone will need to be on the boards and in the paint bangin'!

I've been a fan of Joey since Memphis, and I'd like to see him become a regular rotation player.
    Over the last three seasons Johnson has played eight games vs the Celtics

Here are his per game numbers for those eight

Min----------13
    Points--------3
    Rebounds----3
    Fouls---------3

His last game vs the Celtics last April

Min-----------21
    Points---------4
    Rebounds----2
    Fouls----------5

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../gamelog/2010/
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Oct 9th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree with Buddah. In addition though, why not start Dorsey along with AJ... Afterall it is the preseason. Maybe it'll hurt AB7's feelings, but I don't know. I think this is the time to see how different combinations work.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it matters much who starts and who doesn't this early into pre-season, so sure why not? I do like to see how he does against someone who's way bigger and stronger than he is. However, I also do want to see how Andrea fares against Shaq, and how Amir does against KG (and maybe JO). Most importantly, I want to see the same defensive intensity they had against the Suns, no matter who is on the floor on both teams.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree let Dorsey start

I say go for it. It's preseason. Let's see what Dorsey can do with some minutes. The only reason I can think of to start Evans instead is to showcase him for a trade. I'd rather have Dorsey than Evans on the team and I hear that Dupree is playing well in practice, he's got some potential, and just wants to make the team. Evans is not gonna be happy not dresssing. I'm all for making a 2 for 1 trade so we can keep Dupree as well. The only 3 guys I would consider trading at this point unless we get a star are in order Evans, Banks, and Calderon. I like what I see from everybody else. (Bargniani will pick it up no doubt)

Raptors Republic Rookie Greatkrom420's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this game on tv?

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys again, this is preseason we already have an idea what Bargnani and Amir can do against Garnett and Shaq, its important to take a look at the other bigs. Two things to watch for next game, can the team maintain the defensive intensisty and will Amir get his chance to dunk on Shaq.

The game will only be available online in Canada.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@RPT23..lol..dude, I died when I saw ya pic. I know it's off topic, but I couldn't help but comment. Someone needs to get that "How can she slap?" one and create a funny off that...lol. Now back to our scheduled program....
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should start Bargs. We need him to get in form, and guard huge guys like Shaq. Plus I'm confident Dorsey is a lot more efficient coming off the bench as an energy guy.
    I think we should start Bargs and Evans again. But both playing just the 1st and 3rd quarters. With Johnson and Dorsey going small ball for the second and fourth quarters. And next game we switch to see who plays better with who

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why not that's what the preseason is for- trying different things out, as these games don't count win or lose. Let Dorsey some NBA experience going against Shaq since he will most likely only play a few minutes each half.

Why is Bargnani the only player with a starting spot on lock?

Raptors Republic Rookie DP-Baller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Shaq is going to be sitting out this game while J.O. will be playing.

Source: http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaq is playing in the game.....just went to the bench in the 3rd qt.

Btw- Bargnani is playing like ass..............

Watch the game live http://atdhe.net/20431/watch-toronto...boston-celtics

Post Thanks / Like

Dorsey is my new favorite raptor. The man can jump, has crazy reach, and isn't about lobbing the ball at the basket. After tonite though its obvious he needs to learn some more court sense if he wants to tangle with the vets.

Going through his history I'm reading he was on that memphis team of CDR and Derrick Rose. He's got crazy rbounding and block stats. I'm surprised he was played so little when he was drafted.

Hopefully they can put him through the same training amir got to improve his game and reduce his fouls

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    Dorsey is my new favorite raptor. The man can jump, has crazy reach, and isn't about lobbing the ball at the basket. After tonite though its obvious he needs to learn some more court sense if he wants to tangle with the vets.

Going through his history I'm reading he was on that memphis team of CDR and Derrick Rose. He's got crazy rbounding and block stats. I'm surprised he was played so little when he was drafted.

Hopefully they can put him through the same training amir got to improve his game and reduce his fouls
    Dorsey was a beast in college. I was surprised as well since I thought he was very similar to DeJaun Blair (SA). Give Dorsey a chance and he will give his all unlike some other more gifted Raptor players who shall remain nameless.

I hope he makes the final roster.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I would love to see how Dorsey does against what little there is left of Shaq.

Why Burden Bargnani with having to guard Shaq? Shaq is still big and strong but not very mobile.

Dorsey claims that he regularly bench presses 315 with a personal best of 325. Dorsey played well vs the Suns scrubs and I think he deserves a chance to start in the second pre-season game. With Dorsey starting no one would care about Bargnani's lack of rebounding.

Triano wants to try different combinations so why not try Dorsey vs Shaq? Reggie can then come in to handle baby Shaq.
    Except Shaq is probably more than 325 pounds by now.

And it's also a whole new ballgame when you consider that matching up pound for pound with one of the most intimidating players in the NBA is no walk in the park.

Thread Information