The Amir Johnson Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Amir Johnson Thread

I am very curious as to what your impression is of Amir Johnson after the first two games and what you feel the impact of Reggie's strong play and the debut of Ed Davis may have on his season?

Amir is playing himself out of a rotation spot, and if he doesn't learn to stay on the floor, his contract will become the biggest albatross on this roster (as I forsee Calderon regaining a semblance of his shooting game at some point in time. If not though, then holy...is that one giant mozzaball of an issue right there).

In defense of Amir, though, I've seen more than my fair share of cheap fouls called on him thus far in these two games. There was one foul he got called for against Stoudemire in the opener, it was ridiculous. It was at the elbow, Amare fakes a drive, and instead pulls up for a jumper. Amir bites on the fake, and in the process of falling away from Amare (Amir bit on the drive fake hard), somehow gets called for a shooting foul, despite being nowhere near Amare as he pulled up for the shot. No way was that a just call. One or two of those a game is all it takes, and Amir is riding the pine there on out, his confidence in his ability to play proper defence shot.

Comment

Amir has to consistently be better than the other team's backup PF in any given game (assuming Davis takes the starting role). He needs to be a legitimate anchor for the second unit, who, while not being a contender, would get a mention in the conversation for 6th man of the year (in the future, of course).

He definitely has that potential, in my opinion, but whether or not he gets that opportunity, as a result of his fouls or the current logjam at the 4, is an entirely different case.

I could live with Amir being traded, but I'd need a good reason to see Evans go.

Comment

I'm not sure where Amir fits on this roster anymore. Evans has been outplaying him and Ed Davis should be seeing big minutes by Christmas so what do we do with Amir?
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Good question, I was thinking the same thing. It's only 2 games but man...big disappointment so far.

This whole Reggie playing good is throwing the whole rotation a huge curveball.

Let that be a reminder to u all why u shouldn't eat Skittles.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Tough start, but it's only two games. Reggie's contract is expiring this year so I doubt Amir will be traded. They signed him for his potential, which is a weird thing to say for a guy who's been in the league for five years.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
              I'm not sure where Amir fits on this roster anymore. Evans has been outplaying him and Ed Davis should be seeing big minutes by Christmas so what do we do with Amir?
              Probably not trade him. The Raptors looked to be bidding against themselves in July...

Comment

Imo he is playing scared. See it in his body lang. and of course tentative play. This because he is quite aware of the "albatross" (fouling). His value to the team has been his energy which of course has also led to his foul problems apart from him having a rep with the refs. As with all things about the team it's too early to tell. Hope he works at it. Nevertheless he comes across as a team guy and hard worker so the coaches should encourage and keep working with him about recognizing game situations and not being so closely obsessive with man coverage all the time. Thats what gets to me most ...his one on one fouling...I still want him to be aggressive on help def. and rebounding.

Comment

His image in the public eye changed as soon as he signed the big deal. Bosh was out, Johnson was set up to be the successor at PF in the starting five and the big contract seemed to validate the notion. Dislike Boh all you like but he has big shoes to fill and Amir went from welcomed surprise/underdog to expected to deliver every night. If he were a pizza delivery guy I'd have a free pizza right now.

Comment

go YoungOnez!!! - if nothing else happens this year the Raptors will set a first - the only franchise in sports history to base an entire marketing campaign around second string players

Comment

He's been exactly what i said he would be.....garbage buckets...bad D and stupid needless fouls....

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                        He's been exactly what i said he would be.....garbage buckets...bad D and stupid needless fouls....
                        He's fouling isn't changing - too bad. But garbage buckets? What's better than an offensive rebound put back up for an easy score? Would you rather have someone that's double-teamed jack up a prayer? Scoring efficiency shouldn't be scoffed at as "garbage". Few players run the floor and jump like he does - for further easy scores. I think 62% FG is pretty solid.

Where do you get your "bad D" comments? Last year he had the best on/off court Def differential.
                        http://basketballvalue.com/topplayer...&sortorder=ASC
                        What explains this? Not bad D I assure you.

But its all a moot point if he continues to foul at such a torrid pace.
                        http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Its Hard To Believe That Johnson is Making As Much Money as Blake Griffin

Did Johnson steal $30 million from MLSE?

It could be

At his foul rate his contract could be untradeable.

When Davis can play Johnson could be at the end of the bench dreaming up his next video.

Got to admit it looks like Johnson pulled a Ryan Leaf and I didn't see it coming with Johnson though I did with Leaf.

We shall see.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            Did Johnson steal $30 million from MLSE?

It could be

At his foul rate his contract could be untradeable.

When Davis can play Johnson could be at the end of the bench dreaming up his next video.

Got to admit it looks like Johnson pulled a Ryan Leaf and I didn't see it coming with Johnson though I did with Leaf.

We shall see.
                            Wow Buddafan, finally, welcome to reality.
                            Never thought you would ever make that post of a statement. I was gonna say wait another year till he finally realizes BC made YET another stupid signing.
                            But, hats off to you buddy.
                            Last edited by matt; Tue Nov 2, 2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

We should appreciate the fact that the Raptors Supreme Mastermind GM Bryan Colangelo gave him that money. Where oh where would we be without Bryan Colangelo?!? We damn well wouldn't be as entertained as we are now (for all the wrong reasons)
                              Last edited by nubreed000; Tue Nov 2, 2010, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X