Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons Ranks Raps 29th on Teams He's Most Excited to Watch Live

29. Toronto
    My dad attended the Raptors-Celtics preseason game Sunday and called me afterward just to ask, "That was their whole team, right? I kept thinking someone was injured, then I realized that was probably their whole team."

Yup. It was. Looks like somebody at my daughter's school is going to get a chance to bid on a Raptors-Clippers game at this year's auction!

Do I hear $50? Do I hear $60?

Semi-related note: The reason Denver will trade Carmelo between Dec. 15 and Feb. 15 is simple. The Bosh/Toronto situation taught us that if you think your best player might leave your situation for a better one (or a warmer one or a bigger market or whatever), you can't cross your fingers and hope loyalty trumps common sense. It won't. He's going to leave. Get something for him now. The good news for Raptors fans: They get four chances to boo Vince Carter and Chris Bosh this year. That's almost 10 percent of the season!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...5&sportCat=nba
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Bill Simmons is a tool.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Fuck Billl Simmons. Yep, that seems like the right post for my 200th, good times in raptors republic, good times.....

Comment

He's not wrong tho. If you were a fan of another team and the Raptors are in town, who on this team would you be excited about going to see? Our team is lacking a leader and an identity

Comment

Exactly, until a player takes the mantle of floor general or dare I say a star ( I shouldn't go that far) why should anyone but Raptors fans show up to see them play? Heck even the Pacers have Granger...You and I don't count unless we all go on vacation down south for every away game.

Comment

But, he's right and stuff, yo.

Comment

Wonder if his dad called him about 4 yrs. ago with the same question....about the Celtics.

Snarky dorks.

Comment

Wow, the lack of objectivity around here is mind numbing. Does anyone really think the Raptors would be much higher on that list? Really, people, get a grip. I know you're a fan, but that doesn't mean your brain has been removed (I hope). Personally, I'd put Raptors ahead of Detroit, Charlotte and Indiana, but it's certainly a fair assessment. As a fan of the team I'm very interested in watching as many Raptor games as possible. If I wasn't a fan, a starting lineup of Bargnani, Evans, Kleiza, DeRozan and Calderon/Jack would put me to sleep in about 10 seconds.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

29th in a power rankings could potentially be justified but in terns of excitement? Come on, the team is built around offense. Bill Simmons is the 29th most exciting sports writer at ESPN.com

Comment

29th may be a bit off, but his comments are true...I'm excited to watch the Raptors because i have a genuine interest in watching our guys develop - but from an outsider looking in i can see how he would get there...

Comment

I could see that number changing by the end of the year though. The raps are a young team that can get up and down the floor, Barbosa is usually fun to watch... if the YGZ can put something together resembling professional basketball and Bargs can get his shot to go down... Reggie grabbing Kaman's groin again would shoot them to the top of the list though!

Comment

They have no All-Stars, in fact very few players the average fan has even heard of, probably won't win a lot of games, and while they will run whenever they get a chance, they don't have a go to guy who they can give the ball to to get points when they need to. In fact, a lot of their offense will come through their defense which, if they're playing a good team, won't be all that consistent. Like I said, I'd put them a little higher, but most NBA fans would not want to watch the Raptors.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

love Simmons... and he seems to right on the money again.

Comment

Yep. We don't even have any exciting head cases or anything.

Just wondering, do some people hate Simmons cause he uses humor? Or is it lack of knowledge?

I tell you what, when you write a 1000 page #1 best selling book on basketball ill listen to u Simmons haters a little more.

BTW he also calls Raptor fans some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                              BTW he also calls Raptor fans some of the most knowledgeable fans in the NBA.
                              He obviously hasn't been on many Raptor forums, has he?
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X