Chisholm: Turk facing unfair critism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisholm: Turk facing unfair critism

The talk is getting louder about how badly Hedo Turkoglu has been playing in Toronto this season and questions abound as to when he'll finally start producing like the Raptors have paid him to.

The fact is, though, that Hedo is basically performing within the averages he set in his time in Orlando and is shooting better from the floor than he did last year for the Magic's Finals-bound squad, so what exactly are people waiting for?

The fact is that Hedo isn't being given the chance to run the point-forward for Toronto very often, so naturally his production is going to be down slightly over his two final seasons in Orlando when he was made into a full-time starter in that role.

Considering how rare it is to see him creating with the ball in his hands for this club it's impressive that he's even managing the 14.0ppg, 4.8rpg and 4.0apg that he is. Toronto has basically turned him into a spot-up shooter with occasional opportunities to create and he's probably done about as well as can be expected with such a limited role.
    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/Tim_Chisholm/?id=302725

I agree with him. Turk is coming from a team where everything runs through him. Now he doesn't get the ball as much. Another difference is the Howard factor. What do you guys think?
    Last name ever, first name greatest

Lack of opportunity. Hedo needs the ball in his hands more often and needs more pick and rolls. Then he'll contribute at a level comparable with what he did for Orlando last season. Underutilized ...
    nbaroundtable

Comment

Agreed. Triano and the coaching staff are clueless. Why not shuffle it up a bit and try something different especially if Calderon is out. Why not try a line up without Jack or Banks on the floor. Put Hedo/Belinelli in there, let Hedo make some plays.

Comment

The Raptors problems don't start with Turkoglu.

The problems seem so broad based, they should be put on the COACH.
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

If you are not part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            If you are not part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.
            What is that supposed to mean? Turk is not Peja Stojakovic or Rashard Lewis. He needs the ball in his hands. He cant be stationed in a corner waiting for the golden pass. Im really not sure how he is supposed to have a great influence on the game when he is being used in this fashion.
            Last edited by Raffy15; Fri Dec 18, 2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I hear Chisholm, but... Aren't most people's criticisms of Turk related to things that DON'T show up in the boxscore? The "what were you expecting?" argument still holds water, but the 14/5/4 really isn't the issue with him.

Comment

James wrote: View Post
                I hear Chisholm, but... Aren't most people's criticisms of Turk related to things that DON'T show up in the boxscore? The "what were you expecting?" argument still holds water, but the 14/5/4 really isn't the issue with him.
                My chief complaint with Turkoglu/Triano. Not enough pick 'n roll with the ball in his hands. That's his bread and butter play, he ran that with Dwight Howard to great success and I was expecting more of that here. I'd say 40-50% of our possessions should start with Turkoglu handling the ball up top. His usage has been poor, everyone will agree on that.

Comment

I agree that they should do more PnR's with him, especially now that Jose's out. I'd like to actually see the Synergy Sports data on that stuff for the Raps. Would be interesting.

Thing is... I don't want to go too far with that. When Jose is healthy, the ball needs to be in his hands. I know he's not the most popular guy in Raptorland right now, but I trust him with the ball. He's more efficient than Turk. I'm fine with Hedo being a traditional small forward when Jose is there and doing his point-forward stuff when he's alongside Jack.

My chief complaint with Turkoglu? Little things. Blown rotations, bad decisions. And the whole toughness/grit/energy thing that's a problem for almost everyone on the team. He's going to get beaten off the dribble, but if it happens I want it to be because he is simply too slow to get there in time rather than because he didn't even bother. He's never going to be an elite rebounder, but I want him to be in their fighting for them anyway. I don't really care if he ups his stats, but I want him to be a leader. The team really needs that right now.

Comment

^ I was talking about offensively, defensively there's tons of things to complain about Turkoglu as you mentioned. I wouldn't hang on to those leadership expectations, you can't expect someone who hasn't shown leadership so far to suddenly display leadership qualities. I was never expecting leadership from him, so I guess I'm not really disappointed there. If he could just play his offensive game well, I'd even look past his defensive lapses.

Comment

I'm fine with Hedo being a traditional small forward when Jose is there and doing his point-forward stuff when he's alongside Jack.
                      Hedo Turkoglu is a mediocre player if he isn't going to be used as a point forward. If he's used as a traditional forward.

Toronto will have just paid $10 million to a player worth only $5 million.

If that's the plan, then the Raptors would have been much better going after a player like Pietrus who is a high level defender. He could make more of an impact at small forward than Turkoglu can if Hedo doesn't have the ball in his hands.

Hedo Turkoglu's only high level talent as a basketball player is his playmaking ability. His passing off the dribble. Without that he's a mediocre player. If Hedo remains on the Raptors, then it has to be a priority to put him in situations where he can use his best talents.
                      nbaroundtable

Comment

Meh, I think he's a mediocre player full-stop. I hear you, though. His playmaking is what should separate him...

...but I still don't think it's best for the team when Jose's healthy. I think Jose, with the ball in his hands, can help the Raps get W's more than Hedo can. And that's more important than making the crappy contract look better.

I admit I'm kinda biting KD with all this.

Comment

Meh, I think he's a mediocre player full-stop.
                          Ah, fair enough.

If things keep going the way they're going -- the lack of touches/PnRs/opportunities for Hedo to be a playmaker -- then I think dumping Hedo's contract should either be the Raptors first or second highest priority. That contract takes too many other possibilities off the table otherwise.

Either commit to Hedo on the court or commit to life without him. I think are both good options and anything in between is a bad play.
                          nbaroundtable

Comment

"...mediocre player"? I gather you must not have seen him play during Magic's run in the playoffs last year. I would go so far as to say that with Jameer Nelson's absence the Magic were sunk if it were not for Hedo's playmaking and clutch shooting at crunch time in many a game (when it really counted).

There have been many posts here attesting to his misuse. I find it incredible that with BC making actual statements re: his acquisition precisely because of his playmaking and PnR abilities that this is not being done with any regularity. I can only assume that Bosh is unwilling or unable to partake of this scheme. JT maybe is a bad coach but I dont think he is that stupid

Comment

yeah he's right... hedo just needed some opportunity to play... we just need to trust him.... and you'll see as time goes bye.... the Toronto gonna be in the top...

Comment

Working...
                              X