The Raptors Are Fun to Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raptors Are Fun to Watch

A couple of poor fast break opportunities last night drove me nuts at times but other than that the Raptors are actually fun to watch this year.

I've enjoyed the first two games more than all games last year. They do not hold the ball on O, they work hard on D, and they get out and run whenever possible.

It is also good to hear opposing teams talk about the defense. Devlin was saying last night that a Cav player headed in to the locker room at half time said they have never experienced aggressive defense from a Raptors team.

Kinda makes you wonder what ESPN was thinking earlier this month when they pegged them as the worst team in the NBA to go watch.... basically, instructing the NBA fan base NOT to go to their teams home games if Toronto was playing. Which, if you ask me, is pretty much brutal. Isn't ESPN and the NBA in cahoots? Doesn't that make that type of article really out of line?

Comment

Hopefully they can keep it up for a whole season, and against teams who are not bottom-dwellers. It's one thing to do it to an undermanned Cavs team. It's another to do the same to the Lakers, Jazz, Blazers, Magic, Celtics etc. whom they play in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

I agree Matt. I think they're fun to watch because most of us don't have the same expectations that we've had for the last 10 years. We don't necessarily have any pressure and really, can it get any worse?

Not saying that this season isn't going to be frustrating to watch, but accepting that we likely won't make the playoffs makes watching Raptors ball this year much easier to swallow. Anything more will be a bonus.

Comment

Definitely fun to watch. Playoffs are only a bonus, not to be expected. I'm fine with that. What I'm looking for is for Weems and Derozan to develop as sharp-shooters with a varied arsenal. (and improve their defense) Davis to develop his toughness and acumen in the post both on offense and D. Alabi to be given the chance to see if he is the real thing. Dorsey to develop and earn some job security. Kleiza and Barbosa to find their place as integral gears in a system. Wright to blossom into a dependable rotation player. Bargnani to reliably get 25 per, not at the expense of the team. Jose to get traded for Diaw. The trade exception used to add toughness, youth and talent.

Finally, to get lottery pick Kyrie Irving at the 2011 draft. 2 more years and we are contenders for the Eastern.

Comment

No doubt the expectations are lower and it has only been 2 games. I'm not saying the Raps are playoff bound.

What I am saying is the style of play is much better than anything seen from the Raptors the last number of years. They could always score but rarely in transition and they couldn't stop a corpse on D.

Raptors games are exciting to watch. I hope it continues.

Comment

I agree, they are fun to watch! JC8 is actually trying hard on defense, keeping his man in front of him. Even though he's on a bit of a slump, at least he still dishing out dimes.
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Idk.. yesterday's game was like watching a D League game. I watched a few other teams play this week and there's a major difference going on. I'll be able to better tell after 20 games.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                  Idk.. yesterday's game was like watching a D League game. I watched a few other teams play this week and there's a major difference going on. I'll be able to better tell after 20 games.
                  I'm talking about 2 games of this season vs. over 240 games the last three seasons. Last season, like the previous few seasons, were painful to endure watching. These last 2 games have been fun to watch, as per original comment:

no holding the ball on O
                  playing aggressive D
                  getting out and running

I'm not comparing the Raptors to anyone else. I do not care if people think they finish last in the conference. I do not care if they suck. I do not care Bargnani only had 1 rebound last night.

All I'm saying is the 2 games and the style of play have been fun to watch. I hope it continues.

Comment

agree. we may not be even that good, but its a blast to see us play.
                    Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

Rap fans need to be patient with this team as long as they show they want to be on the court. Part of this comes from everyone sharing the ball and knowing their roles especially on defense. It's too early to tell since they have essentially played 2 teams which were not very good frankly. I think the best improvement might well be in the coaching with the Carlesimo and Roth additions and JT now not having to deal with star power when drawing up game plans. There was no question before about how many touches CB was going to get (and probably rightly so). I noticed his timeouts had a good rhythm to them as well. Lets see how they perform during the next 10 games. They can lose ...but how they do so against the good teams shall tell on the character and talent. I still have nightmares about that 81 pt game by Kobe and how the team just laid down...incredible.

Comment

On offense I think we've been ok too watch.

On defense I have really enjoyed watching us play with pressure. Against teams that are weak at point guard I think we will be very good. Jose and Jack, while being bad at keeping their man in front have shown a lot of ability playing passing lanes and doubling in the post. Against guys like Rose and Rondo I think we're going to have long nights, but against the DJ Augustine's of the league I think we dominate and the fast breaks made will make us even more fun to watch.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Why the Raps have been entertaining so far:

1. Barbosa's ability to slash at will
                          2. The defensive pressure
                          3. The hope of a giant dunk on every fast break when Demar and Sonny are on the floor
                          4. REGGIE!

Comment

Tmar wrote: View Post
                            Why the Raps have been entertaining so far:

1. Barbosa's ability to slash at will
                            2. The defensive pressure
                            3. The hope of a giant dunk on every fast break when Demar and Sonny are on the floor
                            4. REGGIE!
                            And you notice how we are current the THIRD best defensive team so far, but only 25th in scoring, that says alot, or maybe not.

As long as they remain in the top 15 in terms of defence, I honestly don't where they rank in the offensive side.

Comment

Working...
                            X