Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: "rumbles of curiosity" from Raps in Arenas

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Zigus wrote: View Post
    This dude is PURE! basketball. he would make us into a playoff team instantly. every one on this team would look better including the coach.
    I don't think so. Gilbert is way passed his prime. He has $60M left on his contract, he demands the ball and he will just hurt our chemistry and growth. If he decides to change, he is capable of being great but I don't think we need to risk him turning out how he most likely will, a guy who brings the ball up and shoots, causes off and on court trouble and takes up cap-space. Unless we get to unload Calderon and get ALL of their picks then I won't even consider a trade for Arenas.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutplaza wrote: View Post
    yes please.. if there is a basketball god please take jose+bank for arenas
    or anyone, with the exception of davis,dd or bargs

    any one down for getting Baron Davis???
    if they take jose I say do it.
    You think BOTH Arenas and Baron Davis would be a good idea? Can I ask you a question? Are you enjoying 2005? Also, if you have any bank stock, or really any stock other than Apple, it would be a good idea to sell.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    You think BOTH Arenas and Baron Davis would be a good idea? Can I ask you a question? Are you enjoying 2005? Also, if you have any bank stock, or really any stock other than Apple, it would be a good idea to sell.
    LOL I didn't see that post. LMFAO Baron Davis. I don't think Bargnani has ever seen Davis play proper basketball on the court...

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Rookie brakeman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Sure, I could list examples of franchise players for you - a franchise player is a guy that if an organization lost, it would take them years to get back to where they were. The organization would be devestated - or to a lesser degree would be significantly worse by their departure. I'm talking about guys like Lebron, Wade, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant - those guys are franchise players. Andrea Bargnani isn't. He's a very good player, but not a franchise player - and isn't paid like one either.

    Right, so we should have taken Gay or Roy - that's why a lot of other teams both passed on both of those guys - and neither of them are franchise guys either. They're both very good in their own right however. You take the guy with the most potential, especially in a crapshoot draft like that. There was never a clear-cut #1 guy. You saying that we should have take Gay or Roy because we needed a wing is not very good logic in a draft like that. You always take the best player available, not taking someone based on need.

    I do believe your comments of "he'll never be selected to an all star team" is a bit premature. He does have the tools to be an all-star, especially in the East.
    We didn't need another front court player we had Bosh. In my opinion in a weak draft I would have drafted a known commodity in Gay and hoped my scouting staff had picked up on Roy. I would not have drafted an unknown player on potential. Just because other G.M's missed those two doesn't mean its ok for ours to. Its too dangerous and irresponsible for a franchise to do with a number one pick. Trade it and get a couple of other pieces that make your team better because in my opinion the franchise has regressed since colangelo took over and has not demanded accountability form his #1 pick. His potential card in my opinion ran out in year 4. You don't break out in year 5 what we see now is what were always going to get. Anyways heinz57 in right about hijacking the thread.

  5. #45
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brakeman1 wrote: View Post
    We didn't need another front court player we had Bosh. In my opinion in a weak draft I would have drafted a known commodity in Gay and hoped my scouting staff had picked up on Roy. I would not have drafted an unknown player on potential. Just because other G.M's missed those two doesn't mean its ok for ours to. Its too dangerous and irresponsible for a franchise to do with a number one pick. Trade it and get a couple of other pieces that make your team better because in my opinion the franchise has regressed since colangelo took over and has not demanded accountability form his #1 pick. His potential card in my opinion ran out in year 4. You don't break out in year 5 what we see now is what were always going to get. Anyways heinz57 in right about hijacking the thread.
    We didn't need another front court player? Bargnani is a true 7 footer and happened to be best rated player in the draft. If we passed on him, it was known that Chicago would have selected him at #2. So, that goes to show you how highly others thought about him. Let me ask you - Portland had Aldridge, but a couple of years later, they selected Oden. You know why? Because skilled big men don't exactly grow on trees. Tell me the last time a team traded a top-3 overall pick for "other pieces". It's happened once in recent memory with Brand for Chandler. And you know why it's rare for teams to make those kind of deals? Because that one player has an oppourtunity to make a greater impact for many more years than "other pieces" would.

    Writing off Bargnani right now is foolish. Or saying that he's not a good player is downright silly.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Rookie brakeman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    We didn't need another front court player? Bargnani is a true 7 footer and happened to be best rated player in the draft. If we passed on him, it was known that Chicago would have selected him at #2. So, that goes to show you how highly others thought about him. Let me ask you - Portland had Aldridge, but a couple of years later, they selected Oden. You know why? Because skilled big men don't exactly grow on trees. Tell me the last time a team traded a top-3 overall pick for "other pieces". It's happened once in recent memory with Brand for Chandler. And you know why it's rare for teams to make those kind of deals? Because that one player has an oppourtunity to make a greater impact for many more years than "other pieces" would.

    Writing off Bargnani right now is foolish. Or saying that he's not a good player is downright silly.
    according to you there was no clear #1 so what does the top rated player equate to. How has that worked out for portland. Other than offense does barfs do anything that makes this team better. NO. He is at best an average player always has been always will be. I remember a thread last year about weather we should trade barfs for Noah and it was almost a resounding no. One year later I wonder if anyone will decline that trade? Once he is a major part of this team we will only be in decline. Name another front court focal point of a team that only scores, you need to REBOUND and PROTECT THE PAINT at 7-foot. When I look in his eyes I don't see that fire. The ability is there but I guarantee that's all it will ever amount to. When will you all be realistic and stop using the words potential and what if.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Post the evidence that says the Bulls were going to take Bargs at #2 ?

    If not its BS hearsay like everything else....When you had most of the GMs saying he was virtually unknown thats an unlikely story....I do rememmber it was reported they were high on Aldridge.....

    and Bargnani doesnt have the tools to be an all star in any conference until he rebounds..no coach is going to pick a big man in that game with poorous rebounding numbers when you have guys that will have 12/10..15/10 stat lines....Only shot he will have ever have is if he averages 30 PPG or is top 5 in the league at scoring in Feb and thats a pipedream....

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
    I"m pretty sure he would be the best player on our team. We all know Colangelo doesn't know how to draft players or sign them! so why not bring in Arenas? We actually have someone who can take over a game and win it for us in the fourth!

    In Washington, all eyes are on John Wall now, there's no need for Gilbert Arenas! we traded for jermaine o'neal who was due 42 million for 2 seasons way past his prime!! Yet no one cared!

    Bring Him to Toronto! We're just gonna waste our draft and trade exception on someone useless anyways knowing Colangelo!!
    Your posting priviledges should be banned. Lets look at BC's draft history:

    '95 Michael Finaly
    '96 Steve Nash
    '97 Stephen Jackson
    '99 Shawn Marion
    '02 Amare Stoudemire
    '03 traded for the draft rights to Barbosa
    '04 Luol Deng (then traded as Sarver traded many first round picks due to not wanting to pay guaranteed contracts)
    '06 AB
    '09 DD
    '10 Davis

    Then there are the many trades he has made. He usually comes out better.

    Regardless of drafting or trading, you can't win them all. However if you look at his history I would certainly say he makes many more good decisions than poor. Here is his history:

    http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with you I am falling for the names alittle and the contracts aren't the greatest,
    but right now we're paying 18 million per season at the point and getting smoked.
    I feel Arenas more than Baron still have game. Baron did thrive in golden states uptempo offence and both players would be motivated by the change.
    two years left on baron contract is better then four on calderon.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    haha nice.. thanks i did invest in silver
    come on baron is only 31.

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can see BC swinging for the fences as usual. The only thing is that why would a rival GM help another GM. I mean they scored with Wall but if Gil stays where he is, the Wizards will be literally handcuffed for years. I mean, they can't even make minor moves. The TPE is not big enough for his salary. He's a good player but he is a nutjob. He can still play but if things are left the way they are, we don't need to help Washington. We just need to mind our business. Maybe Charlotte or the Knicks swing something for Gil, I just don't see the Raps doing it, even if the price (whatever that means) is right.

    A normal "new" Gil and DeMar could be an interesting backcourt tandem. We're all allowed to dream right? Also, I can see Gil coming if they're trying to develop Barg's inside game. But he's a perimeter player and we don't need another perimeter guy to stretch the floor.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutplaza wrote: View Post
    haha nice.. thanks i did invest in silver
    come on baron is only 31.
    Yes, Baron Davis may only be 31, but when's the last time you actually saw him play? The last time he was a good player was 4 years ago. And what does it say if the CLIPPERS want to get rid of you. He's got possibly the worst salary in the league (either he or Arenas), has never played defense, is constantly injured and out of shape and has really only had 3 really good years out of his 11+in the NBA. Seriously. Take a look at his stats. He's got to be one of the most overrated players in the last decade.

    And I think he stopped caring about basketball about 4 years ago.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    Post the evidence that says the Bulls were going to take Bargs at #2 ?

    If not its BS hearsay like everything else....When you had most of the GMs saying he was virtually unknown thats an unlikely story....I do rememmber it was reported they were high on Aldridge.....

    and Bargnani doesnt have the tools to be an all star in any conference until he rebounds..no coach is going to pick a big man in that game with poorous rebounding numbers when you have guys that will have 12/10..15/10 stat lines....Only shot he will have ever have is if he averages 30 PPG or is top 5 in the league at scoring in Feb and thats a pipedream....
    Here is on our draft grade where we got an A-

    Hollinger showing how good Bargnani actually was

    Chad Ford also thinks Bargnani is the "real deal"

    This is SI's mock draft

    Another Mock Draft


    NBAdraft.net also thinks Bargnani was going 1st


    The only draft site which didn't project Bargnani going first was Scout.com who projected him 5th

    Unless a player isn't considered to be "able" to be first overall pick, they don't get all this media exposure. You can't find evidence that any team is going to take a certain player unless it's a 100% like Griffin, Wall, LeBron, Yao etc..

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    So, with the skillset Andrea has being a 7-footer and him currently being 7th in the NBA in scoring, Colangelo doesn't know how to draft?

    Please try again.
    When you say skillset I hope your joking? Like his amazing rebounding prowess, his help defense, his wicked fade away jumper when posting up against a shooting guard?? Sorry Mango, I don't have to try! Who cares if a 7 footer can shoot threes?? It's not a novelty anymore, it's a requirement! And who cares about him being 7th in the league in scoring, Reggie Evans is top three in the league for rebounds, does that mean he should be put on first team all nba???
    Last edited by JalenRose5; Sat Nov 6th, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: reword

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
    When you say skillset I hope your joking? Like his amazing rebounding prowess, his help defense, his wicked fade away jumper when posting up against a shooting guard?? Sorry Mango, I don't have to try! Who cares if a 7 footer can shoot threes?? It's not a novelty anymore, it's a requirement! And who cares if he's seventh in the league for scoring, What the hell is their record????
    1-4

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Your posting priviledges should be banned. Lets look at BC's draft history:

    '95 Michael Finaly
    '96 Steve Nash
    '97 Stephen Jackson
    '99 Shawn Marion
    '02 Amare Stoudemire
    '03 traded for the draft rights to Barbosa
    '04 Luol Deng (then traded as Sarver traded many first round picks due to not wanting to pay guaranteed contracts)
    '06 AB
    '09 DD
    '10 Davis

    Then there are the many trades he has made. He usually comes out better.

    Regardless of drafting or trading, you can't win them all. However if you look at his history I would certainly say he makes many more good decisions than poor. Here is his history:

    http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
    You are right, I am wrong. I was heated in the moment and needed someone to blame! Colangelo has had a successful past. I will rephrase and say he has struck out many times for the Raptors! that was what lead to my false statement of him not knowing how to draft and trade. I am just still very bitter about the Bargnani Drafting. And instead of admitting his mistake he tried to clean it up by signing jermaine O'neal to provide toughness because the center he drafted can't rebound or play defense.

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    Outside of Orlando's flirtations, I can only claim to have heard what are best described as "rumbles of curiosity" from the suddenly starless Toronto Raptors. Wouldn't describe it as anything more serious than that, especially when the $14.5 million salary-cap exception that the Raptors created in a sign-and-trade with Miami when Chris Bosh bolted isn't big enough to absorb Arenas' salary-cap number this season. Or when Canada's strict gun laws could well make acquiring Arenas, after a felony conviction, rather complicated even if the Raps were game.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ork-washington
    what strict gun laws?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The "rumble of curiosity" came from the Wizards asking if we'd do them a favour and kindly take Arenas from them for free.

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll take him.
    he's good, he's got real talent.

    he's not an efficient scorer, but he'll give another scoring threat. plus he's a good passer and decente defender. also, he's got motivation.

    let's face it: players worth that salary are not coming to toronto.

    talent is everything, and we have too little. Derozan won't blossom in an all-star.

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pizzaman wrote: View Post
    I would completely change my mind about Colangelo as it would be a completely idiotic move and B.C. would never do it, but sirchillywilly would love having a guy of Arenas character on this team
    haha, that's a new way to show hate.


    it seems to be getting to him. i don't encourage you to continue, but, i would like to see how long it take before he tells you to fuck off.

    i'm in favour of bringing arenas in, it'd be his team if he played well for a few games.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •