Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Young Onez. What Do You Think?

Raptors Republic Rookie the_aftermath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Young Onez. What Do You Think?

http://youngonez.com/

http://twitter.com/Young_Onez

I like that they're attempting to connect with the fans but it seems analogous to premature ejaculation. This "Young Onez" experiment could head south fast... perhaps taking their talents to south beach haha. Anyways does it seem a little lame? there's even suggested chants...

The link I hit off of Demar's twitter went to this http://www.youngones.com/
    lol too funny.

Young Gunz was cooler, darn Arenas for making it taboo.

Regardless of, hope the raps prove some people wrong this season.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bad name, young gunz was much better but they have the right idea. Im focusing on the stuff on the court. off the court they can call themselves whatever they want....

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A month into the season and no one will give a damn about the name but rather look at the losses piling up.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the Yeti ....represent in the near future that we are going to get a good hairy bigmen?

Post Thanks / Like

worst marketing ploy ever. too bad the nba wouldnt let them use YGZ. its sooo juvenile

Post Thanks / Like

Default They are still the "Young Gunz"

The problem is that the league won't let the raptors or the players market themselves at the "Young Gunz" but that hardly matters now. "Young Gunz" took to the fan base because in two words it gave the players and the team an identity; young quick and aggressive.

The solution is that the fans just referring them to the "Young Gunz". Have our own chants, fan sites, and t-shirts... We shouldn't have to put up with this piece of marketing garbage and ignore the "Young Onez" altogether. They are the "Young Gunz" and it's our choice if we want them to stay the "Young Gunz".

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They should establish themselves as a force before they give themselves corny nicknames. I thought "Young Gunz" was ridiculous and I think this new one is rubbish. Quit worrying about your offcourt identity and just play basketball. Let your game indentify yourself.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    They should establish themselves as a force before they give themselves corny nicknames. I thought "Young Gunz" was ridiculous and I think this new one is rubbish. Quit worrying about your offcourt identity and just play basketball. Let your game indentify yourself.
    AMEN, sir. AMEN.

It's like we have Master P's latest rap project instead of young basketball players that have yet to prove themselves worthy of notoriety

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This gets more embarrassing by the day.

Young Gunz sucks balls

YGZ sucks balls

Young Onez sucks balls

You don't get to giver yourself a f*king nickname before you have accomplished anything..You earn it.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OTFP wrote: View Post
    You don't get to giver yourself a f*king nickname before you have accomplished anything..You earn it.
    Preach on brotha .... preach on!!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it'll just be one of those things that everyone gets used to over time. Remember when OKC chose their team name? A lot of people (including me) thought "Thunder" was kinda lame. "Barons" and "Outlaws" were far more popular. Now, it is what it is... they're the Thunder. Same thing here, "Young Gunz" sounds better right now, but if "Young Onez" catches on, nobody will care...

Is it a good idea in the first place? I dunno, seems pretty harmless. But only time will tell.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

As per op, if "young onez" is akin to premature ejaculation (lol) then Young Gunz is like the prepubescent peashooter. This whole campaign is so open to ridicule it's not funny. Is mlse expecting their revenue streams to be anchored in the 10-15 yr demographic?

Like someone else said, lets get some kudos on the court in a regular season or two before giving out TM'ed nicknames. I can imagine the bench snickers from the Celtics amongst others when they shut our "boyz" down and then slam in a few at the other end. When Amir, Weems or DD can butt heads with Garnett or shoot over Pierce in the post or crossover dribble Allen for a layup I shall join the campaign. Until then, just play ball and forget the cheap titillations.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys remember the television show Married With Children, with Al Bundy? His favorite magazine was called "Big 'Uns".

Anyway, I think instead of Young Onez, they should've gone with "Young 'Unz". This way it's still Young Ones, but also, YounG unZ.

Do you see what I did there?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This whole Young Gunz movement will fall apart quickly if the team sucks bad and they play like 3 average run of the mill guys,nobody will care...

Raptors Republic Rookie the_aftermath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was more MLSE push behind this, get whatever revenue comes their way >_>

I want to say that Sonny, Demar and Amir would not have chosen the "Onez" suffix for themselves as its... well embarrassing. Atleast with the "Guns" it was semi-cool.

Ditto on the they're nothing until proven something.

Post Thanks / Like

If anything, it's a good marketing ploy. I know the Bucks' Andrew Bogut has something similar in Milwaukee called "Squad 6" where the whole section is a bunch of basketball fanatics that cheer, make noise and taunt the opposition. Could use some of that energy in the lower bowl game in, game out - and what better players to use than the guys who have been the most visible in the community? I think it's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote the_aftermath wrote: View Post
    I think it was more MLSE push behind this, get whatever revenue comes their way >_>
    Agreed. Whether people like it or not, this game is a business 1st and foremost.

All this talk about "earning a nickname" ... do you really think that's any more credible? There's no difference, It'll be just as contrived. Whether it be a reporter, news headline, or security guard who gives them that nick name...

What are you guys expecting when they "earn" their nick name?

"gets to the line 20 times a game group" ?

"young 40% shooters" ?

"decent shot selection dudes" ?

Whether they "earn" a name or not, it all comes down to marketing the players, the team and the league.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sure the league won't let us use that nickname because it contains the word "guns" and thats not positive for the leagues image. David stern has really turned this league into another Wnba. All these soft calls and movie cross promotion suck Velociraptor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information