Bargs Needs a Big Man Coach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katman wrote: View Post
    They should hire Oak, teach all the big men to be tough and smart.
    They should, but they won't. Oak-man said too many things, ruffled too many feathers and burned too many bridges at MLSE. Same with the Knicks organization.

I think Oak pissed off Larry Tannenbaum when he criticized Wince and his mom in the media, because Tannenbaum was a huge VC supporter. He also slammed Glen Grunwald publicly a few times. Oak was right, but the truth hurts, I guess, and people don't forget it.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
      I watched the video which brings me to the question - how much money and time will it take from the Raptors and specifically Bargnani(if he really has the passion to be a good big man) to get Hakeem Olajuwon as a big man coach and why has it not been done already?(He is even a former Raptors player). Two coaches the Raps need:-
      1.A big man coach
      2.A shooting coach
      'Nuff said.
      Honestly, there isn't really anything I saw in the video that I haven't taught younger players over the years, and I'm not even a big man, let alone a great player. There seems to be an obsession with getting a Hall of Fame center to teach Bargnani as if them being in the Hall of Fame automatically makes them a great teacher. It doesn't. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything Hakeem could teach Bargnani that he hasn't been taught by one of the assistant coaches over the years. Pete Newell was one of the best big man coaches ever and he never played a minute in the NBA.

There's a big difference between being taught something and being able to do it in a game under pressure. Look at the video of Howard. He was obviously doing the moves that Hakeem taught him, but come the season, he's not going to be able to score on most of them because it's simply not his game.

Look at Bargnani in the post. I'm sure he knows lots of moves down there, but what he usually reverts to is a fadeaway, even when he's got a smaller man defending him. He does it because that's what he's comfortable doing. He's a shooter who avoids contact and that's what's engrained in him.

And I just want to add that Bargnani has already been tutored by Hall of Famer Moses Malone, last summer, who tried to teach him how to rebound, apparently. It didn't work.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Honestly, there isn't really anything I saw in the video that I haven't taught younger players over the years, and I'm not even a big man, let alone a great player. There seems to be an obsession with getting a Hall of Fame center to teach Bargnani as if them being in the Hall of Fame automatically makes them a great teacher. It doesn't. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything Hakeem could teach Bargnani that he hasn't been taught by one of the assistant coaches over the years. Pete Newell was one of the best big man coaches ever and he never played a minute in the NBA.

There's a big difference between being taught something and being able to do it in a game under pressure. Look at the video of Howard. He was obviously doing the moves that Hakeem taught him, but come the season, he's not going to be able to score on most of them because it's simply not his game.

Look at Bargnani in the post. I'm sure he knows lots of moves down there, but what he usually reverts to is a fadeaway, even when he's got a smaller man defending him. He does it because that's what he's comfortable doing. He's a shooter who avoids contact and that's what's engrained in him.

And I just want to add that Bargnani has already been tutored by Hall of Famer Moses Malone, last summer, who tried to teach him how to rebound, apparently. It didn't work.
        Then, I rest my case - it might be the Bargs guy lacks passion to get better. You can learn from past NBA big men - I just beleve with Hakeem having some ties with the organisation(albeit for a short time), he would love such opportunity.

Comment

Working...
        X