No announcement yet.

Young Onez. What Do You Think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This whole Young Gunz movement will fall apart quickly if the team sucks bad and they play like 3 average run of the mill guys,nobody will care...

Comment

I think it was more MLSE push behind this, get whatever revenue comes their way >_>

I want to say that Sonny, Demar and Amir would not have chosen the "Onez" suffix for themselves as its... well embarrassing. Atleast with the "Guns" it was semi-cool.

Ditto on the they're nothing until proven something.

Comment

If anything, it's a good marketing ploy. I know the Bucks' Andrew Bogut has something similar in Milwaukee called "Squad 6" where the whole section is a bunch of basketball fanatics that cheer, make noise and taunt the opposition. Could use some of that energy in the lower bowl game in, game out - and what better players to use than the guys who have been the most visible in the community? I think it's a good thing.

Comment

the_aftermath wrote: View Post
          I think it was more MLSE push behind this, get whatever revenue comes their way >_>
          Agreed. Whether people like it or not, this game is a business 1st and foremost.

All this talk about "earning a nickname" ... do you really think that's any more credible? There's no difference, It'll be just as contrived. Whether it be a reporter, news headline, or security guard who gives them that nick name...

What are you guys expecting when they "earn" their nick name?

"gets to the line 20 times a game group" ?

"young 40% shooters" ?

"decent shot selection dudes" ?

Whether they "earn" a name or not, it all comes down to marketing the players, the team and the league.

Comment

Im sure the league won't let us use that nickname because it contains the word "guns" and thats not positive for the leagues image. David stern has really turned this league into another Wnba. All these soft calls and movie cross promotion suck Velociraptor.

Comment

I don't see what the beef is, really. It's a marketing ploy, sure, but why does it hurt to have these guys featured. It's not like they've labeled themselves "the Special Ones" Or the "Next ones". It's fun for now. Let's see if it works.

Comment

peanutplaza wrote: View Post
                Im sure the league won't let us use that nickname because it contains the word "guns" and thats not positive for the leagues image. David stern has really turned this league into another Wnba. All these soft calls and movie cross promotion suck Velociraptor.
                What's wrong with trying to clean up the image? I don't exactly see the problem here. You can call it the WBNA, but hey, you're still following it.

Comment

OTFP wrote: View Post
                  This gets more embarrassing by the day.

Young Gunz sucks balls

YGZ sucks balls

Young Onez sucks balls

You don't get to giver yourself a f*king nickname before you have accomplished anything..You earn it.

They didn't give themselves that nickname, one of the coaches gave it to them. They are talented, athletic and willing to work on their game and improve. Know what your talking about before you make a comment.

Comment

The Young Cojones

I like the young cojones; as long as they go full out, in or lose. Add Harrison Barnes next year and we're a 45-50 wins, 2nd round contender.

Comment

I've always hated the idea of Young Gunz for the Raptors. I'm also a big Calgary Flames fan, and the Flames had their own Young Guns era. It was a marketing ploy used to try to sell fans on the fact that the team had lots of potential to make up for current underperformance. Valeri Bure was our best player, Todd Simpson was our captain, and we had six different goalies, only one of whom had a winning record (and even then, only just). And it would be another five years before the team made it back to the playoffs, and by that time, most of the so-called young guns had been traded away, or simply played their way out of the league. I can't help feeling that the name is cursed, and there's the potential for it to go as badly for the Raps as it did for the Flames.
                      Last edited by octothorp; Mon Oct 25, 2010, 07:05 PM. Reason: .

Comment

The "young gunz/onez" thing is kind of lame but i'll take it if it means there's better chemistry than last year. Do you guys remember last year? Stop complaining over something so petty.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

They're still known as the Young Gunz to everyone anywayz no matter waht Stern wants.smh

The Young Ridahz is a nice alternative in my mnid.

Comment

Working...
                          X