View Poll Results: For game days, which option do you prefer?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Game Threads on the Forums

    3 42.86%
  • Game Chat over on the Blog

    4 57.14%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Raptors Games: Game Thread or Game Chat?

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors Games: Game Thread or Game Chat?

    Just want to get an idea to see what people think for game days here at the RR forums. Do most prefer a game thread on the forum here where members can comment throughout the game or just use the game chat (http://raptorsrepublic.com/toronto-r...ive-game-chat/) on the blog's main page?

    I don't mind doing my game threads like I have over the years, but if there isn't much interest here then I won't bother.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If there isn't interest in game threads then maybe we could do a monthly thread where we discuss the Raptors games happening that month? We could do predictions and then discuss the month as it plays out?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's just easier to do the chat during the game. Creating a thread for after the game is always good though...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  4. #4
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    I think it's just easier to do the chat during the game. Creating a thread for after the game is always good though...
    Actually, Altraps does his "Role Call" after every game over on the main blog so that's really where all the post game discussion happens.

    Anyhow, just thought I'd check with members here to see what everyone thought. I won't bother then if the interest isn't there.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The forum should not detract from the front of the page. The most important stuff should be in the blogs. This goes for the chat. The chat is fun and more accessible, so we should keep it. With all the Raptor games being televised we should average 40-60 people in a chat, during the course of a game. In a pre-season game that wasn't broadcast (chicago) the chat went up to 130 people. So, it has been extremely popular.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't understand the harm in having both. Chats is for instant reactions to plays and such. Threads are for discussion on how the game feels to that point.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would suggest leaving the chat as is. This alongwith the postgame blog post I believe generates adequate discussion. Anyone can start a game thread if they choose to do so.

    What I thought might be interesting though is instituting eg. a weekly or monthly prognostication of wins-losses of Raptors games. I am sure there'd be a lot of interest in RR land for something like that (since everyone is an expert!). Winner at end of season can get a pair for a game the following season or a cap or whatever. Winner of each game would be based on of course the correct winning team and the closest to the total combined score of that game. Of course there could be multiple winners but a tie breaker could be instituted for this eventuality. Hopefully an automated system/program could be devised by the techies at RR to maintain the ongoing input, record keeping and tabulation (by id) via the home page? Yes? No? And we dont have too much lead time do we?

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I prefer gamechat but no on talks is on #raptors on EFnet. /plug So I usually end up here.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I would suggest leaving the chat as is. This alongwith the postgame blog post I believe generates adequate discussion. Anyone can start a game thread if they choose to do so.

    What I thought might be interesting though is instituting eg. a weekly or monthly prognostication of wins-losses of Raptors games. I am sure there'd be a lot of interest in RR land for something like that (since everyone is an expert!). Winner at end of season can get a pair for a game the following season or a cap or whatever. Winner of each game would be based on of course the correct winning team and the closest to the total combined score of that game. Of course there could be multiple winners but a tie breaker could be instituted for this eventuality. Hopefully an automated system/program could be devised by the techies at RR to maintain the ongoing input, record keeping and tabulation (by id) via the home page? Yes? No? And we dont have too much lead time do we?
    Sounds like an excellent idea!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  10. #10
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I would suggest leaving the chat as is. This alongwith the postgame blog post I believe generates adequate discussion. Anyone can start a game thread if they choose to do so.

    What I thought might be interesting though is instituting eg. a weekly or monthly prognostication of wins-losses of Raptors games. I am sure there'd be a lot of interest in RR land for something like that (since everyone is an expert!). Winner at end of season can get a pair for a game the following season or a cap or whatever. Winner of each game would be based on of course the correct winning team and the closest to the total combined score of that game. Of course there could be multiple winners but a tie breaker could be instituted for this eventuality. Hopefully an automated system/program could be devised by the techies at RR to maintain the ongoing input, record keeping and tabulation (by id) via the home page? Yes? No? And we dont have too much lead time do we?
    That's a great idea Bendit. I know I don't have the time to organize or keep track of it, but I wholeheartedly support the idea.

    Well, I'll do the game threads and see what happens and the chats like always will remain the same on the main blog page.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •