Hey, Maybe We Can Get in on the Melo Thiing & Shed José at the Same Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Maybe We Can Get in on the Melo Thiing & Shed José at the Same Time

Maybe some of you capologists out there can let me know if this is feasible:
    Seems that the Knicks are willing to part with Tony Douglass in order to get a first-round pick to give to Denver as part of a potential trade for Melo. Douglas was going to be the Knicks starting pg until they got Felton. Kid's a stud; only 6'2" but excellent defender with lots of steals and his dee keys his o. Lightning quick, shreds the dee and gets to the hoop at will. Granted, more of a shoot-first pg, but when the Knicks put him in as a starter, he had decent assist numbers. So the Raps give up José and one of their 1st rounders and take back Douglas and use part of the trade exception to make the numbers work. Don't know if this works salary-wise for the Knicks. But with Douglas and Jack as the Raps' two-headed point guard, each able to get to the hoop at will...and then toss in Barbosa and our exciting young wing players, you've got a nice emerging identity to this team. An exciting one. So, whaddayall think?
    Last edited by LeeZ; Wed Oct 20, 2010, 12:24 PM.

I think we talked about this earlier this summer, but as much as I'd be elated to see something come together to acquire him, there's no incentive for him to come to Toronto. Melo wants to win. And if he can't win he wants the spotlight in a large market like NYC or LA.

We're rebuilding here in Toronto, so the Raptors I bet are pretty low on his teams of interest. JMO

Comment

Think you need to read more carefully Doc, albeit the title is a bit misleading. Personally, I don't know much about Douglas, but if he's a shoot first pg like you said, then all our pgs would be "shoot-first".

Comment

Any thread involving melo being dealt here should be deleted without hesitation...

Comment

I think Toney after a couple of strong showings as of late, would be coveted by Denver, even if they do have Lawson - they might move Toney to 2-guard. Toney, Gallinari, Randolph and a 1st rounder and Denver should run and hide - even without the 1st rounder, that's a solid offer.

It would be nice to get involved, but I can't see anyone - either the Knicks or Denver wanting Calderon. The Knicks might want Evans or Banks as depth though.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
            Any thread involving melo being dealt here should be deleted without hesitation...
            There was no mention of Melo being dealt here.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              It would be nice to get involved, but I can't see anyone - either the Knicks or Denver wanting Calderon. The Knicks might want Evans or Banks as depth though.
              I think if the Knicks are desperate enough to get a high first-rounder so as to acquire Melo, they might take José. I know squat about caps and all, so I'd be interested in knowing whether NY could take on José's contract.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                I think if the Knicks are desperate enough to get a high first-rounder so as to acquire Melo, they might take José. I know squat about caps and all, so I'd be interested in knowing whether NY could take on José's contract.
                I don't think the Knicks are THAT desperate. They could pretty much forget about getting Chris Paul if they acquire Jose, and I don't think they want to put themselves in that position. Denver would take the Toney, Randolph and Gallinari deal.

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
                  Think you need to read more carefully Doc, albeit the title is a bit misleading. Personally, I don't know much about Douglas, but if he's a shoot first pg like you said, then all our pgs would be "shoot-first".
                  Cheers Krix. I did jump the gun and was under the impression that it was Melo to TO. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading I guess.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                    Maybe some of you capologists out there can let me know if this is feasible:
                    Seems that the Knicks are willing to part with Tony Douglass in order to get a first-round pick to give to Denver as part of a potential trade for Melo. Douglas was going to be the Knicks starting pg until they got Felton. Kid's a stud; only 6'2" but excellent defender with lots of steals and his dee keys his o. Lightning quick, shreds the dee and gets to the hoop at will. Granted, more of a shoot-first pg, but when the Knicks put him in as a starter, he had decent assist numbers. So the Raps give up José and one of their 1st rounders and take back Douglas and use part of the trade exception to make the numbers work. Don't know if this works salary-wise for the Knicks. But with Douglas and Jack as the Raps' two-headed point guard, each able to get to the hoop at will...and then toss in Barbosa and our exciting young wing players, you've got a nice emerging identity to this team. An exciting one. So, whaddayall think?
                    I would like to get rid of Calderon's contract more than anybody but not at the expense of the Raps own draft pick this year.

With the TPE and a high lottery pick coming anyways (sorry people but unless something happens soon, Raptors should be top 5-10 lottery bound - right behind PHX), the Raps have some serious leverage to move up by taking on a contract for higher or more picks. Think MIN-WSH a few years ago or NOH-OKC last year.

Next problem is the TPE, the above is in reverse. In this case NYK are taking on salary, not the Raps.

This trade would work but it would screw the NYK for signing Paul in 2 years - and don't think that is not the eventual plan. However, this trade does nothing to get DEN under the luxury tax.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=25w7m6f

This trade might work, but again, I do not see the Knicks taking on Calderon:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=23d3qwa

Or this one could work as NYK would be left with only 1 C with Turiaf gone:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=28cxnqz

Either way I think it is highly unlikely the Raps get involved. However, if the Raptors have an opportunity to get involved and it would help the team, I'd do it because it appears that no matter what Carmelo will be a Knick next year - one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                    X