Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blake Griffin is getting underpaid and is on rookie contract. /thread

Comment

Can't believe I'm saying this but Reggie has made Amir Redundant. Evans Cleans the glass so well no one even cares about amir's hustle anymore.
      What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        Did Johnson steal $30 million from MLSE?

It could be

At his foul rate his contract could be untradeable.

When Davis can play Johnson could be at the end of the bench dreaming up his next video.

Got to admit it looks like Johnson pulled a Ryan Leaf and I didn't see it coming with Johnson though I did with Leaf.

We shall see.

The $30 m signing is looking like an albatross now - that is the result of offering a contract based on less than a season of play. Add the Jose and Andrea contracts and the cap space, we need in a rebuild(to acquire players for draft picks and draft day trades) is really limited. I am just wondering how much BC would sign Weems to.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
          The $30 m signing is looking like an albatross now - that is the result of offering a contract based on less than a season of play.
          More like last week of the season play where Johnson had 3 games where he averaged close to 20 points a game. I really believe that Brian Colangelo gave him that big contract because of that performance and the belief that Amir as a result (last week of the season) reached that next level and that a bidding war would ensue if he wouldn't secure him, there is no other explanation (Colangelo panicked after losing Bosh and decided to throw big money to secure Amir). Johnson fooled Toronto like he fooled Detroit by making others believe that he has untapped potential and that he is more then just a foul prone garbage man, history usually repeats itself in the NBA but some GM's never learn.
          Last edited by Hotshot; Tue Nov 2, 2010, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            Did Johnson steal $30 million from MLSE?

It could be

At his foul rate his contract could be untradeable.

When Davis can play Johnson could be at the end of the bench dreaming up his next video.

Got to admit it looks like Johnson pulled a Ryan Leaf and I didn't see it coming with Johnson though I did with Leaf.

We shall see.
            It's very big of you to say that given how strongly you supported him. I wouldn't use a Ryan Leaf analogy though. Leaf's personality killed his career (ie: saying stupid things, fighting with teammates, shouting at reporters, etc). I would compare Amir right now to Adonal Foyle. He was a good guy, who showed promise, his team felt compelled to keep him but unfortunately totally misjudged the market for the guy and came out of the gate with a ridiculous over the top contract offer.

Comment

Amir, he has the talent, he just doesn't know how to put it out there on the court. He's got to learn ho to play without fouling, or at this point play less aggressive defense... He's gotta stay on the court.

Comment

you guys are all jokers.....its 3 games into the season and already Amir is useless, what an overpayed player.....trade him.......

Come on people, its three games into the season. Do you really think that Reggie will be able to play at this level all season 2ppg and 14rpg. Lets be realistic. At this rate the guy is going to be so banged up in a few weeks hes gonna have to take nights off just to have his wounds heal from the game before. Amir will have his time to shine, lets give this season a few more weeks before we start the amir's contract is worse then Marcus Banks contract threads
                Last edited by m5racer; Tue Nov 2, 2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  Amir has to consistently be better than the other team's backup PF in any given game (assuming Davis takes the starting role). He needs to be a legitimate anchor for the second unit, who, while not being a contender, would get a mention in the conversation for 6th man of the year (in the future, of course).

He definitely has that potential, in my opinion, but whether or not he gets that opportunity, as a result of his fouls or the current logjam at the 4, is an entirely different case.

I could live with Amir being traded, but I'd need a good reason to see Evans go.
                  Good reason to see Evans go - a first rounder in the late teens(#16-#20) which can be coupled with the Miami pick to get a decent player outside the lottery.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    It's very big of you to say that given how strongly you supported him. .
                    I agree 100%. I was one of the few people who was against the signing and was very frustrated by Buddah when he was defending Amir and ... But it take a big man to come out and question himself and admit that he/she might have been wrong.

So Kuddos to Amir.

Now, as far as Amir goes, I am disapointed. I hope and wish he proves me wrong and show he deserve the money and show that he has improved and... I have not seen it yet !!

Now, with the way Evans is Playing and Davis coming back, time is runing out on Amir. If Evans continue his strong play and if thr coaching staff decide to give time to Davis, then Amir will be at the end of the bench and that is neither good for him, nor for Raptors who have him on books for next 5 years.

Lets not also forget the role of coaching staff of Raptors here. They NEED a big man coach for this team, Amir and AB do not have a post game and we have almost 16 milion a season invested on our young bigs. Add to that group Alabi and you see the need for a great big man coach for this team.
                    Last edited by Raptor4Ever; Tue Nov 2, 2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Amir didn't force BC to pay him 30 million plus- he was looking for 20 something going into free agency as I recall him saying. That being said he needs to step it up on both ends a bit more.

Give me 20 games of watching Amir play for a more factual based opinion on his game this season.

Comment

m5racer wrote: View Post
                        you guys are all jokers.....its 3 games into the season and already Amir is useless, what an overpayed player.....trade him.......

Come on people, its three games into the season. Do you really think that Reggie will be able to play at this level all season 2ppg and 14rpg. Lets be realistic. At this rate the guy is going to be so banged up in a few weeks hes gonna have to take nights off just to have his wounds heal from the game before. Amir will have his time to shine, lets give this season a few more weeks before we start the amir's contract is worse then Marcus Banks contract threads

+1

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Probably not trade him. The Raptors looked to be bidding against themselves in July...
                          Golden State was said to have had some interest in Amir, but backed out the second they heard Colangelo was interested in resigning him.
                          Joshua Priemski
                          NBA blogger
                          SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                          www.RufusOnFire.com/
                          www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Golden State just elected to not pick up the 4th year option on their 2007 8th overall pick Brandon Wright. They cited uncertainty about the new CBA as the reasoning. The 4th year was $4.5M.

Comment

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is how the signing of Amir put the Raptors over the salary cap, giving them the ability to use the MLE, which they did on Kleiza. So, perhaps the large contract was by design: you need to spend a little to spend some more, if you will. Choice a) Small Amir contract, no MLE Choice b) Larger Amir contract + Linas Kleiza,

I'm not saying it was the best signing, as there certainly was not a need for the 5 years he got, or the annual increases, nor does it set a good precedent for resigning Weems, but, looking at other players who got paid as he did, I'd still take Amir over others like Gooden and Darko.

I think too that Evans playing so damn well might have kinda psyched Amir out a bit, knowing he can't grab as many boards as him, and that Davis is gonna get significant minutes when he comes back. It's obvious to anyone who looks that Amir at this point is going to be the third option, and that can't be sitting well with him.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                                One thing I don't think has been mentioned is how the signing of Amir put the Raptors over the salary cap, giving them the ability to use the MLE, which they did on Kleiza. So, perhaps the large contract was by design: you need to spend a little to spend some more, if you will. Choice a) Small Amir contract, no MLE Choice b) Larger Amir contract + Linas Kleiza,
                                That doesn't fly with me. They didn't need to give him five years if that were the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X