Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: So can we now criticize BC for the Hibbert-O'Neal trade ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default So can we now criticize BC for the Hibbert-O'Neal trade ?

    Now that Roy Hibbert is about to be a legit double double starting C (not the 17/6 future dbl dbl guy we have) i think its time fans start crticizing this deal more...With all the failed moves BC has made this one seems to get put on the backburner,but i think its time to put out there for everyone to laugh at....

    Since we still looking for a legit big man and never actually competed with any of the guys we got (Marion,JO) and the guy we dealt along with TJ to acquire fiya knees this needs more attention.....and at the end of this equation we didnt get to use fiya knees exp contract and turned marion into turkeydo and quietly Big Roy is about to become the legit rebounding in the paint center we needed all along...

    *sips tea elegantly*

    as you were...

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Now that Roy Hibbert is about to be a legit double double starting C (not the 17/6 future dbl dbl guy we have) i think its time fans start crticizing this deal more...With all the failed moves BC has made this one seems to get put on the backburner,but i think its time to put out there for everyone to laugh at....

    Since we still looking for a legit big man and never actually competed with any of the guys we got (Marion,JO) and the guy we dealt along with TJ to acquire fiya knees this needs more attention.....and at the end of this equation we didnt get to use fiya knees exp contract and turned marion into turkeydo and quietly Big Roy is about to become the legit rebounding in the paint center we needed all along...

    *sips tea elegantly*

    as you were...
    Only if we can criticize every other single GM in hindsight for passing on players that ended up better than anyone expected. Only three current GMs haven't done that. Portland, Denver and Cleveland, and only because none of them have ever been in charge of a draft before.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Only if we can criticize every other single GM in hindsight for passing on players that ended up better than anyone expected. Only three current GMs haven't done that. Portland, Denver and Cleveland, and only because none of them have ever been in charge of a draft before.
    Why does Colangelo always seem to whiff BIG when it comes to passing on players and larger acquisitions, but gets praise for his bunt singles?

    I'm still waiting for one of his vaunted moves to pan out. Lottery picks, second rounders with health issues (Jawaii most noticeably), big trades that flop, big signings that flop harder. It don't stop! If some fans expect to give him props for acquiring the Amir Johnson's and Sonny Weems of the league he should get criticism for trading 1st round picks for players that would help this team considerably now.

    I agree hindsight is 20-20 but when is his FORESIGHT ever going to amount to anything significant? I hope Andrea and DeMar pan out, but I don't ever expect to see either of those players in an all-star game.

  4. #4
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was ok to criticize that trade from day one. It was high risk.

    For the record, you can't say "Hibbert for O'Neal" because it's not accurate. It was Ford and a pick for O'Neal. Whether or not the Raptors would have selected Hibbert had they planned to keep the pick no one can know. They took Hibbert because the Pacers wanted him.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Because of Hibberts pre-season? This is so stupid

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie noxleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Greater Sudbury, ON
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ...fiya knees? What the hell is this thread about?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Because of Hibberts pre-season? This is so stupid
    I guess you didnt notice he start ballin last year...

  8. #8
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    I guess you didnt notice he start ballin last year...
    Yup. At 7'2", he was ballin collecting 5 boards a game.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Yup. At 7'2", he was ballin collecting 5 boards a game.
    Yea in his 2nd season in 25 MPG...and he is showing that he will be a 15/10 guy as a starter....meanwhile i bet you dont talk about bargs first 2 seasons being under 4 boards a game yea and he 7 foot TALK about it ?

    Bargs career average is 4.8 boards a game,talk about ?

    in 25 MPG 12 pts 6 rebs shooting 50 % in his 2nd season...is about to become a legit big on an up and comig team
    meanwhile over here in his 6th season bargs still has people believing he's on the verge of an all star berth lol...

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    I guess you didnt notice he start ballin last year...
    Every game I watched he was in foul trouble. Guess we'll have to wait to the real season to make an assessment.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    It was ok to criticize that trade from day one. It was high risk.

    For the record, you can't say "Hibbert for O'Neal" because it's not accurate. It was Ford and a pick for O'Neal. Whether or not the Raptors would have selected Hibbert had they planned to keep the pick no one can know. They took Hibbert because the Pacers wanted him.
    I don't if dealing the 17th pick is really all that high risk. And everyone seems to be forgetting the questions surrounding Hibbert when he came out. Most scouts thought he might not have the agility to be able to really be a big minute player in the NBA. Otherwise a 7'2 center that can defend, score and rebound would have gone much higher.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I don't if dealing the 17th pick is really all that high risk. And everyone seems to be forgetting the questions surrounding Hibbert when he came out. Most scouts thought he might not have the agility to be able to really be a big minute player in the NBA. Otherwise a 7'2 center that can defend, score and rebound would have gone much higher.
    Same scouts that said Emeka Okafor was goin to be dominant low post player and a safer pick then D12.
    Last edited by Trife76; Wed Oct 20th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Same scouts that said Emeka Okafor was goin to be dominant low post player and a safer pick then D12.
    Okafor was a safer pick than Howard. Okafor had just won a national championship as the leader of UCONN and was named the most outstanding player of the tournament. Dwight Howard was a kid coming out of high school. You're using now to justify the past. It doesn't work that way.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Same scouts that said Emeka Okafor was goin to be dominant low post player and a safer pick then D12.
    Okafor was the safest pick between the two at the time. Okafor was a winner at the NCAA level, and won a bunch of awards. The riskier pick went #1, and the Magic were rewarded by their patience. Hibbert will probably end up like Okafor. Solid double-double player (13/14-10) and will probably get a fat contract because of it.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Same scouts that said Emeka Okafor was goin to be dominant low post player and a safer pick then D12.
    And the same scouts that said that Rafael Araujo was a huge reach for Toronto at 9 and that he was a limited player who had very little upside. Sometimes they do get it right.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In order to facilitate the trade the raptors agreed to Draft Hibbert on the Pacers behalf and then make the trade.

    It is not like they picked him wanting him and then passed him up.

    I at the time hoped for Hibbert to be selected as he was a great college player with a huge presence in the paint, very coach able and a big the raptors sorely need/needed.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No, we would burn him for his poor rebounding numbers. Just like we already do Bargnani. Over 7 ft tall, and less than 6 boards = Raptor fans hating you. JO brought us to Marion which brought us to cap space. Yeah, we blew it on Turk, but who wouldn't have at that point? Most of it was just a matter of bad luck.

  18. #18
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I don't if dealing the 17th pick is really all that high risk. And everyone seems to be forgetting the questions surrounding Hibbert when he came out. Most scouts thought he might not have the agility to be able to really be a big minute player in the NBA. Otherwise a 7'2 center that can defend, score and rebound would have gone much higher.
    Dealing the 17th pick was not the risky part, that was just part of paying too much. Taking on Jermaine's bad knees @ $22M/yr was the risk I was referring to...

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I find it funny people talk about Hibberts stats relative to a shitty team but reject the same notion with bargnani instead suggesting he needs to be the No1 guy and other players took his space....

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    It was ok to criticize that trade from day one. It was high risk.

    For the record, you can't say "Hibbert for O'Neal" because it's not accurate. It was Ford and a pick for O'Neal. Whether or not the Raptors would have selected Hibbert had they planned to keep the pick no one can know. They took Hibbert because the Pacers wanted him.
    you could always praise larry bird.

    btw, it's not inaccurate either. it's more acurate than not.
    Last edited by LBF; Wed Oct 20th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •