Triano's a "No More Mr. Nice Guy" Type of Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano's a "No More Mr. Nice Guy" Type of Guy

This according to Feschuk and I like what I'm hearing.

Raptor fans can only hope that, lessons learned, he won’t make the same mistakes this year. And barely two weeks into pre-season training, Triano’s reputation as a pliable pushover is already taking some serious hits.

Consider the way the Raptors spent the hours leading up to Sunday’s 91-87 exhibition loss to the Celitcs. For the second time in two game days, they turned their morning shootaround into a full-contact practice, complete with taped ankles and all-out sprinting and maybe a raised eyebrow or two.
    “Shootaround’s a lot tougher than in the past,” said Reggie Evans, the eighth-year NBA forward. “We’re just going hard. A lot of banging. It’s totally different than anything I’ve seen.”

So much work at such an early hour certainly would not sit well with a more veteran NBA team (although the Raptors aren’t exactly brimming with rookies). And it will be interesting to see how long Triano keeps demanding the game day sweat-fest. Triano said he won’t put his team through such a tough workout before Tuesday’s game in Chicago because the Raptors play the next night at home against Philadelphia. He also said — contrary to the assumptions of the players who figure these workouts are strictly an October phenomenon — that he wouldn’t rule out using a shootaround as a hard practice during the regular season.

“If we’re not playing well, yes,” Triano said.

The coach’s new-found sternness was on display in the wake of Sunday’s game, too. While Triano pronounced himself mostly happy with the way his team competed, he acknowledged that the Celtics outhustled the Raptors in the first half and had their way with Toronto’s defence in general, shooting 53 per cent from the field.

“We’re going to be accountable at the defensive end,” Triano said. “So it’s pre-season — we’ve got to send some messages.”

He sent them by punishing lapses with time on the bench. Amir Johnson got yanked for forgetting a play; DeMar DeRozan for allowing the man he was guarding to drive where he wasn’t supposed to drive — specifically, to the middle. And then there was Andrea Bargnani, whose 1-for-8 shooting line looked better than his sluggish defensive work.
    Source - Click here

I for one like this approach.
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

I'm happy to see Jay doing this too. Il Mago better get his act together and if nothing else get past the notion that he has to be first option.

Comment

I think Triano will surprise some of the ppl here on the Republic who doubted him last year. I always thought he was a good coach but was justt too much of a nice guy last season but it's nice to see him getting better as a coach and learning from his mistakes. I saw the game in Vancouver and the defense was very much improved. I don't expect any blowouts against the Raptors this year except for a couple here and there; which is a far cry from last season where they got blown out pretty regularly.

Comment

I wonder how much influence PJ is having on these changes. I would have to say more than a little.

Comment

Will Jay break a clip board over his head this season???

Comment

Working...
            X