Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bill Simmons Ranks Raps 29th on Teams He's Most Excited to Watch Live

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Simmons Ranks Raps 29th on Teams He's Most Excited to Watch Live

29. Toronto
    My dad attended the Raptors-Celtics preseason game Sunday and called me afterward just to ask, "That was their whole team, right? I kept thinking someone was injured, then I realized that was probably their whole team."

Yup. It was. Looks like somebody at my daughter's school is going to get a chance to bid on a Raptors-Clippers game at this year's auction!

Do I hear $50? Do I hear $60?

Semi-related note: The reason Denver will trade Carmelo between Dec. 15 and Feb. 15 is simple. The Bosh/Toronto situation taught us that if you think your best player might leave your situation for a better one (or a warmer one or a bigger market or whatever), you can't cross your fingers and hope loyalty trumps common sense. It won't. He's going to leave. Get something for him now. The good news for Raptors fans: They get four chances to boo Vince Carter and Chris Bosh this year. That's almost 10 percent of the season!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...5&sportCat=nba
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Simmons is a tool.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Fuck Billl Simmons. Yep, that seems like the right post for my 200th, good times in raptors republic, good times.....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not wrong tho. If you were a fan of another team and the Raptors are in town, who on this team would you be excited about going to see? Our team is lacking a leader and an identity

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, until a player takes the mantle of floor general or dare I say a star ( I shouldn't go that far) why should anyone but Raptors fans show up to see them play? Heck even the Pacers have Granger...You and I don't count unless we all go on vacation down south for every away game.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But, he's right and stuff, yo.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if his dad called him about 4 yrs. ago with the same question....about the Celtics.

Snarky dorks.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the lack of objectivity around here is mind numbing. Does anyone really think the Raptors would be much higher on that list? Really, people, get a grip. I know you're a fan, but that doesn't mean your brain has been removed (I hope). Personally, I'd put Raptors ahead of Detroit, Charlotte and Indiana, but it's certainly a fair assessment. As a fan of the team I'm very interested in watching as many Raptor games as possible. If I wasn't a fan, a starting lineup of Bargnani, Evans, Kleiza, DeRozan and Calderon/Jack would put me to sleep in about 10 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

29th in a power rankings could potentially be justified but in terns of excitement? Come on, the team is built around offense. Bill Simmons is the 29th most exciting sports writer at ESPN.com

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

29th may be a bit off, but his comments are true...I'm excited to watch the Raptors because i have a genuine interest in watching our guys develop - but from an outsider looking in i can see how he would get there...

Post Thanks / Like

I could see that number changing by the end of the year though. The raps are a young team that can get up and down the floor, Barbosa is usually fun to watch... if the YGZ can put something together resembling professional basketball and Bargs can get his shot to go down... Reggie grabbing Kaman's groin again would shoot them to the top of the list though!

Post Thanks / Like

They have no All-Stars, in fact very few players the average fan has even heard of, probably won't win a lot of games, and while they will run whenever they get a chance, they don't have a go to guy who they can give the ball to to get points when they need to. In fact, a lot of their offense will come through their defense which, if they're playing a good team, won't be all that consistent. Like I said, I'd put them a little higher, but most NBA fans would not want to watch the Raptors.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

love Simmons... and he seems to right on the money again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. We don't even have any exciting head cases or anything.

Just wondering, do some people hate Simmons cause he uses humor? Or is it lack of knowledge?

I tell you what, when you write a 1000 page #1 best selling book on basketball ill listen to u Simmons haters a little more.

BTW he also calls Raptor fans some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    BTW he also calls Raptor fans some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA.
    He obviously hasn't been on many Raptor forums, has he?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

lol why are you all so sensitive? Bill Simmons is an entertainer and basically a comedian. If you're reading his stuff it's so that you can laugh. When a comedian makes fun of your race, are you the type to go all moody and sad?

Post Thanks / Like

Ha.
    Yeah I mean obviously he's not a former player or anything but he has been a season ticket holder since the age of 5. Maybe we should tell Arse to stop adding humor to his articles. God forbid sports should be entertaining.

Wait a minute! Are forum admins allowed to diss ESPN writers. Can I report you? I kid, i kid.

Anyway I've defended Simmons enough in my lifetime. I'm gonna go take in my empties.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Simmons is absolutely right. A marginal NBA fan would have no interest in seeing a Raptors game, because there are really no premier players on the roster, and no players who are that well known or marketable. Plus, the entire roster itself is weak, the coaching is poor, and while the team is athletic and somewhat exciting on offense, they are still pretty disorganized, inconsistent, and atrocious on defense.

As a Raps fan, I will watch every game because I want to see how we develop, and because I will still love the team no matter how horrendous we are. With that said, there is also absolutely no way I would pay money for a ticket to watch this team live this year. With the price of NBA tickets, it is absolutely not worth paying to watch this crappy of an on-court product, and as a fan in any other city, would you really pay money to see the Raptors as the visiting team?

And yes, Bill Simmons has stated before that Raptor fans are some of the craziest/most die-hard fans in the NBA. Whenever he posts something negative about the Raptors, he mentions that he knows he will get a ton of hate mail from the crazy Raptor fans, which is something he actually respects because we are passionate fans.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Simmons is an idiot and is mind numbing to read when he pretends to be one of those middle aged down white dudes but he is right..nobody wants to watch this team...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Simmons....ugh. *shudders*

Having said that, he isn't wrong here.
    Toronto's Finest

Thread Information